Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 8-1 Walsall

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bolton 8-1 Walsall Empty Bolton 8-1 Walsall Sat Sep 17 2016, 13:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Not today's prediction but the actual score from some 33 years ago - 10th September 1983.

Made even more famous with Tony Caldwell scoring five of them - the most goals in one game by a Wanderers player ever!

It was also a third division game (the same division we are currently in for you youngsters who weren't about back in the day).

Caldwell, signed at the start of the season for £2,000 from Northern Premier League side Horwich RMI (remember them!).

Whilst it was something of a freak result, Walsall allowed Bolton acres of space in which to express themselves.

Bolton stuck to the task with Jeff Chandler revelling in the space that was given to him.

It was Chandler who set up the first two goals for Caldwell in the 18th and 22nd minutes and played a part in the third, scored by skipper Ray Deakin, in the 23rd minute.

Caldwell completed his hat-trick on the stroke of half-time and picked up two more goals in the 59th and 75th minutes. Simon Rudge scored Bolton’s seventh, cashing in on a mistake by the Walsall 'keeper.

The best was yet to come however, with Peter Valentine smashing home with a tremendous 25 yard volley.

Caldwell’s reward for his goal scoring feat was a full time contract, forcing John McGovern to sign him up three month’s ahead of the schedule he had set.

Unfortunately for us and him Caldwell never reached those heights again although he did score 58 league goals with us in his 139 appearances before leaving for Bristol City.

Here's a picture of him with the 'Marc Iles' of the day, with the back page of the Bolton Evening News.

Happy Days!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bolton Wanderers: Farnworth, Borrows, Deakin, Joyce, McElhinney, Valentine, Thompson, Chandler, Rudge, Caldwell (of course), Redfearn

Attendance 4,375

2Bolton 8-1 Walsall Empty Re: Bolton 8-1 Walsall Sun Sep 18 2016, 12:53

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Was there that day, probably had a pint for every goal that night as well, sometimes forget how poor our gates were in those days.

3Bolton 8-1 Walsall Empty Re: Bolton 8-1 Walsall Sun Sep 18 2016, 13:13

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I was in the Lever End with my Dad.

I can remember him moaning on the 501 home because we didn't hit double figures.

Good job I'm not like him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum