Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darren Pratley urges players to take responsibility and raise game to avoid relegation

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The fear of returning to League One football is driving Darren Pratley on in Wanderers’ survival battle.

Bolton haven’t played in the third tier since Bruce Rioch led the famous White Hot team to promotion in 1993 but Pratley spent the first few seasons of his career in the division wearing the colours of Brentford and Swansea City.

Wanderers have added a semblance of stability with this week’s takeover and though defeat at Birmingham City showed big problems still exist on the pitch, Pratley remains convinced they can be fixed.

“The takeover is near enough done now and it’s a relief – not only for us players but for the whole of Bolton,” said the skipper.

“It needed doing and hopefully it gets passed and we can move on.

“But from the lads’ point of view this is about 13 games. We couldn’t really care less about a takeover because we want to stay in the Championship.

“League One is a tough league and it’s extremely hard to get out. Anyone who thinks we’d just nip down there and bounce straight back up are kidding themselves – it isn’t that easy.

“Results went okay in midweek but we can’t keep relying on other teams to lose. We need to take responsibility for this and start getting ourselves out of it.”

Whereas Wanderers once looked upon Burnley as the plucky underdogs in the Premier League years, roles have been very much reversed recently.

Sean Dyche’s well-drilled side are the Championship’s top scorers with 51 goals, half of which have come from dangerous front pairing Sam Vokes and Andre Gray, the latter of which cost an eye-watering £9million.

Pratley believes the Whites’ dire situation means they must raise their game.

“It’s not as if we can get a point here or there, we need to win everything we can.” He said.

“It’s a derby at home against a very good team. They will be heavy favourites and I’d guess that no-one other than ourselves would think we stand a chance. They will all expect us to get beat.

“I thought the boys played well enough in a scrappy game at Birmingham but we’re running out of games now so playing well isn’t enough, we’d rather be picking up points.

“But I think we did well at home against QPR and if we play like that again, we have got a chance.”

Neil Lennon must choose whether to bring Gary Madine back into the fold after the pair’s fall-out last weekend, which saw the striker dropped unceremoniously out of the squad at St Andrew’s.

Doubts hang over Emile Heskey’s fitness and that could force Lennon’s hand after his side struggled badly in the final third with the diminutive Zach Clough playing up front alone for much of the game.

Pratley, who ended up as an auxiliary striker, refused to wade into the debate but reckons the squad have not been damaged by the negative press.

“What happened is between the manager and Gary Madine – I don’t think the boys looked like they were affected by it,” he said. “They are showing good character.

“Obviously we had to start with Cloughie up front as the target man and we knew we’d have to play differently. I think we took responsibility for the ball more, whether we lost or not, we kept getting on it. We showed character.

“Cloughie has never ever played in that role but I think he did alright.

“The boys are still together, we’re still working hard and no-one has given up.

“We have to keep believing.”

Paul Rachubka is another player who has been brought in as an emergency measure following an injury to Ben Amos.

The 34-year-old was recruited as back-up but Pratley is backing him to show why he could rival Amos for a first team position in the future.

“He’s an old head, he’s been around the game and he brings a calmness to us,” he said.

“He did well when he played against Eastleigh and he would probably have been disappointed not to keep the shirt.

“There was some of that last season with Andy Lonergan and Adam Bogdan – it would be one in, one out.

“Chubs has got the shirt now and it’s a chance for him to get some competition between him and Ben. They both get on with each other and it’s healthy.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum