Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers plan double defensive raid on Bradford City

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

PHIL Parkinson is ready to raid his former club Bradford City for TWO of his former charges, The Bolton News understands.
The Wanderers boss is looking to sign out-of-contract defenders James Meredith and Tony McMahon for his side’s Championship tilt next season.
The Bantams, who missed out on promotion in the play-off final, have offered both players a new deal at Valley Parade.
Parkinson has opened talks, however, and faces competition from other clubs in the Championship and League One, including Millwall and Charlton.

Australian Meredith was plucked from non-league football by Parkinson, helping his Bradford side to promotion from League One in his first year.
The left-back was voted into the PFA League One team of the year this season and could be signed as competition for Andy Taylor, who signed a two-year deal with the Whites last week.
McMahon started his career at Middlesbrough along with Taylor and David Wheater and can play either as a right wing-back or in midfield.
He also featured heavily for Parkinson in his Bradford days and has weighed in with 12 goals in his last two seasons.
Bradford have not given up hope of convincing the two players to remain in League One, with chief operating officer James Mason stating last week: “It’s a waiting game,” he said. “The out-of-contract players who we’d like to keep have been offered contracts. They are now with the players, their agents and families to discuss.”
The pair could join former team-mate Filipe Morais, who is in discussion about a new deal with Wanderers, but it is understood no contact has yet been made with Stephen Darby, the defender freed by Bradford last week.
Wanderers made an approach for the former Liverpool man in January, mooting a swap deal with striker Jamie Proctor.
The offer was rejected and it was widely expected Darby would link-up again with his former Bradford boss.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/15314402.Wanderers_boss_Parkinson_is_a_Valley_Pair_raider/

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

However!

Lions secure first summer signing

Millwall Football Club is delighted to announce that a deal has been agreed to sign James Meredith.

The left-back, previously of Bradford City, will officially become a Millwall player on July 1st. He has put pen-to-paper on a two-year contract and will complete a medical when he returns from holiday next week.

Meredith made over 200 appearances for The Bantams after joining them from York City in 2012. An Australian international with two caps to his name, the 29-year-old also previously played for Chesterfield and Shrewsbury amongst others in the early part of a career which began as a trainee at Derby County.

The defender scored against Millwall in a 1-1 draw at Valley Parade during 2016/17, as well as featuring in the Play-Off Final, and Lions boss Neil Harris is pleased to have secured his first signing since leading the club to the Championship.

He told millwallfc.co.uk: "It's important for us now at Championship level that we strengthen positions across the park and James' arrival certainly does that. Competition for places is vital if we're to be successful.

"He adds further quality to our left-hand side and arrives in form having enjoyed a brilliant season for Bradford. James has been putting in consistently good performances for some time, including against us, and I'm looking forward to working with him once pre-season training begins in the latter part of June."

Meredith said: "I met Neil and he came across so well. He's ambitious and has big plans both for the football club and for me as an individual, which is exactly what you want to hear and made Millwall the most attractive option for me.

"I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know my new team-mates during pre-season. There's a lot of hard work ahead because the Championship is a very demanding League with tough games every week.

"I'm excited for what the future holds and can't wait to play as a Millwall player at The Den. Whenever I've played there before the atmosphere has been great."

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/millwall-james-meredith-championship-3726260.aspx#WaIhLY9e5ALx5JuE.99

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thank fook.

Why we are looking at back up players before we've even finalised our first team is beyond me. We have no cash so we should get our priorities right. And that's a strong first 11.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Thank fook.

Why we are looking at back up players before we've even finalised our first team is beyond me. We have no cash so we should get our priorities right. And that's a strong first 11.

To my knowledge, Wheater, Dervite, Spearing and a bunch of others still haven't agreed to play for us next season so depending on our financial situation, this could be recruiting for the first X1.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:To my knowledge, Wheater, Dervite, Spearing and a bunch of others still haven't agreed to play for us next season so depending on our financial situation, this could be recruiting for the first X1.

Our first 11 will involve two left backs?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum