Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comedians

+11
jayjay23
aaron_bwfc
Angry Dad
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Keegan
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
largehat
doffcocker
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Comedians Empty Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:01

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Channel 4's Comedy Gala was a real eye-opener that you don't need to be funny to be a comedian. I have been aware of this fact ever since James Corden's emergence into the world of comedy, but never before have I seen as many shit entertainers on one stage, in one night. I even think these people know in themselves that they're useless and can't sometimes believe their luck when they come up against audiences as merciful as the other night.

I believe I'm funnier than at least half of those so called comedians, but wouldn't have the shame to try and make a career out of it, so I'm sticking to accountancy.

Could you hack it as a stand-up comedian, baring in mind the current standard?

2Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:11

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think you're right Doffoccker. Most stand up comedians on the TV are absolutely shit. A good mate of mine sticks stand up comedy on every night at home and loves it.

Jimmy Carr is a perfect example. He is not only shit, he is really shit. It actually annoys me when I see people laughing at his jokes. I think at least some of them must be embarrassed that they've paid to see him and are making the most of it - laughter is a primarily social function.

3Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:I think you're right Doffoccker. Most stand up comedians on the TV are absolutely shit. A good mate of mine sticks stand up comedy on every night at home and loves it.

Jimmy Carr is a perfect example. He is not only shit, he is really shit. It actually annoys me when I see people laughing at his jokes. I think at least some of them must be embarrassed that they've paid to see him and are making the most of it - laughter is a primarily social function.

Jimmy Carr makes me laugh. He must make other people laugh as well or Channel 4 wouldn't give him the time of day.

4Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:22

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:I think you're right Doffoccker. Most stand up comedians on the TV are absolutely shit. A good mate of mine sticks stand up comedy on every night at home and loves it.

Jimmy Carr makes me laugh. He must make other people laugh as well or Channel 4 wouldn't give him the time of day.

I don't get it. You must have to be of average intelligence or below to find him amusing.

5Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I don't get it. You must have to be of average intelligence or below to find him amusing.

I've never claimed to be clever.

6Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 16:46

I like a lot of comedians, but my tastes change all the time. I used to love Peter Kay but he appears to be a one trick pony. I never really liked Alan Carr on TV, but when I saw his stand up routine it was bloody funny. My current favourite is Greg Davies.

7Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 17:13

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

largehat wrote:

Have you seen him live?

What stand ups do you like?

8Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 17:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

There is a lot of shit stand up on TV these days. The worst example is Stand Up for the Week. The pressure to be topical just doesn't work with most of the acts and limiting them to a topic like sport makes it even worse. The last season saw Rich Hall, who can be funny, making a half-assed attempt each week to make feeble jokes about football. The audience is the funniest thing about this show - they must be drunk and stoned as they laugh like hyenas at the unfunniest material. Of course some of the acts probably wouldn't be that funny live, but not having seen most of them I can't comment.

9Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:09

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Got to agree really.

I understand comedy is totally subjective but i can't remember the last time i've got a good laugh from any standup or "panel show"

the worst for me are Jack Whitehall, Russel Howard, Andy Parsons... sure theres more but they're not coming to mind.

the standard does appear to be woeful.

10Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:16

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:
Have you seen him live?

What stand ups do you like?

Of course I haven't seen him live. Why would I buy tickets to see someone live if I think they are shit?

My favourite stand up is Chris Rock. I've seen him live.

11Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Of course I haven't seen him live. Why would I buy tickets to see someone live if I think they are shit?

My favourite stand up is Chris Rock. I've seen him live.

I like comedians who can entertain off the top of their heads. Chris Rock is one, but so is Jimmy Carr. Dave Spikey once had me in stitches in a backstreet Preston pub.

12Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
I understand comedy is totally subjective but i can't remember the last time i've got a good laugh from any standup or "panel show"

What about Shooting Stars? I love Angelos in that and I enjoy the surrealist humour. No idea what his stand up is like.

Jack Dee is an example of a good stand up.

13Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

What about Shooting Stars? I love Angelos in that and I enjoy the surrealist humour. No idea what his stand up is like.

Jack Dee is an example of a good stand up.

Nah shooting stars is just not my cup of tea personally.

14Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Nah shooting stars is just not my cup of tea personally.

I agree. Vic Reeves is rubbish.

The best panel show by far is Would I Lie To You. Lee Mack is very funny, but a rubbish stand-up.

15Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:22

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Without doubt the WORST popular stand up in the world is this white Middle-American prick called Jeff Dunham.

He is a comedian/ventriloquist and he has sold literally MILLIONS of DVDs.

A mate begged me to watch one of his Christmas specials and it was so bad I was offended and had a go at my friend. His 'star turn' is a puppet called 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist'.

If anybody reading likes this guy, I'm going to get Natasha round your house with a Phillips screwdriver and a knitting needle.

16Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Without doubt the WORST popular stand up in the world is this white Middle-American prick called Jeff Dunham.

He is a comedian/ventriloquist and he has sold literally MILLIONS of DVDs.

A mate begged me to watch one of his Christmas specials and it was so bad I was offended and had a go at my friend. His 'star turn' is a puppet called 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist'.

If anybody reading likes this guy, I'm going to get Natasha round your house with a Phillips screwdriver and a knitting needle.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

17Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:46

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

Please, Hipster. Please tell me you're not amused by that wank.

18Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 18:53

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've only ever seen this clip i've never watched his routine and don't plan too.

19Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 19:06

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Jeff Dunham's idea of comedy is so unfunny, it is incredible. I would rather watch paint dry.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

20Comedians Empty Re: Comedians Tue May 22 2012, 19:25

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It annoys me that I like these ethnic comedians whose material is solely based on racism. I want to be able to say they irritate me for being predictable and one dimensional - and more annoyingly a white comedian could never get away with making race-related jokes of the same tone - but I like that humour.

I particularly like Shappi Khorsandi.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum