Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice Please - New Cars

+3
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice Please - New Cars Empty Advice Please - New Cars Mon May 21 2012, 16:33

For the last 5 years our family car has been an old banger, and while I have deep feelings for it, it's time to upgrade. After 5 years of not going out, eating cheap meals and holding the kids back on their development, we are in a position to buy a new car. Nothing fancy, something middle-of-the-row in keeping with my wife's opinion of me.

As I've never actually bought a new car I need advice on how to approach the dealers. Should I expect to pay the ticket price with maybe a £500 discount to sign up there and then, or will they knock thousands off the ticket price if I play hardball?

2Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Mon May 21 2012, 18:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I suggest you think about buying a car that is around a year old - rather than new - new cars lose an incredable amount of their value as soon as you drive it away from the showroom.

Like anything else it pays to do your homework - look up a car valuation site or pop down to W H Smiths a buy a booklet on it - and it will give you a fair idea as to what you should expect to pay for the type of car you want.

Always try to negotiate the price of the car down rather than accept the asking price - the worst they can say is they don't accept offers.

Ask what sort of a deal they would do for cash - most like you to take out finance deals with them though - don't - you can almost certainly find cheaper ones elsewhere.

If / when you get close to agreeing a deal you can always throw in the line about - ok, fill it up with petrol / stick 6 months tax on it / throw in some mats and a nodding dog / anything you like really / or combinations of everything - and you've got yourself a deal.

Be careful if you are trading in your old car with them - they might give you a good deal on the 'new' car but feck all on the trade in.

Always a good idea to take someone who knows a bit about cars and can tell you what sort of common faults there are on the type and model you are looking at.

Best of luck.

3Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Mon May 21 2012, 20:34

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha, as if anyone on this football forum has experience of buying a new car, you'd have had more luck asking for advice on brain surgery with these geeks.

4Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 16:28

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

are you thinking of buying a new car? as in a brand spanker?

you have children so I assume you need 5 doors, fairly cheap to buy, cheap to run and insure, reliable and comfortable - something like a ford focus?

my mates just bought a kia ceed...(it is spelt ceed) seriously, stay with me here.

ive driven it - its smoother than a greasy bowling alley lane and the handling is as sharp as Natasha's tongue! not the fastest thing with its 1.4 petrol, but I assume speed is not the thing at the top of your list.

safety wise - NCAP 5* rated, 6 air-bags, ABS etc etc...

as standard, even on the base models - DAB radio, CD with MP3/Ipod connection, air con and leccy windows.

a FIVE year unlimited mileage warranty.

Kia are Korean and apparently the quality of the cars they build is second to non (ask Richard Hammond who reviewed one for top gear) hence the five year warranty.

basically, for a ford focus of the same spec you would be looking at about 15/16k ...you can get one of these for 11k.

id say they are better in every way to the focus.

ive even considered one myself seriously if I needed a new car...

5Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 17:21

Sluffy wrote:I suggest you think about buying a car that is around a year old - rather than new - new cars lose an incredable amount of their value as soon as you drive it away from the showroom.

I know what you say is true but unfortunately I made the fatal mistake of promising my wife a brand new car "in 3 years" back in 2009.

6Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 17:22

Reebok_Rebel wrote:are you thinking of buying a new car? as in a brand spanker?

you have children so I assume you need 5 doors, fairly cheap to buy, cheap to run and insure, reliable and comfortable - something like a ford focus?

my mates just bought a kia ceed...(it is spelt ceed) seriously, stay with me here.

ive driven it - its smoother than a greasy bowling alley lane and the handling is as sharp as Natasha's tongue! not the fastest thing with its 1.4 petrol, but I assume speed is not the thing at the top of your list.

safety wise - NCAP 5* rated, 6 air-bags, ABS etc etc...

as standard, even on the base models - DAB radio, CD with MP3/Ipod connection, air con and leccy windows.

a FIVE year unlimited mileage warranty.

Kia are Korean and apparently the quality of the cars they build is second to non (ask Richard Hammond who reviewed one for top gear) hence the five year warranty.

basically, for a ford focus of the same spec you would be looking at about 15/16k ...you can get one of these for 11k.

id say they are better in every way to the focus.

ive even considered one myself seriously if I needed a new car...

I'd buy one tomorrow, especially at that price. Unfortunately my wife has her eye on a Honda Civic. I have a few weeks to change her mind. But thanks for the info, I'd have been better marrying you Very Happy

7Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 19:09

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

You romantic, you...

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

8Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 20:32

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to always drive Fords until I bought a Honda Integra. I like the Japanese cars because all the extras come as standard whereas with Ford you have to pay for any extras.

My last two cars have been Hyundai's. I had an Accent CDX automatic and I never had an ounce of problem with it but it was a petrol engine. When the warranty was up I traded it in for a Hyundai Santa Fe automatic diesel and it is a very comfortable drive.

I don't think you can beat Hyundai and Kia for value for money. Kia do a seven year warranty but Hyundai only do five.

9Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 21:25

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

VW Sharan Bluemotion.

Well built.

Plenty of room for 5 crumb snatchers in the back and the seats fold down into the floor so that you can sleep in it if you fall out with the missus.

10Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Tue May 22 2012, 21:26

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:

the seats fold down into the floor so that you can sleep in it if you fall out with the missus.

Have never considered that plus point when I have been shopping for a motor.

11Advice Please - New Cars Empty Re: Advice Please - New Cars Wed May 23 2012, 10:46

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I would only buy a brand new car to keep until the scrap yard beckons or you have a classic on your hands and it may be worth more than it was when new but apart from the last megane with the sexy bum i dont think any of the new cars will become classics. So its better to buy a year old and save a load of folding.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum