boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Did I just see the Daily Express described as a newspaper? Shocked

32 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 12:18

Bollotom2014

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
The banks have jumped on the "Use your phone app, not the High Street branches" model. Loyds up in the markets and profit yet shedding thousands of jobs. The shareholders will be rubbing their hands with the expectation of bumper dividends after saving loadsadosh on rent and rates and maintenance. Good job we are going to be paying EDF £90+ per KW Hour once Hinckley Point comes online. Latest cost will be £10pa per household. Those French too are going to be rich. Oh, well, candles are still cheap.

33 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 12:20

whatsgoingon

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Let's face it, the economic reaction hasn't been good so far - that's just a fact.

But we knew this would be the case, the question is how long will it last? It's uncertainty that's causing this, so will it continue until we finalise an agreement - which could be 2 years away? I don't think anybody knows.

This is what pisses people off, no one does know but many seem to think they do and pass that opinion on as fact.

In fairness WGO, you've blown your lid a few times at others voicing their opinions. I think your main issue is not liking views that oppose your own.
Nobody does & it isn't opinions that bother me I'll accept anybody's opinion, it's when they're passed off as more than opinion.
But you're right I have reacted more than I should have on occassion

34 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 14:34

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
What gets my goat is this argument that "nobody knows what will happen to the economy" when whilst that's technically correct as regards the specific details, we do have a bloody good idea of what the headline story will be.  The London Stock Exchange was founded in 1692 and the American SE in 1712 so we have 300 years of data and experience to work with and we've seen hundreds of challenges to confidence like the current one before. It's a smoke screen IMO.

35 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 14:42

Sluffy

Admin
Dear God man get a grip!

36 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 16:02

wanderlust wrote:What gets my goat is this argument that "nobody knows what will happen to the economy" when whilst that's technically correct as regards the specific details, we do have a bloody good idea of what the headline story will be.  The London Stock Exchange was founded in 1692 and the American SE in 1712 so we have 300 years of data and experience to work with and we've seen hundreds of challenges to confidence like the current one before. It's a smoke screen IMO.

Most have predicted uncertainty will cause a downturn, that's clearly happening. What's not clear is how long the uncertainty - and in turn the downturn - will last. No amount of data will accurately predict that as its about politics and negotiations not market trends.

37 Re: Economy watch on Thu Jul 28 2016, 16:04

scottjames30

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

38 Re: Economy watch on Fri Jul 29 2016, 12:42

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Anybody else buying or selling a house ATM? Obviously the housing market is traditionally volatile but  usually the estate agents make a killing whichever way it goes, but not at the moment.
Foxton's who are big around London and the South East have just returned a 42% fall in profits and are reconsidering plans to open another 100 branches in and around London (shelved not scrapped) From where I am the housing market seems dead apart from properties under £250k. Are the boards staying up in your area or is there any movement?

39 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 21:03

boltonbonce wrote:Did I just see the Daily Express described as a newspaper? Shocked

A recent Express fact check.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-express-bananas-eu/23034

40 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 21:19

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
EU threatens future of British jam. Razz

41 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 22:45

xmiles

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
bwfc1874 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Did I just see the Daily Express described as a newspaper? Shocked

A recent Express fact check.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-express-bananas-eu/23034

Surely you realise that facts are like kryptonite to Brexit fans.

42 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 22:53

boltonbonce wrote:EU threatens future of British jam. Razz
That was one of the key policies. If you looked closely at the side of the bus it said £350 million for the NHS and we preserve our jam heritage.

43 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 23:00

As opposed to jamming our preserve heritage.

44 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 23:04

Don't understand but I'm very drunk

45 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 23:12

Jams are preserves.

It was a very weak word gag.

Sorry.

I too am imbibing.

46 Re: Economy watch on Sat Jul 30 2016, 23:39

whatsgoingon

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

47 Re: Economy watch on Sun Jul 31 2016, 01:01

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Golly!

48 Re: Economy watch on Sun Jul 31 2016, 01:03

boltonbonce wrote:Golly!

Gosh!

(Whispers: You can't say that anymore!)

49 Re: Economy watch on Sun Jul 31 2016, 01:13

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If I weren't half cut
id do a brucet golly but my face keeps falling into the keyboard

50 Re: Economy watch on Sun Jul 31 2016, 01:17

Me too - Tesco Whisky & Coke's to blame.

Still in holiday mode.

Been back at work for a week and decided that I'm still not ready for being serious and stuff yet.

I fecking hate working for a living......

51 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 13:24

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Following on from last week's partial recovery on the back of three month manufacturing figures it turned out that all the gains were made in April before the referendum. Subsequent studies now show UK manufacturing contracts at fastest pace for three years

This announcement has in turn driven down the pound and the FTSE - both have fallen by 0.3% today on the back of the the "dismal manufacturing figures".

The contraction of manufacturing has clear implications for exports - and flies in the face of the theory that a weak pound will boost exports to compensate for the reduced profit from European markets.

However, this post-referendum short term wobble was fully expected and we'll no doubt be back in the saddle any day now especially with all those countries queuing up to strike trade deals with us according to yesterday's Fail on Sunday.

52 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 14:46

Chairmanda

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
wanderlust wrote:Anybody else buying or selling a house ATM? Obviously the housing market is traditionally volatile but  usually the estate agents make a killing whichever way it goes, but not at the moment.
Foxton's who are big around London and the South East have just returned a 42% fall in profits and are reconsidering plans to open another 100 branches in and around London (shelved not scrapped) From where I am the housing market seems dead apart from properties under £250k. Are the boards staying up in your area or is there any movement?
I am selling, we aren't allowed boards where I live, so hard to know if there's more or less going on that way, personal experience, although it's not done till its done, I have no shortage of willing purchasers. I'm not in the sub £250k market so can't comment on that (never fail to be shocked at the disparity in house prices between Bolton and Bath!)

53 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 16:30

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote:Following on from last week's partial recovery on the back of three month manufacturing figures it turned out that all the gains were made in April before the referendum. Subsequent studies now show UK manufacturing contracts at fastest pace for three years

This announcement has in turn driven down the pound and the FTSE - both have fallen by 0.3% today on the back of the the "dismal manufacturing figures".

The contraction of manufacturing has clear implications for exports - and flies in the face of the theory that a weak pound will boost exports to compensate for the reduced profit from European markets.

However, this post-referendum short term wobble was fully expected and we'll no doubt be back in the saddle any day now especially with all those countries queuing up to strike trade deals with us according to yesterday's Fail on Sunday.

Petrol down 2p again today in Preston. Where are these massive hikes we were promised by the doom and gloom merchants?

They were also selling 3 full size Twirls for £1 on the forecourt. Good day all round.

54 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 16:50

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Following on from last week's partial recovery on the back of three month manufacturing figures it turned out that all the gains were made in April before the referendum. Subsequent studies now show UK manufacturing contracts at fastest pace for three years

Petrol down 2p again today in Preston. Where are these massive hikes we were promised by the doom and gloom merchants?

They were also selling 3 full size Twirls for £1 on the forecourt. Good day all round.
Retail prices shouldn't be affected until existing stocks have run out and we have to start importing raw materials and finished goods paying in the newly devalued pound which seems to have settled down at around 10% less than it was before the referendum. UK refineries usually carry about six months of stocks but they try to offset exchange rate issues by buying in advance at an agreed fixed price, so although  we have to buy (our own) oil in USD we are probably protected for a couple of years.
Twirls on the other hand are imported from Ireland so it's the euro exchange rate that will govern their price.

55 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 17:01

okocha

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
So why were we told that there would be some immediate cataclysmic effect post-Brexit that would require Osborne to impose further emergency austerity measures?

While we're at it, why are we still committing ourselves to mammoth white elephants such as HS2, updating of Trident and Hinkley, when we have record numbers using food banks etc?

56 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 17:05

Reebok Trotter

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote:Anybody else buying or selling a house ATM? Obviously the housing market is traditionally volatile but  usually the estate agents make a killing whichever way it goes, but not at the moment.

I have a mate who works as an estate agent. He reckoned the first few days post Brexit everything went quiet and sales were down but the last three weeks have seen a significant upturn with sales on the increase. He reckons prices have dropped slightly so it's a buyers market for those looking for a bargain.

57 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 17:10

Can't say I sypathise with any big estate agent. Set of lying cunt bags intent on ripping me off.

Fuck them all.

58 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 17:25

Reebok Trotter

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
bwfc1874 wrote:Can't say I sypathise with any big estate agent. Set of lying cunt bags intent on ripping me off.

Fuck them all.

I can't speak for all of them but my mate is actually a decent chap.

59 Re: Economy watch on Mon Aug 01 2016, 17:44

Reebok Trotter wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Can't say I sypathise with any big estate agent. Set of lying cunt bags intent on ripping me off.

Fuck them all.

I can't speak for all of them but my mate is actually a decent chap.

More so the big companies in London I expect Trotter. The market is so geared in their favour they can get away with murder when it comes to how they treat tenants.

60 Re: Economy watch on Tue Aug 02 2016, 15:04

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Contradictory figures from the construction sector just released. 
Construction activity continued to decline in July with the industry shrinking at it's fastest rate in seven years and this was reflected in reduced sales for builders merchants, however the Mineral Products Association says there was a slight increase in sales in July (Asphalt and concrete) 
So why are they selling more concrete and asphalt - but less of other materials - when overall building activity is falling? Weird.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum