Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Scrabble

Scrabble

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 16:38

Sluffy

Admin
Took my daughter to lunch the other day and the restaurant we went to has a sort of gimmick whereby they have various board games available to play for free whilst you are waiting for your food to be cooked.

We ended up playing Scrabble and with my daughter having a university education and me collecting my pension these days, I thought I was in for a bit of a Scrabble hammering from her.

In fact I was rather surprised at how greater a vocabulary I seemed to have than a very extensive social network user and research and dissertation writer in herself.

Ok, only one game and all that but it did get me thinking why she hadn't even heard before of some of the words I used.

Quire for instance (not a dyslexics singing group but a number of sheets of paper) and daub (not someone who lives on a certain 'hill' in Bolton but to smear something on something else).

I accept these are 'old' words that you probably don't here much these days and wondered if todays '140 characters or less' generation have lost some of the richness of the English language due to seemingly use less words to communicate with each other and more pictures, gif's, or emoji's, etc?

Do you enjoy a game of scrabble, or have any favourite words you use that others have never heard before?

(Oh and I was winning by 4 points when the food arrived and we packed away - I don't think she will take me so lightly the next time though!).

Very Happy

2 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 16:41

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Long story short, they let anyone go to uni these days

3 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 16:48

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:Ok, only one game and all that but it did get me thinking why she hadn't even heard before of some of the words I used.

I bet you used 'bullery'.

4 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 16:50

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Love Scrabble. Don't play as much as I used to,but I quite often have a game of Scrabble Patience,which can be played by a single player. Can't remember my best score.
When we played as a family,I found the trick to getting a good score was knowing your two letter words.
I know a few people who play online.
I remember an episode of Steptoe and Son,where the pair were having it out on the Scrabble board,with the younger Steptoe despairing of how his Father was winning.

5 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 17:09

Sluffy

Admin
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Ok, only one game and all that but it did get me thinking why she hadn't even heard before of some of the words I used.

I bet you used 'bullery'.

Surprisingly I didn't.

I failed to use bumchummery and bellend either!

Very Happy

6 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 17:41

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It's 'bumchumary', don't you people understand English?

7 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 18:35

Soul Kitchen

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Scrawped, as in scrawped my knee.

8 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 19:15

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
I love the game and the key is knowing those 2 letter words and making use of those triple scores

9 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 20:23

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
BoltonTillIDie wrote:I love the game and the key is knowing those 2 letter words and making use of those triple scores
:agree:

10 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 20:35

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Discussing Scrabble. A new low for Nuts.

I almost miss the gay sex days.....

11 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 20:38

Numpty 28723

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
This happened in a game against the computer recently - I thought I'd come up with a perfectly valid six-letter word only to find that it wasn't allowed.

Everyone knows that a "brucie" is another name for a hairpiece that's a different colour to the rest of your hair.

It can also be used as a slang term for gay sex.

12 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 21:17

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm scouring the yellow pages for a hitman. Shocked

13 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 21:31

Numpty 28723

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Very Happy 

14 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 21:38

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Waterman is a nobody. Brucie has been at it since the days of black and white TV. Here he is breaking out of prison to appear on Sunday Night At The London Palladium.

15 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 21:41

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Natasha wrote:I almost miss the gay sex days.....
Didn't think you was gay

16 Re: Scrabble on Tue Jan 24 2017, 22:19

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
BoltonTillIDie wrote:
Natasha wrote:I almost miss the gay sex days.....
Didn't think you was gay
lol!

17 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:32

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
My mate plays six or seven games simultaneously on line with a group of mates some of whom take ages to respond. Last week he made the mistake of leaving his tablet lying around whilst logged in to a game with his missus. His hand was FULCTAN and there was an open "P" in the centre of the board. I am not proud of what I did next but it was 72 points.

18 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:42

Sluffy

Admin
Best I can find with those letters (and P) is CLAPT?

19 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:46

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Cuntflap?

20 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:48

Sluffy

Admin
I guess this just goes to show then difference of how different peoples minds work!

Very Happy

21 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:51

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Razz

22 Re: Scrabble on Wed Jan 25 2017, 13:45

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
boltonbonce wrote:Cuntflap?

You rang...?