Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sat Sep 16 2017, 21:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers were left ruing missed opportunities as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat against Ipswich Town on Saturday.

Despite creating several clear-cut opportunities the Whites left Portman Road empty handed thanks to second-half goals from Cole Skuse and David McGoldrick.

Speaking to bwfc.co.uk following the final whistle, manager Phil Parkinson covered the following points...

On his side’s performance…

I thought the performance levels were good today. We’ve created more today than we have any other game during the season.

We had a really good control of the game in that midfield department, but as everybody knows the games are won and lost in both boxes.

With our 17 attempts we’ve only hit the target three times. That ratio needs to be better, our energy levels were there and so was our determination to get a result, but we’re hugely disappointed not to get anything from the game.

On his sides form…

I feel for the lads as I do for the rest of the staff and the supporters because the players have given everything today.

They have had a shot that was going straight into Ben’s (Alnwick) hands and it takes a huge deflection and finds the back of the net.

We have to keep working hard as a team. We have to earn that little bit of luck, it isn’t going to just happen and if we keep playing in the manner we have the past two games then something will fall for us.

On turning around the Club’s recent fortunes…

I really do believe this squad of players are good enough to win games and once we win one I think we’ll have the ability to go on a good run.

The squad we have now is a lot stronger than we had when we were last in this division with the cover we have in positions and I do believe that we’ll win games, it’s just frustrating that we haven’t.

On the performance of Craig Noone…

I thought Noone’s performance was top-class today.

He had three or four good opportunities today, but his craft and footballing intelligence was a real bonus for us and I was very pleased with his performance.

On his ability to now use the whole squad…

It’s going to important for us and will be a benefit for us Tuesday. We have to give some lads a breather and some of our lads need a game. It’ll be great for the young players to come in now and try to impress.

And finally, on Tuesday’s Carabao Cup fixture vs West Ham United…

It’s going to be about giving the players game time that need it that’s going to be very important for us.

We did well to beat Sheffield Wednesday to get to play on this stage at the Olympic Park and we will go down there and enjoy it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sat Sep 16 2017, 21:53

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Fuck off you clown, yes maybe the squad is stronger than the last one that went down, yet Parkinson is as clueless as Lennon was, one style of play and when that doesn't work we're screwed, just fuck off Parkinson.

3What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 00:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

MartinBWFC wrote:Fuck off you clown, yes maybe the squad is stronger than the last one that went down, yet Parkinson is as clueless as Lennon was, one style of play and when that doesn't work we're screwed, just fuck off Parkinson.

For what it is worth I think Parkinson has been the victim of circumstances.

Clearly the squad is not balanced - too many right wingers and no defensive midfield.

I think the harsher embargo limiting wages to £4,500 per week, took everyone by surprise and that intended transfers lined up to be done immediately fell through - Spearing probably being one of them.

Maybe we'd still be bottom with Spearing if we had intended to sign him (and others) but at least the side would be better balanced to go forward with.

I guess the likes of O'Brien and Baptista will be joining us soon and perhaps the centre midfield can be patched up and we can keep in touch until the January window.

If we sack Parkinson or not, it won't improve our squad - and its that more than anything else is the root of the problem.

4What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 14:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:Fuck off you clown, yes maybe the squad is stronger than the last one that went down, yet Parkinson is as clueless as Lennon was, one style of play and when that doesn't work we're screwed, just fuck off Parkinson.

For what it is worth I think Parkinson has been the victim of circumstances.

Clearly the squad is not balanced - too many right wingers and no defensive midfield.

I think the harsher embargo limiting wages to £4,500 per week, took everyone by surprise and that intended transfers lined up to be done immediately fell through - Spearing probably being one of them.

Maybe we'd still be bottom with Spearing if we had intended to sign him (and others) but at least the side would be better balanced to go forward with.

I guess the likes of O'Brien and Baptista will be joining us soon and perhaps the centre midfield can be patched up and we can keep in touch until the January window.

If we sack Parkinson or not, it won't improve our squad - and its that more than anything else is the root of the problem.

Under the circumstances I thought Parky did the right thing against Ipswich but just needed to tweak it a bit to get anything from the game although his comments were a bit PR. 
Yes we did have 17 attempts but only 2 were clear cut opportunities that we perhaps should have scored from if we had a bit more quality and/or luck. Most of our efforts were from isolated forwards who had no option but to shoot speculatively from distance.
Their first goal was a lucky deflection and their second was quality at the death when he was forced to abandon the defensive shape to go in search of an equaliser, but for most of the game he managed to nullify a decent Ipswich attack.
In our situation, I really don't mind if he parks the bus in tricky away games but they aren't the games that will decide whether we survive or not.
Brentford will be far more telling as he'll have to set up to get goals.

5What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 14:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:For what it is worth I think Parkinson has been the victim of circumstances.

Not sure he is a victim of circumstance - he signed all the right wingers. No one had a gun to his head.

We were/are absolutely crying out for a defensive midfielder with leadership qualities - but Parky decided to sign Ameobi and Noone. Madness.

6What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 14:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:For what it is worth I think Parkinson has been the victim of circumstances.

Not sure he is a victim of circumstance - he signed all the right wingers. No one had a gun to his head.

We were/are absolutely crying out for a defensive midfielder with leadership qualities - but Parky decided to sign Ameobi and Noone. Madness.

I think the intention was sign a defensive midfielder (and perhaps others) as well as Ameobi and Noone but the sudden introduction of the harsher plan put an instant stop to that.

I've said previous how I couldn't fathom why if we were going to play wingbacks why we need all these wingers too - my only thought was that he was more likely to play a back four more often and thus it made more sense - particularly if the plan revolved around the non attacking Darby being an intended regular at right back hence a need for right wingers to be available throughout the season to cover injury's and loss of form.

I think we will sign reinforcements but I doubt we have anything like the money Ledley and other 'top' players would want - don't forget they already have millions in the bank so don't need to come to a struggling team for wages if they don't want to.

7What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 14:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

That's true but I can understand his thinking. Last season we had an excellent central defence which he could rightly have assumed would be fine for the Championship. He brought in two young promising FBs. All good so far but he couldn't afford Spearing and he also had the problem of finding talent to unlock defences without being able to pay a transfer fee or high wages so it was a very small pond that he was fishing in and it seems like he had to take what was available within those parameters, hence the wingers. Where I thought he went wrong was that in assuming that he had cover for Spearing in Karacan and Derik - but whilst Karacan is a neat and tidy player who seldom gives away possession, he's no ball winner and Derik is injured or out of favour a lot. 
I'm not ready to start baying for his resignation just yet but he is going to have to start turning things around soon, starting with Brentford.

8What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Ipswich Sun Sep 17 2017, 16:03

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Better then all the wrong ones

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum