You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » BREAKING NEWS - TERROR ATTACK outside Parliament

BREAKING NEWS - TERROR ATTACK outside Parliament

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breaking news.

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
Shots are reported to have been fired close to the Houses of Parliament in central London.
Politicians and journalists have tweeted about hearing loud crashes outside the buildings,
Witnesses said they saw people being treated for wounds and reported seeing a man with a knife in the grounds.
Staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices. The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said police told her someone had been shot.
She said MPs had told her they heard "three or four gunshots".
Scotland Yard said it was called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.
Transport for London said Westminster underground station has been shut at the police's request.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39355940

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
Eyewitnesses describe seeing a man with a knife within the confines of the Palace, while the journalist Quentin Letts described seeing a "parliamentary security men shoot a man who had attacked a policeman".

There are also reports of a dozen people injured on Westminster Bridge after a car attempted to run down a number of pedestrians, but this has not yet been confirmed.



http://news.sky.com/story/gunshots-outside-parliament-8211-several-injured-10810680

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
A "police officer has been stabbed" and the "alleged assailant was shot by armed police", Commons Leader David Lidington has told MPs.

From Radoslaw Sikorski on twitter - about 5 minutes ago -

A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people.

Incudes a video -

https://twitter.com/sikorskiradek

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
One woman now reported dead.
A number of other people have 'catastrophic' injuries,according to a junior doctor.

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Jesus Christ.

I hope everyone else is ok.

Fabians Right Peg

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
They are checking out the car which was crashed into the railings, suspect package inside. MP's being held in commons.

Fabians Right Peg

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Now reporting that the police officer who was stabbed has died.

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fabians Right Peg wrote:Now reporting that the police officer who was stabbed has died.
Four now reportedly dead including the terrorist.

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
22:34
The officer who died in the attack has been named as Keith Palmer.
Scotland Yard's Mark Rowley said Mr Palmer, 48, had 15 years service as a police officer and was a husband and father.

R.I.P.

MartinBWFC

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
R.I.P indeed, you go out to work, you should expect to go home to your family, these bastards have taken that privelige away, hang them.

Soul Kitchen

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
How ironic that plaudits were being given to a terrorist on Tuesday and this happens Wednesday. What a mixed up World!
RIP

Soul Kitchen

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
MartinBWFC wrote:R.I.P indeed, you go out to work, you should expect to go home to your family, these bastards have taken that privelige away, hang them.
+1

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
British born attacker known to MI5

Goes to show that this type of attack will always be a threat and that security forces have an impossible job trying to prioritise over 100k people they are monitoring.

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
These kind of attacks just give more ammunition to the likes of Donald Trump. RIP to those who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok Trotter wrote:These kind of attacks just give more ammunition to the likes of Donald Trump. RIP to those who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Ultimately I think we'll just have to accept the threat as an occupational hazard/ fact of life. If every car is a weapon, it's impossible to defend against. 
And there are so many easy targets out there.

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Is it time to routinely arm the plod?

I've always staunchly argued against it on the basis that gun crime in this country isn't (statistically at least) that bad a problem and arming coppers encourages the bad guys to carry guns as well.

But.....if the poor sod who died in this incident had been carrying, he may well still be alive today.

Driving a car into a crowd of pedestrians appears to be the current method of attack for these loonies and giving coppers handguns can't really stop that happening but is it time for a rethink?

I'm torn.

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm not an advocate for arming the police,but I think any officer on duty at what might be considered an
area of significance,should be routinely armed.

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Bread2.0 wrote:Is it time to routinely arm the plod?

I've always staunchly argued against it on the basis that gun crime in this country isn't (statistically at least) that bad a problem and arming coppers encourages the bad guys to carry guns as well.

But.....if the poor sod who died in this incident had been carrying, he may well still be alive today.

Driving a car into a crowd of pedestrians appears to be the current method of attack for these loonies and giving coppers handguns can't really stop that happening but is it time for a rethink?

I'm torn.
i did think it was odd that the policeman that died was an unarmed member of the Parliamentary and diplomatic protection squad, surely he should have been armed?

I think the time has definitely come for the Police to be armed in certain circumstances and locations

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:
Bread2.0 wrote:Is it time to routinely arm the plod?

I've always staunchly argued against it on the basis that gun crime in this country isn't (statistically at least) that bad a problem and arming coppers encourages the bad guys to carry guns as well.

But.....if the poor sod who died in this incident had been carrying, he may well still be alive today.

Driving a car into a crowd of pedestrians appears to be the current method of attack for these loonies and giving coppers handguns can't really stop that happening but is it time for a rethink?

I'm torn.
i did think it was odd that the policeman that died was an unarmed member of the Parliamentary and diplomatic protection squad, surely he should have been armed?

I think the time has definitely come for the Police to be armed in certain circumstances and locations

According to an eye witness account on BBC the terrorist attacked a policeman who had already fallen over before being shot. I assume the policeman was wearing a stab vest and he was killed because he was already on the ground and more vulnerable. I don't think it would have made much difference if he had been armed.

okocha

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Reebok Trotter wrote:These kind of attacks just give more ammunition to the likes of Donald Trump. RIP to those who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Has Trump sent any condolences at all? He's usually quick enough to leap to Twitter to deliver his rhetoric.

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
okocha wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:These kind of attacks just give more ammunition to the likes of Donald Trump. RIP to those who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Has Trump sent any condolences at all? He's usually quick enough to leap to Twitter to deliver his rhetoric.

No but Number One Son jumped straight onto Twitter last night to try and make political capital out of this tragedy by having a dig at Sadiq Khan:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/donald-trump-jr-tweet-london-mayor-sadiq-khan

The apple falls not far from the tree.....

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Yes, he did send his condolences. It was mentioned on the TV last night

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Yeah, fair does - I retract my statement that he didn't send his condolences because, as Glos says, he did tweet about it last night.

However......would he have worded his tweet the way he did if Theresa had been a Terry instead?

Bit patronising if you ask me.

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
So we've reached the stage of tweeting condolences. Oh dear.

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
There is an argument that arming the police encourages criminals to use guns, but in other countries I've lived in where the police are armed the only criminals with guns are the ones who go to war with other gangs or are willing to take on the police - and that happens anyway in the UK.

Having an armed police presence on the streets obviously adds the risk of trigger happy cops, but I do know a police marksman and the training is excellent so I think the risk could be ameliorated as far as possible.

Where the police are routinely armed it definitely gets the police more respect from the general public and minimises a whole range of crimes, so i don't think arming the police would be a completely bad thing - provided it was done properly.

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I have an open mind about a general armimg of the police but if they were all armed I doubt that they would all receive the level of training that police marksmen receive. However other European countries seem to manage with armed police forces without them ending up like America.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum