Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parky and Wanderers in the Championship

+12
NickFazer
boltonbonce
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
gloswhite
wessy
Cajunboy
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
observer
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We still have a long way to go before we are promoted, but what happens beyond that is dependent on who owns us, how much money they are willing to invest in the team and how ambitious they are.
I would expect KA to talk about cutting wages if he remains the owner without further investment, especially when you look at the size of the contracts the likes of Mavies and Prats are on. But new owners could mean a whole new ball game.

If we don't get promoted it will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:We still have a long way to go before we are promoted...

We could be promoted as soon as Saturday if the results go in our favour.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

I could win the lottery tomorrow if the balls come out in my favour but it's not guaranteed.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I bloody well hope so!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!

Wheater is a different case, we went down and he didn't seem to have many options due to his injury issues, this time round it will be a lot different i would think.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!

Well it still isn't the same.

Several of those coming out of contract are on Premier wages - renewing contracts on that basis would be insane and unsustainable for the club - and that is why they won't be doing it - even those players involved - Mavies, Spearing, etc, would understand that.

Similarly totally overpriced wages given to the likes of Trotter, Moxey, etc, won't be handed out to them again - although I doubt we would even want to retain them even if they offered to play for free!

As far as I can understand it these are the players out of contract in the summer -

Buxton
Moxey
Dervite
Spearing
Madine
Mavis
Trotter
Clayton
Wilson
Morais
Wabara
Walker
Wheater
Jaaskelainen

with these being contracted for next year and beyond - Howard, Alnwick, Beevers, Derik, Pratley, Chris Taylor, Proctor, Wilkinson are contracted to June 2018; Amos and Vela to June 2019.

The kids out of contract are - Alex Honeyball, Callum Spooner, Alex Perry and George Newell.

The rest are loanees - many of whom will be out of contract (I think Long and Otabar are the only two who are not(?).

To be honest I don't really think that other than the few obvious over paid under performers such as Mavies, Trotter, etc, that any other key players for us this season will have vastly different contract renewal offers than they are already on.

The problem with the wages still lies with the likes of money Pratley, Amos and (believe it or not) Wilkinson are still on for yet another season (or two seasons in the case of Amos).

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i was only referring to out of contract players Sluffy, it just sends out the wrong message to me -  well done on promotion lads but if you want to stay and play in a higher division we are going to pay you less!
I think KA was referring to the overall wage bill rather than individual player's wages. 

If he lets Mavies and a few others go we could still recruit and reduce the overall wage bill at the same time. I think it's more of a case of "well done on promotion lads but if you want more than you are currently earning you can p*** off"

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its a tough balancing act i get that, i just hope we can retain the likes of Wheater and Spearing if and when we go up as we will need them next season. Plenty of that list can go and are long overdue getting the boot. Whether we can recruit better players for the money we will have available is another question though.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Its a tough balancing act i get that, i just hope we can retain the likes of Wheater and Spearing if and when we go up as we will need them next season. Plenty of that list can go and are long overdue getting the boot. Whether we can recruit better players for the money we will have available is another question though.
But we have no idea how much money will be available for transfers though. If Ken sells to the right buyer we could have a £200 million budget. If he doesn't we could be scouring Bolton Sunday League for a striker.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

How much is promotion worth to the club ?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:How much is promotion worth to the club ?

Priceless.

A Chinese consortium are waiting in the wings to pump serious cash into the club assuming we do gain promotion.

Next season will be exciting

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:

Priceless.

A Chinese consortium are waiting in the wings to pump serious cash into the club assuming we do gain promotion.

If true we can start to get excited for next season.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

MartinBWFC wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

Priceless.

If true we can start to get excited for next season.
First, let's win two games quickly.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Until i see a gaggle of Chinese businessmen on the pitch at the Macron waving and holding scarves i won't believe it  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:Its a tough balancing act i get that, i just hope we can retain the likes of Wheater and Spearing if and when we go up as we will need them next season. Plenty of that list can go and are long overdue getting the boot. Whether we can recruit better players for the money we will have available is another question though.
But we have no idea how much money will be available for transfers though. If Ken sells to the right buyer we could have a £200 million budget. If he doesn't we could be scouring Bolton Sunday League for a striker.

I don't think that is correct.

I thought the new Financial Fair Play rules severely curtailed how much owners could pump into the club.

We could find ourselves with a billionaire owner but still only allowed to spend a few million of their money based on whatever the criteria is (a set maximum percentage of the clubs turnover - or something like that).

Still even that would be better than nothing - provide we invest it well - we don't want to blow it all on another Marvin Sordell would we.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

I thought the new Financial Fair Play rules severely curtailed how much owners could pump into the club.

We could find ourselves with a billionaire owner but still only allowed to spend a few million of their money based on whatever the criteria is (a set maximum percentage of the clubs turnover - or something like that).

Still even that would be better than nothing - provide we invest it well - we don't want to blow it all on another Marvin Sordell would we.
Thanks Owen.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

You're right -  although the point is valid IMO.

To be exact, clubs can spend up to €5million more than they earn per assessment period. However it can exceed this level to a certain limit, if it is entirely covered by a direct contribution/payment from the club owner(s) or a related party. This prevents the build-up of unsustainable debt.The limit is €30m for assessment period 2017/18 and the previous two years.
In order to promote investment in stadiums, training facilities, youth development and women’s football (from 2015), all such costs are excluded from the break-even calculation.
So if the club breaks even after the above costs are taken out, and the new owners were prepared to invest then the maximum we could spend in the summer would be €30m million. Not sure where the increased TV income would figure in the calculation though as it's a 3 year assessment period.
That's only on transfer fees though and we could go back down the route of buying cheap and paying high wages providing the new owners put the money into the club as opposed to lending the club money as ED did.
Given those limitations, it's still pretty clear that a new owner could substantially improve our prospects of being competitive in the Championship.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Theres always ways round these figures for clubs, City have been at it for years with massive so called sponsorship deals from their owners via another company. 

£30million would be nice though and could go a long way in the Championship i bet.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

You're right -  although the point is valid IMO.

To be exact, clubs can spend up to €5million more than they earn per assessment period. However it can exceed this level to a certain limit, if it is entirely covered by a direct contribution/payment from the club owner(s) or a related party. This prevents the build-up of unsustainable debt.The limit is €30m for assessment period 2017/18 and the previous two years.
In order to promote investment in stadiums, training facilities, youth development and women’s football (from 2015), all such costs are excluded from the break-even calculation.
So if the club breaks even after the above costs are taken out, and the new owners were prepared to invest then the maximum we could spend in the summer would be €30m million. Not sure where the increased TV income would figure in the calculation though as it's a 3 year assessment period.
That's only on transfer fees though and we could go back down the route of buying cheap and paying high wages providing the new owners put the money into the club as opposed to lending the club money as ED did.
Given those limitations, it's still pretty clear that a new owner could substantially improve our prospects of being competitive in the Championship.

If that is the case then it's all a bit academic really because we aren't going to be breaking even this season -  we are reportedly losing around £850k per month and will be doing ubtil the end of July until the wages of the likes of Mavis and Spearing can finally be got rid off.

I also think this £30 million is the total amount of investment that could be pumped into the club by any new owner and not just exclusively for a transfer kitty.

Even if we did somehow manage to get over all those barriers which 'established' players from Championship clubs or better, are going to want to join us for the 'challenge'?  They will only want to come to a potentially struggling team next season for the money.

I think the way forward - and what we will probably actually see in the main is that we sign players who have come to the end of their contracts at other clubs, or buy some potential talent that the club as spotted in the lower leagues that won't cost us too much (plus of course resigning the best of our own players who have come to the end of their contracts this summer).

I'll be amazed if we spend big on anybody this summer - rather I imagine there will be a financial pressure to consider selling players such as Vela and Beevers if the right offers come in.

Fingers crossed they don't!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum