Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rochdale 1-0 Bolton - Match Report Post #39

+16
Hip Priest
doffcocker
xmiles
King Bill
boltonbonce
bryan458
terenceanne
karlypants
gloswhite
wessy
Norpig
Jack Russell
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
NickFazer
MartinBWFC
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bury won again, sad times when we're below Bury, and they're fooking laughing at us.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote:We were absolute shite, no question. But people need to adjust their expectations, our players are shite but that's all we can afford these days.

These are professional footballers being paid massive amounts of money yet they can't even pass a ball 5 yards without giving it away, or shoot straight when 5 yards out from goal. These are BASIC functions that most pub league players can do.

They deserve all the abuse they get. As does the manager for signing these inept fuckwits.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

you can understand to a certain extent the fans reaction last night, we started off with 4 wins which probably falsely raised all our expectations. 
Now we seem to be going backwards again with no win in 6 (i know we've had 4 draws but still) and with whats happened in the last few years and especially last season, fans are getting sick of this seemingly constant downward spiral.
We have no creative spark and no goal threat and a manager who seems to me to be negative in his teams set up

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hip Priest wrote:We were absolute shite, no question. But people need to adjust their expectations, our players are shite but that's all we can afford these days. At least we don't have a £190m debt hanging round our necks anymore. Hopefully the club can start again and begin to turn things round over the next 3 or 4 years. For me there was definitely plenty of effort and passion shown tonight, just awful team selection and tactics from the manager. The reaction of the crowd to the players at full time was way over the top and completely embarrassing. Also just what we don't need right now. It's a time for people at the club to rally round and stick together.
I wasn't there so can't comment on whether it was deserved or not- but these guys are 'professional' footballers (is playing football a profession?) and if they have anything about them they'll understand how the fans feel at the humiliation of being beaten by Rochdale. If they have anything about them its up to these players to perform on Saturday against Oxford and show the boo-boys that they were wrong.
If they can't or won't then they deserve all the abuse they get

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unless we get out of this rot, we'll go down again.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It is becoming a real problem, we have shown that mentally we are very brittle and these runs very quickly become the norm. We have Howard, Beevers, Wheater and Spearing and Clough if fit who pick themselves for the team and the rest of the places seem to be taken by default.
Even at the start when we were winning we weren't very good but nicked wins because we weren't conceding many but were scoring partly because of Madine (what's up with him now), but even back then we were set up to contain teams which in my opinion sends out a negative message to the players about how much confidence the manager has in them.
I'm really worried now that PP is a big mistake, I like to give managers time but am worried that he is out of his depth, get big sam back.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I didn't go last night, but the common concensus is that Trotter, both Taylors, and Wilson don't bring anything to the table, I understand with injuries and such we are limited, but we simply can't afford to be carrying the likes of Trotter.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

MartinBWFC wrote:I didn't go last night, but the common concensus is that Trotter, both Taylors, and Wilson don't bring anything to the table, I understand with injuries and such we are limited, but we simply can't afford to be carrying the likes of Trotter.

Nobody brought anything to the table, but players like Trotter, Wilson and Taylor are the fans whipping boys now.  Spearing was equally poor but won't get the same level of criticism. 

Every player is being carried because at the moment there is no shape to the team, and no style of play being implemented that the players can adhere to. That's the coaches job. Let's hope they sort it.

One bright spot last night was Thorpe. Slotted in really well and looked very composed.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Rochdale 1-0 Bolton

OVERVIEW

Wanderers succumbed to a narrow defeat at the hands of neighbours Rochdale after Steven Davies’ second-half strike proved to be enough to seal all three points for the hosts.

Through a combination of injury and illness, Phil Parkinson was forced into making four changes from the side that drew with Bradford City at Macron Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors shaded the first-half but were lacking a clinical edge throughout the contest which saw Dale hold on to their slender lead despite a late rally towards the end.

TEAM NEWS

Phil Parkinson made four changes with Keshi Anderson, Chris Taylor, Tom Thorpe and Lawrie Wilson coming in for Sammy Ameobi, Josh Vela, Mark Beevers and Lewis Buxton.

Thorpe, on loan from Rotherham, was making his first start in Wanderers colours as the visitors aimed to return to winning ways at the Crown Oil Arena.

FIRST HALF

Over 3,000 Wanderers fans packed the away end at the Crown Oil Arena to help fuel an intense atmosphere for this rarely-contested Lancashire derby.

The early stages didn’t offer any attacking threat for the crowd as both sides settled into their strides.

The hosts had the encounter’s first effort, but it was only a half-chance. Joe Thompson whipped in a teasing cross but it was sufficiently cleared by the Wanderers backline.

The visitors responded with Chris Taylor seeing his deflected looping effort fall into the grateful grasp of Josh Lillis.

A gilt-edged chance soon befell Wanderers and James Henry will be ruing the fact that he didn’t make Jamie Proctor’s centre count. The frontman put in a fine looking cross from the left hand side with Henry beating Dale’s defence at the far post to latch on to a volley. However, the on-loan midfielder was off target with the opportunity.

The pair linked up once again moments later which resulted in Henry’s shot deflecting for a corner.

Dale were forced into making an early substitution with the injured captain Ian Henderson being replaced by Steven Davies.

Wanderers were now starting to put their foot on the ball and taking control of the game. Again, following on from Saturday’s draw against Bradford at Macron Stadium, the defence looked solid and coped with Rochdale’s rare incursions into the final third.

Dale were losing their discipline and Matthew Lund was shown a yellow for a poorly-timed challenge on Moxey, who was left writhing in agony.

As the half wore on, Dale were enjoying more possession but Wanderers held firm leaving Mark Howard with little to do.

Dale had Lillis to thank for keeping them level on the cusp of half-time as he dived to his right to keep out Jay Spearing’s 20-yard low drive.

SECOND HALF

Dale took the lead shortly after the restart – against the context of the game – thanks to substitute Davies’ curling effort sailing into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

The hosts should have doubled their advantage moments later with Jamie Allen’s glancing header coming off the foot of Howard’s post.

It was an energetic start from Rochdale with Wanderers struggling to find their rhythm.

In an effort to get Wanderers immediately back into the contest, Phil Parkinson made a double attacking substitution with Zach Clough and Sammy Ameobi coming on for Keshi Anderson and Chris Taylor. With half an hour of the game remaining, the duo were given plenty of time to make a positive impact on Wanderers’ fortunes.

But it was at the other end were Wanderers’ luck held firm when Howard’s failure to catch a high ball into the box almost presented Dale a second. Somehow, the visitors, in the guise of Thorpe, managed to scramble away the danger.

Wanderers’ best chance of the game thus far fell to Henry, whose half-volley prompted a close-range parry from Lillis.

With ten minutes remaining, Wanderers were striving to salvage something from the game and Parkinson made his final change with Vela coming on for Wilson.

Henry, who appeared the most likely Wanderer to score, saw a late effort rebound painfully off the post before a frantic clearance from Dale’s desperate defence.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

It makes me wonder how long KA will put up with poor performances. 
On the one hand, we don't have a lot of dosh for a new manager, but on the other, he cannot afford to see us deteriorate much further due to, partly, bad management. I just hope that he doesn't wait as long as PG did in the past, as any gains we have made will quickly be eroded. We won't be in the same boat as last time, we'll be a division lower.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Bit soon to be talking about sacking the manager. We've been on a downward spiral for so long now it's not going to change over the course of ten games. 

Hopefully Parky knows what he's doing and with the state of the club in the last couple of years, a mid table finish would be a result. Because we won the first four, expectations have gotten out of proportion. 

As long as we don't get relegated I'll be ok with that. I can understand people going loco when they've paid good money for no return but you know what to expect. Either pay your money knowing full well it'll be a load of shite and get on with it or don't bother wasting your money. We are what we are - shit, and the sooner people reconcile their expectations with how good we actually are, the better.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:a mid table finish would be a result.

I'm sorry, but that's bollocks.

We may be skint but no more so than 90% of the teams in this league. Are you suggesting we're in our rightful place below Scunthorpe and Bury?

We have players in our team that should be walking this league. Virtually all of the main squad has performed at this level or above.

The simple fact is the new manager has continued the BWFC trend of signing and picking out of form or completely talentless tosspots. He let Wilkinson go and signed Proctor, what was the fucking point? He signed Chris Taylor who hasn't played well for years. Ameobi has started 11 games in 3 years! Trotter hasn't had a good game for BWFC in 3 seasons yet plays every week. I could go on.

Our form has nothing to do with money and everything to do with a shit manager and lazy, talentless players.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:a mid table finish would be a result.

I'm sorry, but that's bollocks.
It's not bollocks. Saying stuff like, "we should do this", or, "the players should be able to finish above Bury and scunthorpe", is pointless. 

The players are shit. Whether anyone thinks they are better than what they are showing is neither here nor there. The fact is, they're shit. 

So, we agree they're useless tosspots. Why then would you expect anything better than midtable?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Our form has nothing to do with money and everything to do with a shit manager and lazy, talentless players.
Unfortunately a manager with a lower level league mentality and shit players is what you get when you have no money.
We have got all the players we have got because other clubs saw flaws in either their ability or their mentality or in many cases both and let them go for nothing.
In Beevers and possibly Howard we got a result but others need to start contributing too.
I've always liked James Vaughan as a player who scores goals & Bury picked him up for nothing, we got Proctor so there are exceptions to this but we unfortunately don't seem to be finding them at the moment.
I believe or at least hope that Henry, Anderson and Ameobi can come good but I'm not sure we have a manager with an attacking eneough mentality to make that happen.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

In fairness I have got to back Nat up on this and answer that question by saying more than half of this division is even shitter or at least should be even if they managed to hit the dizzy heights of mediocrity.

Last edited by whatsgoingon on Wed Sep 28 2016, 11:28; edited 1 time in total

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
It's not bollocks. Saying stuff like, "we should do this", or, "the players should be able to finish above Bury and scunthorpe", is pointless. 

The players are shit. Whether anyone thinks they are better than what they are showing is neither here nor there. The fact is, they're shit. 

So, we agree they're useless tosspots. Why then would you expect anything better than midtable?

Given a choice is a player going to sign for Bolton, Bury or Scunthorpe. Bolton every time. Yet the other clubs have put together decent teams on no budget and we've put together a shit team on a bigger budget.

They are shit, but they are definitely underperforming. It's about time the manager stopped praising them in the media and told them to buck up or fuck off.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Given a choice is a player going to sign for Bolton, Bury or Scunthorpe. Bolton every time. Yet the other clubs have put together decent teams on no budget and we've put together a shit team on a bigger budget.

They are shit, but they are definitely underperforming. It's about time the manager stopped praising them in the media and told them to buck up or fuck off.
I agree with you on 99% of what you're saying except for the bit about them underperforming. I thought they were underperforming at one time as well but when it goes on for years and years I think it's time to concede that they're not underperforming, they're just shit.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It is difficult to argue with that point

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I would swap our team with Bury's every day of the week, they're better than us and will double our goal tally.

Our players are probably the worst we could get, there are players in league 2 that could fit right into our starting eleven.

Trotter is the first name on the team-sheet ffs.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Apart from the fact that we have a better stadium than these other lower league clubs, we have no more claim to sign players than anybody else. This is now our level. 
From some fans behaviour to it's team last night, I would imagine most prospective new signing would avoid signing for Bolton Wanderers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum