Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman predicted Bolton's downfall after missing out on play-offs to Leicester in 2013

+10
doffcocker
terenceanne
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
karlypants
Soul Kitchen
Boggersbelief
Norpig
wanderlust
xmiles
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman believes financial meltdown at Wanderers was on the cards after the club failed to make the play-offs in 2013.

The former boss, now at the helm of Championship rivals Nottingham Forest, has pitched into the ongoing crisis at the Macron Stadium, claiming he foresaw the problems after failing to land top targets soon after his arrival.

Freedman, who left Bolton last October after a stormy two-year spell, witnessed a string of potential signings fall by the wayside and reckons the issues stem back to failing to beat Blackpool on the final day of the 2012/13 campaign, which would have sealed a place in the top six.

“When I first went there, I tried to buy Danny Ings for £1.2m. But we couldn’t get the money together,” he said.

“That prompted a huge amount of suspicion for me. Given that it was a side that had just come down.

“The day we missed out on the play-offs – when Leicester got in there on the final day.

“I knew we were in big trouble after that; it was a club in decline and this was coming.”

Freedman moved on some big names such as Martin Petrov, Kevin Davies and Sam Ricketts during his first 12 months but in doing so, claims to have prevented the current financial meltdown happening sooner.

“There were huge earners there and it was a difficult job to deal with,” he said.

“You could not quite explain to people what you were trying to do. But there were players there who were on huge amounts of money.

“If we did not move some of them on, we could have gone under.

“It has just caught them up now, because they have not had enough assets to balance things out. They have been caught out.”

Many have criticised the financial management of the club since it toppled our of the Premier League, with Phil Gartside coming under particularly heavy fire.

Freedman sought to protect the chairman, who is currently seriously ill, and hopes that he and Wanderers make a full recovery from their current problems.

“I would defend Phil Gartside to the hilt, because he made some difficult decisions and he was trying work things out,” he added.

“He has been unwell and I hope he recovers and that the club is bought and can get through these difficult times.” 

Source

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

karlypants wrote:Dougie Freedman believes financial meltdown at Wanderers was on the cards after the club failed to make the play-offs in 2013.

The former boss, now at the helm of Championship rivals Nottingham Forest, has pitched into the ongoing crisis at the Macron Stadium, claiming he foresaw the problems after failing to land top targets soon after his arrival.

Many have criticised the financial management of the club since it toppled our of the Premier League, with Phil Gartside coming under particularly heavy fire.

Freedman sought to protect the chairman, who is currently seriously ill, and hopes that he and Wanderers make a full recovery from their current problems.

“I would defend Phil Gartside to the hilt, because he made some difficult decisions and he was trying work things out,” he added.

“He has been unwell and I hope he recovers and that the club is bought and can get through these difficult times.” 

Source

So who was to blame for the financial mismanagement if not Gartside?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Danny Ings for £1.2 million?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

no one cares what you think you smug twat Freedman

Treated very poorly by Bolton fans, dealt with similarly horrendous circumstances but got absolutely no leeway.

bwfc1874 wrote:Treated very poorly by Bolton fans, dealt with similarly horrendous circumstances but got absolutely no leeway.

Because he was a clueless dick.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Treated very poorly by Bolton fans, dealt with similarly horrendous circumstances but got absolutely no leeway.

Because he was a clueless dick.

:like:

Never got the hate for Freedman, results weren't great but the difference in fans attitudes towards him and Lennon is staggering. Basically due to one being more media savvy IMO.

He orchestrated the club's two worst starts to a season in over 100 years back at a time when we were still desperately clinging onto the notion that we weren't actually shit.

He set the bar quite low for Lennon, so all the latter had to do was not fuck it up completely during his first six months and we'd all think he was ok.

It's only as time has gone on that Lennon's failings have been exposed.

And with all the talk of Administration and massive tax bills now, Lennon's still receiving quite a lot of sympathy from the terraces.

Anyroad, I'm not wasting any more time of discussing Freedman - he's history.

True no point in wasting time on this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie missed out on the playoffs by one point. Just imagine where we'd be now if he'd got the backing to buy Ings instead of the dead hand false economy of Gartynomics. Probably still in the Prem but owing Eddie nearer £250 million.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was informed that Davo gave some of the young lads at the academy a bit of a pep talk one training session. Duggy found out and told him not to do it again. Furthermore he never bothered watching the young lads whereas Lenny does and did from day one.
As somebody has previously said, useless prick. I'll add devisive as well!!
There's another rather more serious incident I have been told about which I won't comment on concerning some academy lads that occurred after his binning.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Dougie missed out on the playoffs by one point. Just imagine where we'd be now if he'd got the backing to buy Ings instead of the dead hand false economy of Gartynomics. Probably still in the Prem but owing Eddie nearer £250 million.

We've only his word on the Ings scenario. We'll have to wait for Duggy's book to come out!!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agreed. 

Really not the "tosser" he was painted out to be.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Agreed. 

Really not the "tosser" he was painted out to be.
He spent £1million on Jermaine Beckford.

No he didn't, that was the original price Leicester quoted we got him for free once they agreed to terminate his contract and avoid paying him a bonus he was due.

-- As an aside I was thinking earlier how I'd prefer Beckford up front than Ameobi, Madine or Heskey. At least he could move.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:No he didn't, that was the original price Leicester quoted we got him for free once they agreed to terminate his contract and avoid paying him a bonus he was due.
Ah yeah, that seems to ring a bell.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He obviously made loads of mistakes and ultimately failed but I just didn't understand the hate for the man himself, always thought he gave it his best and just wasn't able to turn the ship once the rot set in. Not alone in that.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:He obviously made loads of mistakes and ultimately failed but I just didn't understand the hate for the man himself, always thought he gave it his best and just wasn't able to turn the ship once the rot set in. Not alone in that.

Same as me really, he had to go as results weren't coming. But the hate for him was surprising for me.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

That's because you live miles away and don't get to here the gossip!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum