Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Garry Jones.

+7
wessy
Banks of the Croal
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
boltonbonce
Norpig
MartinBWFC
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RIP Garry Jones. Empty RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 13:15

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Passed away today, great player, great memories, RIP Garry.

2RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 15:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sad news at only 65, he was before my time so don't have any memories of him playing. Anyone see the hat trick against City that's been mentioned?

3RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 15:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bloody hell! He was on the pitch at the Macron only last month.

I was at the City game,and I had no voice the next day,due mainly to my constant abuse of Franny Lee.

Very sad. RIP.

4RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 15:28

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:sad news at only 65, he was before my time so don't have any memories of him playing. Anyone see the hat trick against City that's been mentioned?

Regretfully I turned down the opportunity to go and see that game.

I didn't think we had any chance to win and would be stuffed, so I was saving my money for the next league game.

The biggest footballing decision mistake of my life, how gutted I was to hear the same night from people who had gone to the match that Jones had beaten them with his hat trick.

RIP

5RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 17:56

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Was there on hat trick night and there when Seamus McDonagh fooked up and gave him a goal.
RIP.

6RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 18:09

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Was there but all I can remember is a bit of a Fracas in The Lever End.

RIP... Gary Jones.

7RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 21:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Soul Kitchen wrote:Was there on hat trick night and there when Seamus McDonagh fooked up and gave him a goal.
RIP.

That was funny, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

I couldn't believe it when we went out and signed McDonagh after that but what a bloody good signing he turned out to be.

The last time I saw him play was when he turned up at Burnden as Scarborough's keeper.

Happy days.

8RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 22:05

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Soul Kitchen wrote:Was there on hat trick night and there when Seamus McDonagh fooked up and gave him a goal.
RIP.
I think I remember that. did McDonagh put the ball down for a goal kick, Garry asked ref, did that go out, ref said no play on and he knocked it in just as McDonagh was taking his run up.

9RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 22:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

MartinBWFC wrote:
RIP.
I think I remember that. did McDonagh put the ball down for a goal kick, Garry asked ref, did that go out, ref said no play on and he knocked it in just as McDonagh was taking his run up.

Yes.

For some reason McDonagh had thought the ball had gone out and picked it up, moved to the edge of his 6 yard box and put the ball down to take a goal kick.

The linesman had not indicated that the ball had gone out of play and Jones after asking the ref who just happened to be stood alongside him, ran to the ball and kicked it in to an open net!

Seamus was playing for Rotherham at the time.

We later sold him to Everton but got him back about a year later when he could not get a game due to being Neville Southall's understudy.

10RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 22:28

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I was at the city game, Good player part of an exciting young team and the start of our upward movement

11RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 23:23

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was in the the Burnden Paddock that night. I remember the atmosphere being absolutely electric. A great night. RIP Gary.

12RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Thu Apr 07 2016, 23:28

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Doffy hasn't suddenly aged by 35 years overnight. I didn't realise I was signed in on his I.D. Sorry for that Doffy.

13RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Fri Apr 08 2016, 08:28

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:
RIP.

Yes.

For some reason McDonagh had thought the ball had gone out and picked it up, moved to the edge of his 6 yard box and put the ball down to take a goal kick.

The linesman had not indicated that the ball had gone out of play and Jones after asking the ref who just happened to be stood alongside him, ran to the ball and kicked it in to an open net!

Seamus was playing for Rotherham at the time.

We later sold him to Everton but got him back about a year later when he could not get a game due to being Neville Southall's understudy.

Byrom told Gary Jones that it wasn't a goal kick because he couldn't be arsed going to kick the ball himself!
A typical JB action.

14RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Fri Apr 08 2016, 09:35

carl baxter

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

R.i.p. Gary. Always a pleasure to watch. A great footballing brain.

http://www.cheshirechristmastrees.com

15RIP Garry Jones. Empty Re: RIP Garry Jones. Fri Apr 08 2016, 10:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote:Doffy hasn't suddenly aged by 35 years overnight. I didn't realise I was signed in on his I.D. Sorry for that Doffy.

It was his best post in years. Should have known he didn't write it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum