Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Brexit negotiations

Brexit negotiations

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 9 of 12]

241 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 11:56

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
gloswhite wrote:I think this whole Brexit show is going in the direction most people thought it would,

Really? Your rose tinted spectacles must be working overtime glos.

242 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:00

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

243 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:02

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
No XM, I've been looking at an over-arching view, and even with all the kicking and screaming, there's only two outcomes. A no deal, or an acceptable deal. Now that just about everyone realises that we aren't going to stay in the EU, the dust is beginning to settle. We're nowhere near a proper process, never mind outcomes, but we'll get there, because there's no alternative now.

244 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:03

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
boltonbonce wrote:
At least this will put us all on a proper diet, and save billions for the NHS  Very Happy

245 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:09

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
At least this will put us all on a proper diet, and save billions for the NHS  Very Happy
I agree. We've never been healthier. Nat might struggle to get hold of her favourite chocolate though.
At least until the Yanks arrive. Very Happy

246 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:13

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
gloswhite wrote:No XM, I've been looking at an over-arching view, and even with all the kicking and screaming, there's only two outcomes. A no deal, or an acceptable deal. Now that just about everyone realises that we aren't going to stay in the EU, the dust is beginning to settle. We're nowhere near a proper process, never mind outcomes, but we'll get there, because there's no alternative now.

Ah, but there is.....

We can still abandon this disaster simply by reversing the decision to trigger Article 50.

And given the way things are going and to stave off any further damage to the economy, that's the only sensible course of action available.



Last edited by Bread2.0 on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:14; edited 1 time in total

247 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:13

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
gloswhite wrote:No XM, I've been looking at an over-arching view, and even with all the kicking and screaming, there's only two outcomes. A no deal, or an acceptable deal. Now that just about everyone realises that we aren't going to stay in the EU, the dust is beginning to settle. We're nowhere near a proper process, never mind outcomes, but we'll get there, because there's no alternative now.

The reason I don't share your optimism is that there is no way that we can walk away with no deal so the two options are a deal acceptable to the brexit loonies or a deal that isn't disastrous for the UK.

I agree that no deal is not in the EU's interest either but the reality is that the brexit extremists like Jacob Rees-Mogg have completely delusional ideas about how the world actually works. May is so weak that she cannot ignore these people and as a consequence she is in a very weak negotiating position.

248 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:21

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
How's this for a scenario:

Stalemate with the negotiations continues, Tory party infighting worsens, May gets ousted, snap GE called in the Spring, hung parliament (again), Labour / SNP/ Lib Dem coalition takes control after campaigning on a 2nd EU Ref ticket, we apologise to Europe, Article 50 gets reversed and we thus avoid the unnecessary economic disaster which would undoubtedly follow if we had carried on with this lunacy.

Or am I just being too hopeful?

249 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:27

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Bread2.0 wrote:
gloswhite wrote:No XM, I've been looking at an over-arching view, and even with all the kicking and screaming, there's only two outcomes. A no deal, or an acceptable deal. Now that just about everyone realises that we aren't going to stay in the EU, the dust is beginning to settle. We're nowhere near a proper process, never mind outcomes, but we'll get there, because there's no alternative now.

Ah, but there is.....

We can still abandon this disaster simply by reversing the decision to trigger Article 50.

And given the way things are going and to stave off any further damage to the economy, that's the only sensible course of action available.
I don't believe there is anything written down about reversing an Article 50 submission, especially as nobody expected one to be put in in the first place. 
As I've said previously, if we , somehow, decide to reverse course, our standing would be so low, and our government, whichever one is in, would be ridiculed for many years to come. I believe the economy will rally, although we may well go through a very bumpy period, but we will come out the other side, (we have no option), able to make our own decisions with regards to whom we deal with, and on what basis. The United Europe road is a cul-de-sac, and will, eventually, play itself out, far sooner than the UK runs out of options.

250 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:30

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:Breaders, agree with all your points, but even though they didn't instigate it, its too big an issue to ignore, for them as well as us. 
I disagree Glos. It's a huge issue for us for sure and we need to resolve it because just as predicted, every day of uncertainty that passes is damaging our economy and credibility. 

But whilst the pound has crumbled, the euro hasn't. Whilst our industries are suffering, theirs aren't and whilst our main sources of income such as Finance are being drained, theirs are getting a boost from the exodus from London. EU countries continue to grow and keep inflation under control. 

Not having agreement is if anything, boosting their economies so why should they rush when there is no incentive for the EU to do anything?

Just because we painted ourselves into a corner doesn't mean they have to rescue us, especially when they are profiting from our self-inflicted demise.

251 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:39

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Bread2.0 wrote:How's this for a scenario:

Stalemate with the negotiations continues, Tory party infighting worsens, May gets ousted, snap GE called in the Spring, hung parliament (again), Labour / SNP/ Lib Dem coalition takes control after campaigning on a 2nd EU Ref ticket, we apologise to Europe, Article 50 gets reversed and we thus avoid the unnecessary economic disaster which would undoubtedly follow if we had carried on with this lunacy.

Or am I just being too hopeful?
Nothing wrong with being hopeful, but  think the chances of all those things happening are vanishingly small.
In particular, Labour / SNP/ Lib Dem coalition takes control. 
They have as much chance as a fart in a storm. Lets not forget that Labour are working on their third string politicians, after everyone else refused to work with Corbyn, they don't have a clear policy on the EU, (well, they have, but it changes every fortnight), and rumours abound about Emily Thornberry becoming party leader. Need I say more ! 
SNP would immediately ignore everyone, and look after themselves, and the Lib Dems have already shown themselves to be out of touch and incompetent. In short, there would be more in-fighting than there is now.
If there is anyone out there thinking , or relying, on this happening, I would suggest they think again, as their straw is about to break.

252 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:42

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Here you go, Glos:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/can-brexit-be-reversed-2017-6

Lord Kerr says we can reverse the decision to leave at any point up to the 2 year deadline from triggering it.

And he should know, he wrote Article 50.

253 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:47

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
wanderlust wrote:


Just because we painted ourselves into a corner doesn't mean they have to rescue us, especially when they are profiting from our self-inflicted demise.
And there we have the crux of the matter. They are not 'rescuing' us. We don't need rescuing. 
We have stated that we want to leave the union, as it no longer does what the majority of the country wants. They are aware that by letting us go freely, and giving us what we want, then other states will also leave, which amounts to quite a condemnation of where they are heading, and how they manage their business.
As for profiting from our situation, of course they are. Look what they did to Greece, when it was on its knees. There's no love lost on either side, and we have to expect some knocks, but giving up just because it might be hard, isn't in our character, I don't believe.

254 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:49

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

255 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:52

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Bread2.0 wrote:Here you go, Glos:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/can-brexit-be-reversed-2017-6

Lord Kerr says we can reverse the decision to leave at any point up to the 2 year deadline from triggering it.

And he should know, he wrote Article 50.
I remember him saying he didn't know how it would pan out, as he didn't think anyone would leave, and he wrote article 50 accordingly.
It also says that Europe are split on whether this can be done. This has never been raised as a serious argument, although other avenues are always being sought.

256 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:54

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Enjoyed these last few exchanges, but got to go now, as I have a massage appointment, and 'yes', it is with a young lady.  Very Happy

257 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:54

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Cheers Boncey - That was the article I was looking for.

Glos - Read the one Boncey's posted, mate.

258 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:55

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
OK, will do when I come back.

259 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 12:55

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:Enjoyed these last few exchanges, but got to go now, as I have a massage appointment, and 'yes', it is with a young lady.  Very Happy
A likely story. Very Happy

260 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 14:23

okocha

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Well, this has made my mind up:


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41733429

261 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 15:46

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Bread2.0 wrote:How's this for a scenario:

Stalemate with the negotiations continues, Tory party infighting worsens, May gets ousted, snap GE called in the Spring, hung parliament (again), Labour / SNP/ Lib Dem coalition takes control after campaigning on a 2nd EU Ref ticket, we apologise to Europe, Article 50 gets reversed and we thus avoid the unnecessary economic disaster which would undoubtedly follow if we had carried on with this lunacy.

Or am I just being too hopeful?
YES!!!!!!!!!

I can certainly see the Tory party infighting getting much worse due to May's weakness.  If she was ousted a lot would then depend on who was the new Tory leader.  They couldn't go for some unknown at that stage, it would have to be a personality who could come out fighting.  I know he is loved and hated  ( especially in his own party) but could Boris get his bus out and pull off another hung parliament( Tory/DUP coalition) and the Brexiteers would march on.

262 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 16:33

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.

263 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 17:06

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:How's this for a scenario:

Stalemate with the negotiations continues, Tory party infighting worsens, May gets ousted, snap GE called in the Spring, hung parliament (again), Labour / SNP/ Lib Dem coalition takes control after campaigning on a 2nd EU Ref ticket, we apologise to Europe, Article 50 gets reversed and we thus avoid the unnecessary economic disaster which would undoubtedly follow if we had carried on with this lunacy.


I'm sick of you posting your sexual fantasies on here.

264 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 17:07

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
This guy is nothing more than an arrogant, upper class, prick. He was probably given the job of writing Article 50 to keep him busy, and out of the way. 
He says that the British are stupid ! Its breathtaking how he sits in his ivory tower and denounces the very country he is supposed to be representing, even though he's lived high off the hog, at our expense. If you think he's a good representative of the remain voters, you've got it very wrong.

Also, have you noticed a subtle swing, as shown in some of the links attached, that the mood is definitely changing, with Tusk talking of 'defeat', and the German MEP saying its about time they got their act together. Still a long way to go, but the cracks, for them, are starting to show.

265 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 17:27

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
xmiles wrote:I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.
They could be, after all the Labour party voted for CORBYN.

266 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 17:58

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.
They could be, after all the Labour party voted for CORBYN.

And much to my surprise he did very well in the general election. However I would be very surprised if Boris achieved the same result for the Tories.

267 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 18:56

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
xmiles wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.
They could be, after all the Labour party voted for CORBYN.

And much to my surprise he did very well in the general election. However I would be very surprised if Boris achieved the same result for the Tories.
He lost, where have you been?

268 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 18:59

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.
They could be, after all the Labour party voted for CORBYN.

And much to my surprise he did very well in the general election. However I would be very surprised if Boris achieved the same result for the Tories.
He lost, where have you been?

Corbyn and Labour did much better than most people expected.

269 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 19:00

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Seems like the Tories want to keep track of people who might question brexit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41735839

270 Re: Brexit negotiations on Tue Oct 24 2017, 23:08

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
xmiles wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:
xmiles wrote:I would actually like to see Boris replace May because of the damage it would do to the Tory party. Even better would be Jacob Rees-Mogg but surely not even the Tories would be that daft.
They could be, after all the Labour party voted for CORBYN.

And much to my surprise he did very well in the general election. However I would be very surprised if Boris achieved the same result for the Tories.
He lost, where have you been?

Corbyn and Labour did much better than most people expected.
XM, you could have done as well as Corbyn and his cronies, if you have promised everyone everything. (one in particular of which he has already reneged).

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum