Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boxing Day Memories

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Boxing Day Memories Empty Boxing Day Memories Thu Dec 24 2015, 14:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boxing Day hasn't been kind to us over the last 25 years or so, despite having plenty of home games on this special day for football fans. However, there have been some highlights, so as we face almost certain defeat at the mighty Rotherham this Boxing Day I thought it might be better to remember the good times we've had on this day.

Boxing Day 1992 v Wigan (h) 2-1

The 1992-93 season will always be special. A fantastic FA Cup run to the 5th round following wins over Liverpool and Wolves culminated in promotion to the second tier of English football. Two weeks or so before the famous win at Anfield, Bolton beat Wigan 2-1 thanks to two goals from the brilliant Andy Walker. Boy could that man finish!

Boxing Day 1996 v Grimsby Town (a) 2-1

The 100 goals season. Amazing. I pity any Bolton supporter who didn't get the chance to witness it. Trust me, we'll never see football like this again. Two proper wingers in Thompson and Sellars, and two proper centre forwards in McGinlay and Blake. Going out to win every game, what a novelty! The visit to Grimsby was poised at 1-1 before Nathan Blake went on a powerful run down the left wing which took him into the box where he unleashed a thunderbolt into the roof of the net. Pace, strength and finishing. It makes you want to weep when you look at what we have today.

Bolton went on to win the league by 18 points and gain promotion to the Premier League. 18 points!!

Boxing Day 1997 v Barnsley (h) 1-1

Only a draw on this festive afternoon, but a Gudni Bergsson rocket from 80 yards (ok, maybe 40) won us a valuable point against relegation rivals Barnsley. Ultimately it wasn't enough as we went down on goal difference, but Bergsson's goal was one of the best ever seen at the Reebok.

Boxing Day 2000 v Sheffield Wednesday (h) 2-0

A vital victory for 10 man Bolton kept them firmly in the hunt for promotion. Dean 'the saviour' Holdsworth put Bolton in front before Colin Hendry doubled the lead with a goal on his home debut. The games flash point came on 68 minutes when John O'Kane was sent-off for punching Wednesday midfielder Alan Quinn. He deserved it.

Ultimately Bolton fell short of the top two automatic promotion places but a 3-0 victory in the Play-Off Final in Cardiff against PNE sent Bolton back to the Premier League.

Boxing Day 2002 v Newcastle (h) 4-3

One of the best games ever seen at the Reebok. Jay-Jay Okocha opened the scoring for Bolton before Alan Shearer equalised for Newcastle. Then came the best free-kick I've ever seen at the Reebok, a 30 yarder from Ricardo Gardner that nearly took the net off. Michael 'tugboat' Ricketts then scored twice to give Bolton a 4-1 lead. Late goals from Shearer and future Bolton legend Shola Ameobi put Bolton under pressure but they managed to hold on.

Bolton went on to avoid relegation by two points and send West Ham down into the Championship.

Boxing Day 2006 v Newcastle (h) 2-1

Newcastle pitched up on Boxing Day 2006 having won 5 of their last 6 games. And an early opener from Kieron 'sicknote' Dyer made Bolton's task even harder. But an own goal by Peter Ramage and a neat finish by Alelka helped Bolton to a vital 3 points.

Bolton went on to finish 7th, their highest ever finish, and qualified for Europe in the process. Who'd have thought at that moment we'd end up with Dougie Freedman as manager and Liam Trotter our central midfield bulldog.

Boxing Day 2010 v West Brom (h) 2-0

This comfortable victory sent Bolton upto 6th place in the Premier League. Goals from Matt Taylor and Johan 'I'm not a striker' Elmander kept Bolton in the hunt for a return to European football. Unfortunately an injury to star play Stuart Holden started a poor run of results that ended up in a 14th place finish. And it's been going downhill ever since. Coyle out.

So there you have it, we've had some memorable Boxing Day games - will Rotherham in 2015 be added to the list?

2Boxing Day Memories Empty Re: Boxing Day Memories Thu Dec 24 2015, 14:13

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the only one that sticks in my mind was the 4-3 against Newcastle to be honest. Boxing day home games are a pain for me as i can't get to the ground as there are no trains and its practically impossible (although someone did say last year i should walk there)

3Boxing Day Memories Empty Re: Boxing Day Memories Thu Dec 24 2015, 14:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'll pick you up at 11am on Saturday. Usual place.

4Boxing Day Memories Empty Re: Boxing Day Memories Thu Dec 24 2015, 14:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'll pick you up at 11am on Saturday. Usual place.
 do i have to wear the outfit again? Its not been cleaned properly yet since last time

5Boxing Day Memories Empty Re: Boxing Day Memories Thu Dec 24 2015, 14:35

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Newcastle game was fantastic, what a game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum