Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Martinez offered Liverpool manager's job - Dave Whelan

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wigan owner Dave Whelan believes Roberto Martinez has been made an offer by Liverpool to take over as manager.

Martinez broke off from his holiday in Barbados for talks with the Reds and Whelan says he now wants his manager's future resolved by next Thursday.

"He had a meeting on Thursday with the owner of Liverpool in Miami," Whelan told BBC Sport. "I think they have made some kind of offer.

"They will speak again on Tuesday. I've said I want a decision by Thursday."

Liverpool have declined to comment on Whelan's claims.

Martinez received permission to speak to the Reds last week and was previously handed a deadline to sort his future of 5 June by Whelan, which the Latics owner now appears to have brought forward.

The Spaniard, who met with Liverpool's American owners Fenway Sports Group in the United States, returns from his holiday on Tuesday.

Whelan revealed: "We are having a meeting on Tuesday when he's going to put everything to me. He's very honest. He arrives back in the morning and we will get together in the afternoon."

However, Whelan insisted it is by no means certain the 38-year-old will accept the offer to take over at Anfield.

"I think Roberto has put his cards on the table and said 'If I'm going to Liverpool I want the following'," said the Wigan owner.

Martinez's managerial record

• Wigan: Jun 2009 - present - won 34, drawn 36, lost 57
  • Swansea: Feb 2007 - Jun 2009 - won 63, drawn 37, lost 26

"Roberto has to run the football club from top to bottom. Without that I don't think he would go.

"I should not be saying how good Roberto is because I want to keep him. There's no question he's the best young manager in Europe."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18191006

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's no doubt he's a decent manager who can spot a player, but take away the last 10 games of the season and he'd have been up there with Steve Kean as favourite to lose his job.

Not sure he's got what it takes to turn Liverpool round.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree with Natasha. It will be very funny if they give Martinez the job. If I were Martinez I'd be asking myself why Brendan Rodgers didn't even want to discuss the job with them.

Another load of money wasted, another season outside the champions league for the most deluded fans in the land.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

From what I have made of this saga, Liverpool have had to settle on 5th or 6th choice.

From a Liverpool fan I know who has decent inside info, the club have been turned down by a lot of managers, Rodgers being one of them.

If he did get it and didn't start well in the first 10 games, it will be what happened to Hodgson all over again.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think, for once, we all agree that Martinez is really not the man for the Liverpool job. Apart from the last 9 games of every season (whilst he has been at Wigan) they have been very lacklustre and relegation fodder. I know quite a few Liverpool fans and they are totally disgusted with this possible appointment

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum