Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Spearing didn't play today.

+11
finlaymcdanger
Alf Hooker
Barryjw
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Bollotom2014
karlypants
doffcocker
Sluffy
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Why Spearing didn't play today. Sat Mar 12 2016, 22:45

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Tweets from Iles -

Lennon confirms that Spearing absence was due to £100k payment to #LFC if he played another game. Request to defer was refused.

Lots more to come out on this Spearing thing. What an absolute shambles.

Also confirmed in Lennons after match thoughts -

On Jay Spearing’s omission from the team…
We had to leave him out today because if he had played we were due to pay Liverpool an amount of money. Again, that is frustrating, but the new owners are only just in the door and they have to get their feet under the table and sort out what is best for the club. We don’t want to leave Jay in limbo, so that’s something we’ll have to resolve sooner rather than later.

2Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sat Mar 12 2016, 22:57

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If it came out that we had an eskimo on the payroll it wouldn't make things seem that more symbolic than they already do.

Deary me.

3Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sat Mar 12 2016, 23:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unbelievable that there is a clause like this.

What a joke!

4Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 01:43

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Oh, my! No wonder we're in the financial doo-doo. So we can't afford to play him. Better just sit him at home. There really must be some villages missing idiots if they dish out clauses like these.

5Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 10:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Funnily enough I was reading an article about Rob Green at QPR just yesterday morning who is in the same position, and hasn't played this year because of it.

The clubs are foolish to let this happen, but so are the players agents for allowing their clients to sit in the stands when they are perfectly fit.

6Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 11:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's absolutely terrible anyway.

7Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 11:13

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:He's absolutely terrible anyway.

When did you last see him play?

8Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 11:26

Nat,

What's with the measured, considered, rational and (dare I say it) eminently sensible new tone?

Where's all the hyperbole gone?

Have you had a life changing / affirming experience in the last 24 hours?

This is the first time in ten years of following your work where I actually feel like I'm reading your genuine thoughts on things.

Throw me a bellend to let me know you're ok.

9Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 11:40

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's Lent, Breaders. Could be a good reason.  Twisted Evil

10Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 11:50

After how many appearances does the extra payment kick in? Wasn't a particular land mark appearance yesterday.

If you look at last season he played 22 matches then sent out on loan, this season he has played 22 matches as well. So is the fee paid if he plays in 50% of league matches in a season?

11Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 13:23

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:He's absolutely terrible anyway.

When did you last see him play?

Every single time he's played this season considering I subscribe to Wanderers Player.

12Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 13:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Every single time he's played this season considering I subscribe to Wanderers Player.

And you don't think we've been a bit better since he came back into the side?

13Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 13:40

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've always thought the same thing about Spearing, distinctly average, a poor mans Danny Murphy. 

he came here with the rep he'd be the "leader" the "organiser" and he's failed on all those counts IMO. 

I also can't stand him as a person. 

At this point in the season considering we are down, I'd be playing 11 academy kids and giving them experience for next season. Look how comfortable Holding has looked for the most part, maybe there's others who just need that push.

14Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 13:45

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I've always thought the same thing about Spearing, distinctly average, a poor mans Danny Murphy. 

he came here with the rep he'd be the "leader" the "organiser" and he's failed on all those counts IMO. 

I also can't stand him as a person. 

Do you know him then?

15Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 13:52

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes we roomed together when we both played for Liverpool.

16Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 15:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jay Spearing's contract doesn't run out until Summer 2017 so what are they planning to do for the next season and a bit? Rest him until his contract is up?
With the wages he's on nobody will buy him so the club need to decide if they are prepared to cough up the £100k to make him available for what is almost 60 games i.e an additional £1600 per game.
I'm surprised they didn't pay it now.

17Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 15:52

wanderlust wrote:Jay Spearing's contract doesn't run out until Summer 2017 so what are they planning to do for the next season and a bit? Rest him until his contract is up?
With the wages he's on nobody will buy him so the club need to decide if they are prepared to cough up the £100k to make him available for what is almost 60 games i.e an additional £1600 per game.
I'm surprised they didn't pay it now.
Just seen the interview with Lennon and he said the fee was payable when Spearing played 50% of games in a season. So assume next season he can play the first half of the season before they have to worry about it again.

Seems a strange clause to put in.

18Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 16:14

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

karlypants wrote:Unbelievable that there is a clause like this.

What a joke!
Unbelievable but quite common these days

19Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Sun Mar 13 2016, 16:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Yes we roomed together when we both played for Liverpool.

Are you David Ngog?

20Why Spearing didn't play today. Empty Re: Why Spearing didn't play today. Mon Mar 14 2016, 11:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Contract clause payment to Liverpool puts Jay Spearing's future in doubt

Jay Spearing’s Wanderers future remains up in the air after it emerged a £100,000 fee is due to Liverpool if he plays another league game this season.

Neil Lennon was forced to drop the midfielder for Saturday’s 2-1 home defeat against Preston North End after a request to defer the payment was turned down by the Premier League club.

Key man Spearing has played 22 Championship games, with the six-figure payment due on the 23rd.

“We had to leave Jay out because we can’t afford to pay money to Liverpool,” Lennon explained. “We did ask if they would defer it but they said no, and that’s fine, it’s their prerogative.

“If he plays another game we have to pay a certain amount of money to them but we can’t afford that right now.

“That leaves him in limbo, a difficult position. And that is hard to take as well because I think we missed him against Preston.”

It is understood the contract clause came as some surprise to the club’s new owners – whose takeover was only confirmed on Thursday. New chairman Ken Anderson arrives at the Macron this morning and one of his first tasks could be to convince Liverpool to delay their payment until finances are in place.

“It is early days and the guys have to get their feet under the table,” Lennon reasoned. “I know it is frustrating to them as well so I don’t think any blame should be apportioned to anyone. It’s just where we are at the minute.”

It is worth noting, however, that Spearing was loaned out to Blackburn Rovers after playing 21 Championship games last season – suggesting Wanderers may have looked to dodge this payment before.

Lennon insists he was only made aware of the clause in midweek and was planning to pick Spearing up until 24 hours before kick-off.

His replacement, Liam Trotter, scored the opening goal for Wanderers before Preston plundered two in the final half hour to continue their play-off push.

“I found out round about Wednesday,” the manager said. “It was then on and off, on and off, before finally I was told on Friday I wouldn’t be able to pick him.

“I spoke to Jay’s agent and made him aware of the situation. I then spoke to Jay before the game too. He was obviously very disappointed and we’ll have to see what we can do about it.

“He has been playing well and I didn’t want to leave him out. I thought we missed Jay's passing at times and the way he breaks play up.

“But it isn’t an excuse to lose the game. We had enough out there to win it.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum