Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon desperate to solve midfield problems to avoid soft centre

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When Neil Lennon turned up at Wanderers he bemoaned the surplus of midfielders he had inherited from his predecessor Dougie Freedman.

Although holes were there for all to see elsewhere in his squad, not least in the full-back and striker department, the sheer number of choices in the middle of the park meant midfield was the least of his concerns. Or so he thought.

This season some of last season’s most reliable players have suffered for form and the lack of cash at Lennon’s disposal meant a replacement could not be sought.

Darren Pratley – arguably the most consistent player in the first three months of Lennon’s reign – has struggled since returning from a long-term hamstring injury, which also coincided with him being named as captain.

Billed as the archetypal Lennon midfielder in his best form last term, his effectiveness in the opposition penalty box has been limited this time around. Some of that has been for tactical reasons, Pratley posted in a left-sided berth he does not suit, but the 30-year-old has suffered more than most for confidence in a team that has just not been playing well.

He is by no means alone. Mark Davies has mastered the fitness problems that had checked his Bolton career to date but he too has shown just flashes of the talent he clearly possesses.

The former Wolves maestro was a little like his former self against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday night but still seems reluctant to take control of the ball in areas that really hurt the opposition.

Neil Danns was another trusted lieutenant in Lennon’s early days and remains one of Wanderers’ most willing combatants. But at 33 the Liverpudlian has been forced to check some of his more attacking tendencies.

When Lennon came into the Macron Stadium last October he quickly outlined what he wanted from his midfield. That did not seem to include Jay Spearing and Medo Kamara, both mainstays under Freedman, and they were both quickly shelved.

Spearing was loaned out to Blackburn and when a permanent sale did not materialise in the summer, the former skipper returned to Bolton looking to start afresh.

Like Pratley, the 27-year-old seems to be bearing the weight of Wanderers’ problems on his shoulders and his performances of late have been characterised by poor choices in possession.

A reprise for Medo looks almost impossible to contemplate, Lennon may have to look elsewhere in his squad for options if the current financial problems continue to bite.

Josh Vela was switched into midfield against Charlton and responded with a well-taken goal – but the youngster is waiting on news of a knee injury and talk within the camp is that he could be missing until the New Year.

Tom Walker has also been on the periphery for some time, his progression slowed since bursting on to the scene at the same time as Zach Clough.

The academy youngster was described as “inconsistent” by his manager last week but a year older and wiser than when he first broke into the Wanderers’ first team he may offer a bit of balance to the left side of midfield and allow Pratley to play in his more favoured central role.

Even further from left field would be Liam Trotter. Farmed out to Nottingham Forest on loan a few months ago the former Millwall man has found a new lease of life under his former mentor Freedman.

He is due back from the City Ground in January and would be match fit and ready if Lennon wanted to bring him back into the first team fold.

From having so many options in midfield Lennon is now experiencing a feeling that the personnel he can select from are not his own men.

If the purse strings are loosened and a new owner confirmed by the January window it is a safe bet where the recruitment effort will begin.

Searching for a player who can add some of the ferociousness and leadership he displayed as a player, Lennon is desperate to stop his side looking like they have a soft centre.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i don't want to see Trotter back, he's rubbish let Dougie keep him. If Lennon is sticking with 2 holding midfielders then he needs to make sure one of them is not Mavies, he's been far too deep this season and we need his creativity further up the field.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Lennon isn't happy with the midfield, why hasn't he given Twardzik a role? After all he backed him enough to bring him in from Celtic.

Or is this another example of not playing youngsters until they hit their mid-20s?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree with lusty and am mystified as to why Twardzik never appears on the teamsheet. Unless he's got some sort of injury I'd have thought Neil would have played him long ago.  I disagree with the report though; I very much doubt Lennon was happy with the midfield when he arrived. Sure we had a lot of players in that dept but most of them were garbage signed by Freedman as shirt fillers rather than genuine quality football players. I suspect Neil would love to clear most of them out if he could only find someone dumb enough to take them. I'm glad Trotter's gone, he definitely disappointed here and for my money I'd say leave him where he is or try and sell him the minute he comes back.

Kevin Nolan will sort it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum