You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding

OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Mon Jul 18 2016, 22:45

Guest


Guest
Rob's a Gunner? Wanderers accept bid from Arsenal for Rob Holding

Bolton Wanderers have accepted a bid from Premier League team Arsenal , and would see Rob move to the Emirates once personal terms have been agreed.

Good Luck Rob
#bwfc

2 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 00:00

Keegan

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Who needs Rob Holding when we can snap up 35 year old Gordon Greer on a free?

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

3 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 09:21

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Keegan wrote:Who needs Rob Holding when we can snap up 35 year old Gordon Greer on a free?
Hopefully we'll get Wheater back too, who the hell is Gordon Greer

4 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 09:27

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
whatsgoingon wrote:
Hopefully we'll get Wheater back too

Hopefully we won't. Slow and injury prone.

5 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 09:35

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
whatsgoingon wrote:
Keegan wrote:Who needs Rob Holding when we can snap up 35 year old Gordon Greer on a free?
Hopefully we'll get Wheater back too, who the hell is Gordon Greer
Greer was at Brighton wasn't he? A good defender but didn't realise he was that old.

Not sure about Wheater either, he's too injury prone and he would have to accept a big drop in wages

6 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 09:51

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:Not sure about Wheater either, he's too injury prone and he would have to accept a big drop in wages

Unfortunately I fear the fact he is injury prone has put other clubs off, so his wage demands are probably far more realistic given that the season is less than 3 weeks away.

I really hope we don't take this backwards step, we need pace at the back, not tanks.

7 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:07

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I don't understand why Rob has chosen Arsenal as his number one destination, the whole Wenger and promoting youth is a myth for every one who makes it there's another 10 who go out on loan season after season before ending up at bottom half prem club at best or disappearing down the divisions or abroad into obscurity in the main.
If a Southampton, Everton or Bournemouth come in then he would surely get more chance of playing and developing there than at Arsenal.

8 Rob's a Gunner on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:10

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
ROB Holding’s Premier League dream has come a step closer to reality as Arsenal made a breakthrough in talks to take him to the Emirates Stadium.
Arsene Wenger’s Gunners have submitted a second bid for the England Under-21 international, which has been accepted by Wanderers.
The Bolton News understands that Holding underwent a medical this evening and will continue to discuss personal terms this week.
Two other top-flight clubs made concrete offers for the 20-year-old centre-half in the last couple of days, forcing Arsenal’s hand to improve the cash tabled up front.
Holding has favoured a move to North London since their interest was first revealed in May, prompting his withdrawal from the squad in the final game of last season at Fulham.
Despite playing just 30 first-team games for the Whites last season, and their relegation from the Championship, he was watched by a raft of Premier League clubs.
Wanderers triggered a one-year extension on his contract over the summer to ensure they would retain some control on the situation. And that has also enabled them to negotiate a hefty bonus package.
They initially wanted to loan Holding back for next season – but that outcome now looks unlikely.
Phil Parkinson had warned at the weekend that the club would not budge on their estimation – which was reported to be £2million up front – but had pencilled him in to play in tomorrow night’s game at Tranmere, a testimonial for ex-captain Warwick Rimmer.
“As far as I know there is interest from a number of Premiership clubs,” he told The Bolton News. “The chairman has got a valuation in mind and I don’t think he will budge from that. I don’t think he needs to, either, because he is a very good young player and there is a premium on those types.
“If someone comes up with that valuation then the chairman will give me a call.”
The Whites boss is hoping to reinvest some of the cash in his own squad and has looked at 11 different trialists since the start of the week.
Out-of-contract David Wheater continues to train at Lostock but the club has scotched suggestion that Andrew Davies, the former Bradford City defender who recently left Ross County, is one of the options being examined.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:14

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
i agree WGO, i thought Bournemouth would be a better move for him now, if he progresses well he would still have the chance to move to one of the big clubs in the future.

10 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:17

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:i agree WGO, i thought Bournemouth would be a better move for him now, if he progresses well he would still have the chance to move to one of the big clubs in the future.
Or Everton if Stones goes which it looks like he will, the only downside at Everton is the new money man who might take them down the City route.

11 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:39

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Anyone with ambition will choose the biggest club.

That's why you're emptying bedpans for the NHS Norpig, and not a fancy private hospital where the urine is of a better standard.

12 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:44

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
i work in the Pharmacy Nat, no bed pans in there  Very Happy

13 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:57

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:Anyone with ambition will choose the biggest club.

That's why you're emptying bedpans for the NHS Norpig, and not a fancy private hospital where the urine is of a better standard.

Not if the bigger club means you'll be plying your trade elsewhere, Stones went to Everton for £3m and has done well out of it Chambers went to Arsenal for £16m and has barely seen an Arsenal shirt.
The way the Premier League is now with instant results and ludicrous money everyone seems to think foreign players are the way forward.
Sometimes the smarter move is to be the bigger fish in a smaller pond than a tiddler in a huge pond. How many careers for younger players have been enhanced by moves to the biggest clubs and how many have gone backwards.

14 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 10:58

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
whatsgoingon wrote:
Sometimes the smarter move is to be the bigger fish in a smaller pond than a tiddler in a huge pond. How many careers for younger players have been enhanced by moves to the biggest clubs and how many have gone backwards.

How many footballers are smart?

They see the big club and the big salary and off they go. You'd be no different.

15 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:14

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
Sometimes the smarter move is to be the bigger fish in a smaller pond than a tiddler in a huge pond. How many careers for younger players have been enhanced by moves to the biggest clubs and how many have gone backwards.

How many footballers are smart?

They see the big club and the big salary and off they go. You'd be no different.
I would, I signed for the Sportsman Arms when I was 18 when the all conquering Black Bull were trying to tempt me.
I realised I was never going to be their first pick ahead of Mohican Dave and Ginger Pete so I opted for first team football.

16 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:16

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
whatsgoingon wrote:
I would, I signed for the Sportsman Arms when I was 18 when the all conquering Black Bull were trying to tempt me.
I realised I was never going to be their first pick ahead of Mohican Dave and Ginger Pete so I opted for first team football.

Ginger Pete used to clean my boots. You must have been very average.

17 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:36

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
I would, I signed for the Sportsman Arms when I was 18 when the all conquering Black Bull were trying to tempt me.
I realised I was never going to be their first pick ahead of Mohican Dave and Ginger Pete so I opted for first team football.

Ginger Pete used to clean my boots. You must have been very average.
But we played in a men only league ???????????
Very Happy

18 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:42

Guest


Guest
Can't ever blame a footballer for backing themselves and having a go at the big time. Arsenal vs. Bournemouth is a no brainer let's face it, more money (and London to spend it in), better quality of coaching, world class facilities, the opportunity to play with some of the best players in the world, the chance to win trophies and play in the Champions League.

Good on him and I hope he makes it to the big time.

19 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:50

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:Can't ever blame a footballer for backing themselves and having a go at the big time. Arsenal vs. Bournemouth is a no brainer let's face it, more money (and London to spend it in), better quality of coaching, world class facilities, the opportunity to play with some of the best players in the world, the chance to win trophies and play in the Champions League.

Good on him and I hope he makes it to the big time.
I think most people hope he makes it, and it's good to back yourself but a look at Arsenal's history show's it to be littered with promising careers stalling there.
He won't be going there as first choice by a long way so a club which see's him as a challenger for a first team place will potentially see him as more valuable than Arsenal and offer him more money.

20 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:55

Guest


Guest
Arsenal give young players a chance, whether or not they take it is down to them and their ability but that's my point about backing oneself, you cannot blame Holding for doing so. It's too easy for fans to look from a distance and say oh he'd be better off at a smaller club. Arsenal are weak at centre half and there's every chance he'll get a run when Mertesacker or Koscielny are inevitably injured or suspended. 

You mention Chambers as an example but he had a good run at CB and after an initial good start went off the boil, he's been a victim of Bellerin's emergence for his natural RB position.

21 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 11:59

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
bwfc1874 wrote:Can't ever blame a footballer for backing themselves and having a go at the big time. Arsenal vs. Bournemouth is a no brainer let's face it, more money (and London to spend it in), better quality of coaching, world class facilities, the opportunity to play with some of the best players in the world, the chance to win trophies and play in the Champions League.

Good on him and I hope he makes it to the big time.

Well said. He is giving himself the best possible opportunity to succeed at the highest level. Good luck to the lad.

22 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:02

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:Arsenal give young players a chance, whether or not they take it is down to them and their ability but that's my point about backing oneself, you cannot blame Holding for doing so. It's too easy for fans to look from a distance and say oh he'd be better off at a smaller club. Arsenal are weak at centre half and there's every chance he'll get a run when Mertesacker or Koscielny are inevitably injured or suspended. 

You mention Chambers as an example but he had a good run at CB and after an initial good start went off the boil, he's been a victim of Bellerin's emergence for his natural RB position.
I disagree I think for everyone that get's a chance many don't. There are many clubs in the PL where he would get a better chance to play games IMO, and that would give him a great chance of a big move in the not too distant future when he would be readier for that jump a la Stones, and by playing more regularly of getting noticed for England who also appear to have a dearth of CB talent at the moment.

23 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:07

Guest


Guest
I think you're missing my point.

Everyone knows that plenty of players don't make the grade at top clubs - that's why they're top clubs. 

What I'm saying is you cannot blame a player for backing himself to be one of the very best who do end up making the grade.

You seem to think going to Arsenal will harm his England chances, I disagree, if he wasn't already on the England watch list he certainly is now. Like it or not the top clubs get preference when selecting England players (not something I agree with) - Holding has done himself a world of good and don't undervalue the difference top quality coaching makes. The choice between Arsenal and Bournemouth is a simple one IMO.

24 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:15

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:I think you're missing my point.

Everyone knows that plenty of players don't make the grade at top clubs - that's why they're top clubs. 

What I'm saying is you cannot blame a player for backing himself to be one of the very best who do end up making the grade.

You seem to think going to Arsenal will harm his England chances, I disagree, if he wasn't already on the England watch list he certainly is now. Like it or not the top clubs get preference when selecting England players (not something I agree with) - Holding has done himself a world of good and don't undervalue the difference top quality coaching makes. The choice between Arsenal and Bournemouth is a simple one IMO.
You keep saying Arsenal and Bournemouth, there are Southampton, Everton, Tottenham (although Alderweireld and Vertonghen would take some shifting), West Ham all who play young players.
You feel Arsenal is his best option and I don't, only time will tell.

25 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:24

Guest


Guest
There are also Barcelona, AC Milan and Real Madrid whilst you're at it. 

But I was talking about clubs who had actually shown an interest and made a bid, Holding doesn't get to just pick whichever club he wants!

26 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:29

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Everton, Tottenham and Southampton have been credited with an interest as have Bournemouth, the PL club supposed to have bid on him other than Arsenal supposedly wasn't Bournemouth.

27 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:31

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
whatsgoingon wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I think you're missing my point.

Everyone knows that plenty of players don't make the grade at top clubs - that's why they're top clubs. 

What I'm saying is you cannot blame a player for backing himself to be one of the very best who do end up making the grade.

You seem to think going to Arsenal will harm his England chances, I disagree, if he wasn't already on the England watch list he certainly is now. Like it or not the top clubs get preference when selecting England players (not something I agree with) - Holding has done himself a world of good and don't undervalue the difference top quality coaching makes. The choice between Arsenal and Bournemouth is a simple one IMO.
You keep saying Arsenal and Bournemouth, there are Southampton, Everton, Tottenham (although Alderweireld and Vertonghen would take some shifting), West Ham all who play young players.
You feel Arsenal is his best option and I don't, only time will tell.
I'm with '74 on this. He's young and he wants to make it to the top and Arsenal have shown they have confidence in him by putting the money on the table so it's up to him to grab his chance. And if he doesn't make it, moving on from Arsenal will probably get him a choice of clubs and better personal terms because of the perception that all their players have quality.

Which reminds me, what happened to Ryo Miyaichi? He's one who seems to have sunk without a trace.

28 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:31

Guest


Guest
Hm not from what I've read but maybe your sources are closer to the mark. Even so, the amount of young players who go and don't make it at Everton and Spurs is comparable to Arsenal so your point doesn't make much sense I'm afraid.

29 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:32

Guest


Guest
wanderlust wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I think you're missing my point.

Everyone knows that plenty of players don't make the grade at top clubs - that's why they're top clubs. 

What I'm saying is you cannot blame a player for backing himself to be one of the very best who do end up making the grade.

You seem to think going to Arsenal will harm his England chances, I disagree, if he wasn't already on the England watch list he certainly is now. Like it or not the top clubs get preference when selecting England players (not something I agree with) - Holding has done himself a world of good and don't undervalue the difference top quality coaching makes. The choice between Arsenal and Bournemouth is a simple one IMO.
You keep saying Arsenal and Bournemouth, there are Southampton, Everton, Tottenham (although Alderweireld and Vertonghen would take some shifting), West Ham all who play young players.
You feel Arsenal is his best option and I don't, only time will tell.
I'm with '74 on this. He's young and he wants to make it to the top and Arsenal have shown they have confidence in him by putting the money on the table so it's up to him to grab his chance. And if he doesn't make it, moving on from Arsenal will probably get him a choice of clubs and better personal terms because of the perception that all their players have quality.

Which reminds me, what happened to Ryo Miyaichi? He's one who seems to have sunk without a trace.

Last seen turning out for FC St Pauli! 

Guess Nat was right on this one.

30 Re: OFFICIAL - Arsenal sign Rob Holding on Tue Jul 19 2016, 12:38

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:Hm not from what I've read but maybe your sources are closer to the mark. Even so, the amount of young players who go and don't make it at Everton and Spurs is comparable to Arsenal so your point doesn't make much sense I'm afraid.
It does when you look back over all the examples, maybe it doesn't make sense to you but that isn't important to me.
As I said time will tell whether it's a good move or a bad move.
It also isn't just Arsenal this applies to City and Chelsea are equally guilty of buying for the sake of buying hoping that one or two make it.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum