Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comic Relief - is it past its sell by date?

+6
xmiles
wanderlust
Norpig
rammywhite
Bread2.0
Sluffy
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Now there is nothing wrong giving to those who are worse off than ourselves but either do something that brings about permanent change or otherwise what is the point?

So what are you upto tonight then? Saving the world from your armchair in Slough?

You're dead wrong on this one sluffy, and while you may be right about some of the money that goes abroad, the money that's used in the UK is wisely spent - none more so than the £100,000 that went to a centre for handicapped children in Preston.

Comic Relief raises millions for children and projects all over the world, if you honestly think it has no long-term impact on peoples lives then may I suggest you take a trip to Preston and see the smiles on the kids faces.

As for the comedy itself, most of it is hit and miss, but there have  been brilliant moments. Ali G interviewing the Beckhams, George Michael in his England shellsuit with Smiffy from Gavin & Stacey, Elton John being asked by Matt Lucas if he enjoys filling Celine Dion's slot in Las Vegas, and Men Behaving Badly not recognising Kylie Minogue when she crashed into their van.

Each to their own, but whether it's funny or not, it's a lot more important than the football yet I don't see you advocating for a TV shutdown of the Premier League.

Very Happy

I don't watch Premier League football and to be honest I've really got little interest at all in football other than just the habit of a lifetime following the Wanderers - dating back to before many on here were even born.

So yes, a TV shutdown of the Premier League would be fine by me.

I did state in my opening paragraph (which you and several others have clearly chosen to ignore - sad some feel the need to do that simply to score points against me on an internet football forum) that I'm not against raising money for charity but as the old saying goes, I believe that it should begin at home.

Fwiw I'm a regular giver to charity but I choose to donate to those I believe are meaningful to me and my family such as Cancer Research and Macmillan Nurses (my parents died from cancer) I've seem first hand how cruel and awful cancer is and the sooner a cure is found the better for mankind.

As I stated above what is the point in trying to stick a financial sticking plaster worldwide of what, £25 million per year (half of the £100 million Comic Relief raises biennially - the other half being spent at home) when just our country alone spends (according to a post above) £12.2 BILLION per year and still can't stop poverty, famine and inequality anywhere at all in the world?

I did actually state the money raised would be much better spent on the NHS Trusts and I would imagine that the £100,000 handicapped children centre in Preston that you refer to is actually linked to your local NHS in some way or other?

Up to individuals as to what you choose to do with your money and what actual end value it provides but I feel better knowing my donations are going to something that makes my community a better place for those who need the help than some random place across the globe that probably will need never ending handouts because their own leaders don't have the will or desire to permanently  change things for the better of their own people because they come from the wrong tribe or religion.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's not much of an apology.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I usually enjoy the comic relief specials that are made.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:Ive split the bloody thing trying to get it on my conk.  bring back the plastic ones that used to cut your nose Very Happy

I look like a comic relief football hooligan Smile

I misread that for a second  and thought that you were a complete deviant!!

rammywhite wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Ive split the bloody thing trying to get it on my conk.  bring back the plastic ones that used to cut your nose Very Happy

I look like a comic relief football hooligan Smile

I misread that for a second  and thought that you were a complete deviant!!
:rofl:  i actually had to re-read it myself Very Happy

We doing a chatbox for comic relief Wink

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Think I'll watch RoI v Wales. Should be a good game.

boltonbonce wrote:Think I'll watch RoI v Wales. Should be a good game.
 Was a good charity you pot up before boncey. Never greased of it until you posted it

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
 Was a good charity you pot up before boncey. Never greased of it until you posted it
It's a good one Johnny. Makes such a difference to those kids.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hard not to well up when TV shows those pictures of children starving to death, and knowing that my donation could make some difference.  It would take a heart of stone to turn away, irrespective of practicalities.

I was looking at the wealth of the richest man and woman on earth today.....Gates and a French woman who is the largest shareholder in L'Oreal:- Gates worth £70 bn and the cosmetics billionaire  worth £40 bn. I'm sure they donate to good causes but I hope it's an amount  proportionate to what "ordinary" folk give.

Does Trump fork out appropriately too? Hmmm, I have my doubts.....

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Hard not to well up when TV shows those pictures of children starving to death, and knowing that my donation could make some difference.  It would take a heart of stone to turn away, irrespective of practicalities.

I was looking at the wealth of the richest man and woman on earth today.....Gates and a French woman who is the largest shareholder in L'Oreal:- Gates worth £70 bn and the cosmetics billionaire  worth £40 bn. I'm sure they donate to good causes but I hope it's an amount  proportionate to what "ordinary" folk give.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

boltonbonce wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Completely agree.  If i win the points thing it will be my chosen charity.  But 88 points is still a tall order i think

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Completely agree.  If i win the points thing it will be my chosen charity.  But 88 points is still a tall order i think
Better guess than mine.(The low 50's). Embarassed

okocha wrote:Hard not to well up when TV shows those pictures of children starving to death, and knowing that my donation could make some difference.  It would take a heart of stone to turn away, irrespective of practicalities.

Bill gates gives away a huge amount for various things and a lot of them make an immediate impact.

Zuckerberg (facebook) is the same

boltonbonce wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Better guess than mine.(The low 50's). Embarassed
Well they got a fiver today they wouldnt of got without you posting it up boncey. Thanks

Again, i think i may be in the minority on this one but i like james corden

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's nice of you Johnny. Glad that it's caught your attention.

So many good causes,and we just can't afford to donate to them all.

If anyone else donated,thanks.

Sadly,I can't donate any hair. Crying or Very sad

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

0-0 in Ireland at HT. Some tasty elbows going in.

Salford winning 0-30 away at widnes at half time.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Salford winning 0-30 away at widnes at half time.
Get in. :like:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum