Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Settled position can help middle man Vela kick on at Wanderers

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jimmy Phillips hopes natural born winner Josh Vela can finish the season with a smile on his face.

Vela netted the first goal of his Wanderers career in a 2-2 draw at Charlton back in December, and prepared for the Addicks’ visit tonight with the opening goal against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Moved from pillar to post by Neil Lennon in the last 18 months, the academy graduate has only now settled under Phillips in his preferred position of midfield.

And the interim boss hopes some stability can help progress the 22-year-old’s career at the Macron.

“Sometimes playing in different positions can be good for your development because you learn the game quicker, sometimes it can hinder it, and I don’t know which has happened with Josh,” he told The Bolton News.

“As a younger player we played him as a number 10 in the youth team. He was a very creative player and he could receive the ball, back to goal, and turn to run at goal.

“Since he broke into the first team he’s been used as a right-back,

“The one thing you know with him is that virtually every time he will give you 100 per cent.

“He is committed and I was delighted he got a goal on Saturday.

“As a person, he is a winner. He just wants to win, and that is something you can’t put into a player. It’s either in there or not.

“He gets really angry, upset, disappointed when he’s on the losing side in games, training, you name it. He has got that natural competitive attitude and whichever position you ask him to play he’ll give it a go.

“Longer term I think his natural position will be in midfield but someone else might think differently.”

Winning has been a rare commodity at Wanderers this season and Phillips admits his immediate focus has been on defensive shape, which has come at the expense of attacking threat.

“We think this shape is suited to the players we have got fit and available,” he said.

“If we had some wide players available then it might change. We might perhaps become more open in our play.

“This was designed to make sure we stayed in the game. Too many times since I took over we have been completely out of it by half time. It’s only the two home games we stayed in it second half and beyond.

“We have to finish this season giving the supporters some hope for next year. And in an attacking sense we have to be brighter. The players certainly have the ability to be brighter.

“It is just getting that confidence back and I am sure when it is fully restored we will hopefully see some good performances.”

Wanderers have no new injury problems with Gary Madine unlikely to be included in the squad until the weekend’s game at Cardiff City.

Charlton old boy Dorian Dervite has returned to training but is still short on match fitness, while Phillips also confirmed Wellington Silva could play again this season after making progress from a hamstring tear.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i don't see him as a natural no10, he suits more of a deeper role as he can pass the ball well

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum