Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Kick out the JAMs

Kick out the JAMs

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Kick out the JAMs on Thu Nov 24 2016, 12:44

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
You probably have worked out that politically I'm a social meritocratist so what I'm about to write may seem slightly out of character but it needs to be said.

I have always thought that society should provide for those who are ill and infirm or otherwise unable to look after themselves, but this "Just About Managing" nonsense is starting to exercise me.

Has Britain gone totally soft?
When I were a lad, the vast majority of folk had nowt other than a work ethic and a will to do the best they can.
We ate whatever was put on the table. We walked miles to school because we couldn't afford bus fare. If we wanted a book, a telly or a car, we saved up until we could afford it and until then we did without. We lived within our means.

Few people complained and as a nation we generally got on with it and we took what we were given. It was the British way, the Blitz mentality, nose to the grindstone and acceptance of our lot - and for the most part we were happy, even if Xmas day presents amounted to little more than a tangerine and a piece of string.

Yesterday I watched the appalling tale of a bloke who works at Liverpool Uni, earns £29 grand and is struggling to keep his wife and five kids in a style to which they are accustomed.

Hang on? Five kids? When did we earn the right to have more kids than we can afford and insist that the rest of society picks up the bill? 

Is he just about managing to keep up the payments on his fancy car or his £100 a month SKY bill? Poor bastard.

Then it dawned on me that 90% of society is in the "Just About Managing" group that the Tories have created to appease the mood of the nation and distract folk from the problems they have caused.

No wonder we voted to leave the EU - I can only think of a handful of people who are not JAM. 

Because as long as society believes that it is a human right to breed beyond your capability to support or to spend beyond your capability to pay everyone will be "just about managing" - forever.

2 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Thu Nov 24 2016, 12:53

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I was expecting a thread about Fred "Sonic" Smith and the MC5.

I am now officially disappointed.

(But I do agree with everything written above. As will Whittam. And that concerns me a bit....)

3 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Thu Nov 24 2016, 12:56

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I was behind a young woman in our local corner shop last week,and she was complaining to her friend about the price of school uniforms,the price of food,and how much her Sky TV subscription was draining her resources.
She then proceeded to buy two packets of fags and ten scratch cards,which she scratched at the door of the shop,and,having won on two of them,cashed them in and bought some more.
Many people are genuinely struggling. But many more simply need to get their priorities right.

4 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Thu Nov 24 2016, 12:57

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
The example you cited is a damn site more bearable than the people who have never worked a day in their lives and increase their family size to increase their benefit cheque.
Nothing makes my blood boil more than reading about perpetual dossers with a litter of kids complaining because they need a bigger house and the nasty DHSS won't let them have one.

5 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Thu Nov 24 2016, 13:14

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It's the society we live in nowadays and it's not just a British thing.

We've all fallen for the con that we "deserve" the best all the time and if we don't get it, it's some other bastard's fault and we're entitled to some compo as a result.

And it's all short-termism - "I deserve it, I want it now so I'm having it and bollocks to the consequences."

Look at the NHS for example...

We're no longer patients, we're "customers" and this ridiculous notion of offering unnecessary choice is part of the reason it's going bust.

I've told this before on here but after a recent trip to A&E, I received a follow-up survey text asking me if I'd recommend the services of The Royal Bolton's A&E Dept to my friends and family.

I mean, seriously.....what the fuck?

It's an A&E department, not a fucking florist or a restaurant.

But they have to do this shit nowadays because it's all about convincing people that they're getting the best for their cash.

I don't give a shit where Bolton A&E ranks in some spurious league table, so long as they treat me fairly quickly and I don't die, I'm happy.

People demand too much nowadays and there's no sense of making the best of your lot and managing your own expectations - That's for losers apparently.

6 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Fri Nov 25 2016, 20:52

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Yes we are totally soft and not just here in the UK, the West in general has gone that way and if we are not careful we will pay a very heavy price.

7 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 00:39

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Fuck it, I'm posting it anyway because it's a good tune and my OCD has kicked in like some knee jerk Pavlov thing and a thread entitled "Kick out the Jams" has to somewhere contain this song.



Yeah, we're all soft nowadays - That's a point which pretty much is no longer up for discussion because it's an accepted fact of life in 2016.

You fall over on the pavement?

You cry a bit and then trot off to the nearest lawyer's office to sue the council.

Your post's late?

Moan like fuck on Facebook then start an "action group" to sue the Royal Mail!

Your overtime's down by about eight quid because Wages got it wrong?

Whine like fuck all fucking day at your boss and keep reminding him of it every time you see him even though he's already fucking told you that he'll sort it on Monday about six times, despite him thinking that you're a useless cock who he wouldn't employ to wash his car, let alone the do the stuff that you're employed to do......

(Sorry, the last one was all me.)

Edit: I've just had a think about it and eight quid is a packet of nappies to someone so I need to calm down and remember that I'm still a Socialist and stop being a twat - He's earnt that money.

Even if the bloke in question is in his fifties and gay with no kids....It's his money.

8 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 07:25

DEANO82


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Bread2.0 wrote:Fuck it, I'm posting it anyway because it's a good tune and my OCD has kicked in like some knee jerk Pavlov thing and a thread entitled "Kick out the Jams" has to somewhere contain this song.



Yeah, we're all soft nowadays - That's a point which pretty much is no longer up for discussion because it's an accepted fact of life in 2016.

You fall over on the pavement?

You cry a bit and then trot off to the nearest lawyer's office to sue the council.

Your post's late?

Moan like fuck on Facebook then start an "action group" to sue the Royal Mail!

Your overtime's down by about eight quid because Wages got it wrong?

Whine like fuck all fucking day at your boss and keep reminding him of it every time you see him even though he's already fucking told you that he'll sort it on Monday about six times, despite him thinking that you're a useless cock who he wouldn't employ to wash his car, let alone the do the stuff that you're employed to do......

(Sorry, the last one was all me.)

Edit: I've just had a think about it and eight quid is a packet of nappies to someone so I need to calm down and remember that I'm still a Socialist and stop being a twat - He's earnt that money.

Even if the bloke in question is in his fifties and gay with no kids....It's his money.
Hope you get your 8 quid on Monday  Very Happy

9 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 09:00

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Just that one example of the nappies shows how we've all gone nowadays. My kids had proper nappies, not padded ones, and they were washed and reused. Today they are all thrown away to clog up the system, and are apparently causing lots of problems. (are they really £8 to buy?)

10 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 09:51

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I can't tell you how many disposable nappies I have to pick up during the day. You can't trim a hedge without finding them.
WTF is wrong with people!?

11 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 10:53

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
i hate people who drop rubbish all over the place so i feel your pain Boncey

12 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 11:20

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:i hate people who drop rubbish all over the place so i feel your pain Boncey
We often have to grit pavements,and very often there's more rubbish in the shop front grit bin than there is in the litter bin,situated nearby. 
I just don't get it.

13 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 11:22

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
kids are the worst, i see them coming home from School sometimes, they've been to the chippy or shop, eat it then just throw the wrapper on the ground.

14 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 11:29

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:kids are the worst, i see them coming home from School sometimes, they've been to the chippy or shop, eat it then just throw the wrapper on the ground.
A pizza can be pretty expensive,but you'd be amazed at how many boxes we find with just one slice taken out,then discarded for the birds and rats. If I buy a pizza,I make sure I eat it.
Mind you,there is an up side,because we find,on average,£150 per year in lost bank notes.

15 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 12:59

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Your pension pot must be quite full now then  Very Happy

16 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 13:12

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:Your pension pot must be quite full now then  Very Happy
Sadly not. It all goes into our charity pot,which we dispense every six months to local charities.

Our last donation was £850.00 to Bolton Mountain Rescue.

17 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 14:44

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Good move, well done. (I didn't know there was such a thing as Bolton Mountain Rescue, or even mountains in Bolton  Very Happy ) Maybe my memory has dimmed over the years in exile.

18 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 14:47

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:Good move, well done. (I didn't know there was such a thing as Bolton Mountain Rescue, or even mountains in Bolton  Very Happy ) Maybe my memory has dimmed over the years in exile.
You will be surprised at the amount of pillocks that need the service having got lost trying to find their way back to their car after a good dogging session up Belmont!

19 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 15:22

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
There's a Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team too. Honestly.

I think the point is that "Just About Managing" is that it's a function of unmanaged expectations. 

Everyone apparently has the right to do anything, own everything and achieve anything nowadays regardless of their talent and effort - so there are going to be a lot of disappointed people out there which goes a long way to explaining Trump and Brexit.

20 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:44

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
That sums it up. Everyone knows their rights but ignores their responsibilities

21 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:47

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It's all Milton Friedman's fault.

Well......him and Thatcher.

Obviously.

22 Re: Kick out the JAMs on Mon Nov 28 2016, 22:35

Soul Kitchen

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
boltonbonce wrote:I can't tell you how many disposable nappies I have to pick up during the day. You can't trim a hedge without finding them.
WTF is wrong with people!?
Not to mention dog turds in bags hung on tree branches. The hard work is done when it's in the bag but obviously some folk have problems carrying turds in a bag?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum