Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Freedman regrets failure to secure promotion at Wanderers

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman regrets not being able to bring Premier League football back to Wanderers.

The Scot insists there are no hard feelings as he leads Nottingham Forest to the Macron Stadium this afternoon, his first appearance in Bolton since leaving the manager’s post last October.

And while a hot reception may await the 41-year-old, who struggled to win over Whites fans in two years at the helm, he feels he did everything he could during his time in charge.

“We worked very hard there (at Bolton) and we were a goal away from the play-offs in the first season and we managed to stay away from relegation in the second season,” he said.

“I would have liked to have taken them up. But we worked very hard in the circumstances we had to work within and we left on good terms. There are no hard feelings there.”

Matt Mills is another former Wanderer walking back into his old haunt this afternoon – and Freedman knows the red carpet is unlikely to be rolled out.

“I am looking forward to it,” he said. “It is always challenging when you go back to a former club as a manager or a player. There is always extra spice involved.

“But I do look forward to it, because they are good people there. I will look forward to seeing some of them.

“It was a challenge and it will be again for us there tomorrow.”

Freedman is also happy to secure the future of captain Henri Lansbury – a midfielder who has scored twice in his last four starts against Wanderers.

The former Arsenal man looked set for Burnley at the start of the week in a deal that would also have seen Lukas Jutkiewicz move the other way only to have a last-minute change of heart.

“The chairman saw Henri and explained the situation we are in and also spoke to him about what we would like to do, moving forwards,” Freedman explained. “Now we can put this whole thing to bed.

“I have a good relationship with Henri. He is a model professional. He has been fantastic for me on and off the field.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's not alone in wishing he'd taken us up when he had the chance and we were so incredibly close to making the playoffs. I knew then it would be a while before we'd get another go as the money was already dried up so it makes it even more frustrating.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum