Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books.

+22
sunlight
DEANO82
Sluffy
wessy
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
Chairmanda
Cajunboy
karlypants
Lard Lad
Bollotom2014
Bread2.0
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
wanderlust
xmiles
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
okocha
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 16]

31Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 15:32

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:The best books ever written are the Adrian Mole books.

have to agree Nat, love the early books especially

32Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 15:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

P G Wodehouse always has me on the floor. Can't think of a funnier writer.

33Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:13

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:i mainly read books relating to music and musicians now. I've read the autobiographies by Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook Pete Townshend and Stewart Copeland recently and am currently reading a book about Martin Hannett (the producer who did all the Joy Division stuff and other Factory bands, he also worked with U2 on their first single).

I've got a load to wade through as well yet, Morriseys autobiography, a book aout the rise and fall of Factory records and the collections of lyrics and other articles about Ian Curtis and Nick Drake.

As for fiction, not so much these days but i still love James Ellroy.

Have you read the latest Ellroy? Not up to his usual standard but still good.

Curious to hear what you make of the Morrissey autobiography as he has always struck me as a complete and utter twat.

34Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:19

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

bwfc1874 wrote:Going through a sci-fi phase at the moment so read the first of Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam series which was brilliant, definitely recommend it. Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama which was good. Philip K dick Man in the High Castle next I think. Can't remember who said it but I bought the Hopkins Manuscript by R C Sheriff which is on the list too.

Man in the High Castle is a classic.

Depending on what kind of sci-fi you like I would recommend Iain M Banks, Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton. Banks non sci-fi is good too. For the ordinary fiction he drops the M from his name. Try The Wasp Factory - that's a book you are unlikely to forget once you've read it.

35Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:21

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Christmas present!

Last edited by Norpig on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:24; edited 1 time in total

36Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Going through a sci-fi phase at the moment so read the first of Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam series which was brilliant, definitely recommend it. Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama which was good. Philip K dick Man in the High Castle next I think. Can't remember who said it but I bought the Hopkins Manuscript by R C Sheriff which is on the list too.

Man in the High Castle is a classic.

Depending on what kind of sci-fi you like I would recommend Iain M Banks, Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton. Banks non sci-fi is good too. For the ordinary fiction he drops the M from his name. Try The Wasp Factory - that's a book you are unlikely to forget once you've read it.
The Wasp Factory is a great read.
Only really started reading his stuff in the last few years.

37Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:26

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Chrsitmas present!

Assuming you are reading them in sequence you only have Blood's A Rover to read to finish his Underworld USA trilogy and then you can get Perfidia which is set before the LA Quartet in 1941.

38Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:37

Anyone read George P Pelecanos? I've read a couple of the DC quartet series and really enjoyed them. Good crime novels. And he did a lot of work on the Wire, so he must be a boss.

39Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:P G Wodehouse always has me on the floor. Can't think of a funnier writer.

Tom Sharpe's earlier stuff was brilliant. Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback and Vintage Stuff all had me in stitches. His early Wilt novels were funny as well.

40Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agree about Sharpe. Loved 'Blott on the Landscape.
The TV version was great too.

41Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Agree about Sharpe. Loved 'Blott on the Landscape.
The TV version was great too.

I agree. Alas his later stuff went a bit flat. I have read all of his books but his earlier stuff outshines his later novels..

42Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:37

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Tom Sharpe's earlier stuff was brilliant. Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback and Vintage Stuff all had me in stitches. His early Wilt novels were funny as well.

I agree his earlier stuff made me laugh out loud but his later stuff just wasn't as good.

43Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Sat Jan 17 2015, 10:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Chrsitmas present!

Assuming you are reading them in sequence you only have Blood's A Rover to read to finish his Underworld USA trilogy and then you can get Perfidia which is set before the LA Quartet in 1941.

:good:

44Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:20

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

In another attempt to get me reading again I just bought Murakami's After The Quake and Bukowski's Post Office. 25 pages into After The Quake and I'm loving it!

45Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

46Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:46

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

My mate James is named after him. Middle name Joyce  Shocked

47Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:49

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

48Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:08

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Did the Wilbur Smith and Alistair McLean books at college but still go back to Nevil Shute and for the working class stories Ragged Trousered Philanthropists or books by Howard Spring.

49Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:14

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bread2.0 wrote:Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

haha... er... eh?

50Books. - Page 3 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It was a weak gag based on his initials.

I apologise.

Books. - Page 3 1426195468668

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum