You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Books.

Books.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

31 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 15:32

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Natasha Whittam wrote:The best books ever written are the Adrian Mole books.

have to agree Nat, love the early books especially

32 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 15:42

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
P G Wodehouse always has me on the floor. Can't think of a funnier writer.

33 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:13

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:i mainly read books relating to music and musicians now. I've read the autobiographies by Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook Pete Townshend and Stewart Copeland recently and am currently reading a book about Martin Hannett (the producer who did all the Joy Division stuff and other Factory bands, he also worked with U2 on their first single).

I've got a load to wade through as well yet, Morriseys autobiography, a book aout the rise and fall of Factory records and the collections of lyrics and other articles about Ian Curtis and Nick Drake.

As for fiction, not so much these days but i still love James Ellroy.

Have you read the latest Ellroy? Not up to his usual standard but still good.

Curious to hear what you make of the Morrissey autobiography as he has always struck me as a complete and utter twat.

34 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:19

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:Going through a sci-fi phase at the moment so read the first of Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam series which was brilliant, definitely recommend it. Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama which was good. Philip K dick Man in the High Castle next I think. Can't remember who said it but I bought the Hopkins Manuscript by R C Sheriff which is on the list too.

Man in the High Castle is a classic.

Depending on what kind of sci-fi you like I would recommend Iain M Banks, Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton. Banks non sci-fi is good too. For the ordinary fiction he drops the M from his name. Try The Wasp Factory - that's a book you are unlikely to forget once you've read it.

35 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:21

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Christmas present!



Last edited by Norpig on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:24; edited 1 time in total

36 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:23

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
xmiles wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Going through a sci-fi phase at the moment so read the first of Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam series which was brilliant, definitely recommend it. Just finished Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama which was good. Philip K dick Man in the High Castle next I think. Can't remember who said it but I bought the Hopkins Manuscript by R C Sheriff which is on the list too.

Man in the High Castle is a classic.

Depending on what kind of sci-fi you like I would recommend Iain M Banks, Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton. Banks non sci-fi is good too. For the ordinary fiction he drops the M from his name. Try The Wasp Factory - that's a book you are unlikely to forget once you've read it.
The Wasp Factory is a great read.
Only really started reading his stuff in the last few years.

37 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:26

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Chrsitmas present!

Assuming you are reading them in sequence you only have Blood's A Rover to read to finish his Underworld USA trilogy and then you can get Perfidia which is set before the LA Quartet in 1941.

38 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:37

Guest


Guest
Anyone read George P Pelecanos? I've read a couple of the DC quartet series and really enjoyed them. Good crime novels. And he did a lot of work on the Wire, so he must be a boss.

39 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:53

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:P G Wodehouse always has me on the floor. Can't think of a funnier writer.

Tom Sharpe's earlier stuff was brilliant. Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback and Vintage Stuff all had me in stitches. His early Wilt novels were funny as well.

40 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 16:57

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Agree about Sharpe. Loved 'Blott on the Landscape.
The TV version was great too.

41 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:11

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:Agree about Sharpe. Loved 'Blott on the Landscape.
The TV version was great too.

I agree. Alas his later stuff went a bit flat. I have read all of his books but his earlier stuff outshines his later novels..

42 Re: Books. on Fri Jan 16 2015, 17:37

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Reebok Trotter wrote:
Tom Sharpe's earlier stuff was brilliant. Riotous Assembly, Indecent Exposure, The Throwback and Vintage Stuff all had me in stitches. His early Wilt novels were funny as well.

I agree his earlier stuff made me laugh out loud but his later stuff just wasn't as good.

43 Re: Books. on Sat Jan 17 2015, 10:25

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:i haven't read the latest Ellroy yet, i think i may be a few behind as the last one i read was the cold six thousand. I'll let you know about Morrisey, i think the same but it was a Chrsitmas present!

Assuming you are reading them in sequence you only have Blood's A Rover to read to finish his Underworld USA trilogy and then you can get Perfidia which is set before the LA Quartet in 1941.

:good:

44 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:20

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
In another attempt to get me reading again I just bought Murakami's After The Quake and Bukowski's Post Office. 25 pages into After The Quake and I'm loving it!

45 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:14

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

46 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:46

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
boltonbonce wrote:I'm having another go at James Joyce. You've got to love anyone who can produce stuff like this.

“Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo”

My mate James is named after him. Middle name Joyce  Shocked

47 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 15:49

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

48 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:08

Bollotom2014

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Did the Wilbur Smith and Alistair McLean books at college but still go back to Nevil Shute and for the working class stories Ragged Trousered Philanthropists or books by Howard Spring.

49 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:14

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Bread2.0 wrote:Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

haha... er... eh?

50 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It was a weak gag based on his initials.

I apologise.

51 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
the Stranglers bass player is Jean Jacques Burnel

52 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:26

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
beat me to it Breaders  Very Happy

53 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 16:28

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Norpig wrote:beat me to it Breaders  Very Happy

Spooky.  Very Happy

54 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 20:18

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Bread2.0 wrote:It was a weak gag based on his initials.

I apologise.


Sorry, a bit slow today. I blame the lack of booze in my life.

55 Re: Books. on Wed Jan 04 2017, 23:52

Keegan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Currently reading Girl On A Train by British author Paula Hawkins. Got part way through the movie and decided that I would read the book first.

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

56 Re: Books. on Thu Jan 05 2017, 14:53

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Bread2.0 wrote:Please tell me his surname's Burnel?

Just wandered into JJB Sports for some thermals and thought of you. I'm spending too much time on here.

57 Re: Books. on Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:33

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I wandered in here and thought the same thing. Razz

58 Re: Books. on Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:40

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
By "wandered in" do you mean "crashed through the plate glass window" after tripping over your own feet.....?

59 Re: Books. on Thu Jan 05 2017, 15:44

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:By "wandered in" do you mean "crashed through the plate glass window" after tripping over your own feet.....?
Very Happy  I was looking for a replacement in a larger size.

I do tend to get hold of the wrong end of the stick .I chased this van for six miles before seeing the error of my ways.

60 Re: Books. on Tue Jan 10 2017, 17:29

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not been on much due to a bad dose of the flu,and even typing this is exhausting.
However,I wanted to recommend one of the funniest books ever written. 
To my dismay,most people I mention it to haven't even heard of it. I only heard about it myself due to a chance encounter in a book shop.
It's called 'Augustus Carp Esq. By Himself. I recommended it to Bread last year,but I don't know if he managed to get hold of a copy.


Augustus Carp, Esq by Henry Howarth Bashford

Chosen by Philip Ardagh
Although I’m a huge fan of PG Wodehouse in general and his Blandings stories in particular, and although Clive James’s series of unreliable memoirs has caused me to snort out loud in public, and after having weighed up Max Beerbohm’s Seven Men and Two Others, I’ve gone for Augustus Carp Esq, by Himself.
Subtitled “Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man”, and first published in 1924, it begins: “It is customary, I have noticed, in publishing an autobiography to preface it with some sort of apology. But there are times, and surely the present is one of them, when to do so is manifestly unnecessary.” Though written by Dr Henry Howarth Bashford – later Sir Henry, physician to George VI – his name did not appear in the book in his lifetime.
Carp’s nearest relative must be Pooter from Diary of a Nobody but, for me, Carp, the character and the book, surpasses Pooter and the better known classic. Here is a Sunday school superintendent, churchwarden and self-appointed president of a piety league, who religiously highlights the faults in others while constantly trying to pursue his own advancement through “good deeds”. (When falling out with those at the church of St James the Lesser, he joins the congregation of St James the Lesser Still.)
When tricked into believing that port is “a species of fruit squash imported from Portugal and known as Portugalade” he gets terrible “port-poisoning”. It all ends in tears, one of which lands on his employer, causing him to apologise –not to his employer “but to the moisture”. Why? “Because by apologising to the moisture, I was conveying to Mr Chrysostom, in the most trenchant way possible, my own opinion of his character.” Carp is, quite simply, a very British comic masterpiece.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum