Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers could be forced to sell players, admits boss Neil Lennon

+2
finlaymcdanger
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon is reluctantly facing up to the threat of January sales to keep Wanderers afloat.

The likes of Zach Clough, Josh Vela, David Wheater, Mark Davies and Ben Amos could be picked off by clubs looking for a bargain when the transfer window reopens next month.

The Whites are in desperate need of short-term cash to keep their options open as they search for a new buyer and have a date in the High Court hovering over their head in mid-January over an unpaid tax bill.

Trevor Birch, the board’s financial advisor, is looking at ways funding can be created quickly and that is likely to mean the sale of assets both on and off the field.

Lennon admits the sale of some of his players could be a necessary evil.

“It’s a realistic possibility,” he told The Bolton News. “We haven’t had vultures circling us yet, but I’m sure they will come.

“That is a scenario we may have to face. It’s not ideal but we’re talking about people’s livelihoods and salaries, getting this club through difficult times. If that’s what needs to be done, I’ll do it.

“We may have to bring some of the younger players through if we have to sell some of the senior ones, and that’s fine.

“I have done that before and I will do it again.”

The likes of Rob Holding, Tom Walker, Kaiyne Woolery and Alex Finney have had a taste of first team action this season but have been unable to command a regular place.

At the opposite end of the scale, Lennon is still having to make plans for strengthening his squad, if the opportunity arises.

Should a new owner be installed, signings would be a priority to help avoid relegation to League One.

But while that scenario seems a million miles away at present as the financial nightmare continues, the manager is making sure he is prepared.

“Obviously we can’t get players in right now,” he said. “But I am always looking at them and I have contingency plans if the situation does change. Our scouts are out there bringing me back reports every week.

“The situation at the club may make it harder to attract players but it might work the other way as well. If we get a sale then they may think the club has turned a corner and players may want to be part of the ‘new broom’ if you want to put it like that.”

Source

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It would be interesting to see what value you Nutters would put on these players:

Zach Clough £?
Josh Vela £?
David Wheater £?
Mark Davies £?
Ben Amos £?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

who would want any of our lot? Mavies has been anonymous (cue Nat saying i told you so) and Clough is always injured. Amos would command a fee and maybe Wheater but it's hardly going to help the cause is it?

finlaymcdanger wrote:It would be interesting to see what value you Nutters would put on these players:

Zach Clough £250k too injury prone and not had enough of a run to warrant anything more
Josh Vela £2m probably our biggest asset. Utility player. Works hard. Still young
David Wheater £100k old, injury prone, mostly shite
Mark Davies £50k far far too injury prone.
Ben Amos £1m only due to the united link.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Clough, Amos and Vela we would get a fee for, the others forget it. Would be surprised if we got more than 1 Million for the lot.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My worry is that they'd be more interested in our development squad.

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:My worry is that they'd be more interested in our development squad.
I think they were paid weren't they, so them leaving becomes less of an issue. In case you didn't know, there are different rules around buying u21s, its not impossible, but the amount of compensation needed for the deal means unless you have a young absolute superstar, its prohibitive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum