Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Books.

Books.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

151 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:24

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
xmiles wrote:George Orwell's first two novels were Burmese Days and A Clergyman's Daughter. His fifth and sixth were Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four but I guess you haven't read them.

I only read books written post-2000.

Why?

152 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:24

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok Trotter wrote:Lee Child has been pretty consistent with his Jack Reacher novels. His first novel, the Killing Floor was a best seller and all his subsequent books have been on point. Michael Connolly is another crime writer who has made Harry Bosch into a household name.

Michael Connelly I will give you, he has written some good books.

153 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:26

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:Why?

Because anything written previous has no relevance to my life today.

How is a book about farm animals written 70-odd years ago going to impact my life today? Or a book about 1984? I was only a baby.

154 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:27

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fair enough. That's why I never read The Bible.

155 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:38

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:Fair enough. That's why I never read The Bible.

Because you were a baby when it was written?

156 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:40

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Fair enough. That's why I never read The Bible.

Because you were a baby when it was written?
No. Because it's got a sad ending.

157 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:43

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Blasphemy.

158 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:45

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:Blasphemy.
I quite agree. Mind you,the critics were harsher in those days.

159 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:15

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:I never read more than the first two books by an author because they are all shit.

The first book has to be good to get it published, the second book equally good to get a long term deal. Then the author just writes any old shit and the "fans" go out and buy it regardless.

By book 10 the "fans" finally cotton on that the author is taking the piss - but by then the author is a very rich person and no longer gives a shit.


Lee Child has been pretty consistent with his Jack Reacher novels. His first novel, the Killing Floor was a best seller and all his subsequent books have been on point. Michael Connolly is another crime writer who has made Harry Bosch into a household name.
I like Jack Reacher for a holiday read because it moves along quickly and the writing is stylish even if the story lines are a bit predictable, but I've never read Connolly and the name Harry Bosch isn't really known in this particular household. I do have one of his on my Kindle though - The Black Echo - so I might give that a try next.

Iirc The Black Echo was his very first novel and it got me hooked. Give it a try Wander and you won't be disappointed. As well as Jack Reacher for holiday reading I enjoy the Harlen Coben stand alone novels, not the Myron Bolitar series. Also Greg Iles and Linwood Barclay are very good thriller writers as well.

160 Re: Books. on Tue Jul 04 2017, 17:19

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Why?

Because anything written previous has no relevance to my life today.

How is a book about farm animals written 70-odd years ago going to impact my life today? Or a book about 1984? I was only a baby.

Have you ever read a Wilbur Smith novel? He does his research well and his description of Africa back in the day is very good. I started reading Wilbur Smith in my teens and I'm nearly sixty and Smith is still going strong. 

I used to like Tom Sharpe. His earlier stuff like Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback, Vintage Stuff, Wilt etc were hilarious but his later stuff was nowhere near as funny.

161 Re: Books. on Wed Jul 05 2017, 08:39

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Just finished Peter Hooks book on New Order, i can safely say that there is no chance of him rejoining New Order after reading his book. He really slags off Bernard Sumner as a moaner and control freak all the way through it.
A good read but Hooky comes across as very bitter.

162 Re: Books. on Thu Jul 06 2017, 15:55

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A must read.

163 Re: Books. on Thu Jul 13 2017, 21:19

finlaymcdanger


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
boltonbonce wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:Timbuktu arrived today, Bonce. The English version!
cheers  Strangely enough Fin,I recommended a book to Breadman some time ago,and he did exactly the same thing.

Quite a touching little book, Bonce. Very good ending too although it did catch me a bit by surprise. Thanks for recommending!

164 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 17:06

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Any Philip Pullman fans out there?

Looking forward to reading his latest.

165 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 17:36

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Never read any of his stuff but everybody raves about His Dark Materials.

Any kop?

166 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 17:42

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:Never read any of his stuff but everybody raves about His Dark Materials.

Any kop?
Loved them. The religious mob didn't care for them though.

167 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 18:28

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Cheers.

Off to Th'Amazon then.....

168 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 18:33

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:Cheers.

Off to Th'Amazon then.....
Some great Winter reading for you.
Just don't start at the end,like my smiley apparently did.

169 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 20:31

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I always have a book on the go. the usual crime fiction that most people read now and again a new author crops up latest for me was Liz Nugent a real twist at the end of her latest book. I like historical fiction (the Tudors) done the Lee Child books but became a bit bored so had a change.

I like the odd autobiography as well.

170 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 21:03

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wessy wrote:I always have a book on the go. the usual crime fiction that most people read now and again a new author crops up latest for me was Liz Nugent a real twist at the end of her latest book. I like historical fiction (the Tudors) done the Lee Child books but became a bit bored so had a change.

I like the odd autobiography as well.
Talking books are great too.
Often listen on the way to,or in,work,and in the bath.

171 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 22:22

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
boltonbonce wrote:
wessy wrote:I always have a book on the go. the usual crime fiction that most people read now and again a new author crops up latest for me was Liz Nugent a real twist at the end of her latest book. I like historical fiction (the Tudors) done the Lee Child books but became a bit bored so had a change.

I like the odd autobiography as well.
Talking books are great too.
Often listen on the way to,or in,work,and in the bath.
My wife uses the audio books but for now i still prefer a book

172 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 22:24

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wessy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
wessy wrote:I always have a book on the go. the usual crime fiction that most people read now and again a new author crops up latest for me was Liz Nugent a real twist at the end of her latest book. I like historical fiction (the Tudors) done the Lee Child books but became a bit bored so had a change.

I like the odd autobiography as well.
Talking books are great too.
Often listen on the way to,or in,work,and in the bath.
My wife uses the audio books but for now i still prefer a book
And they're easier to chuck at the cat. Very Happy

173 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 22:24

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:Often listen on the way to,or in,work,and in the bath.

I've told you before, stop putting those images in my head. Especially before bed.

174 Re: Books. on Thu Oct 19 2017, 22:27

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Often listen on the way to,or in,work,and in the bath.

I've told you before, stop putting those images in my head. Especially before bed.
I didn't mean to arouse you. Take a cold shower.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum