Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ben Alnwick hails coach Lee Butler as 'one of the best I've ever worked with'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ben Alnwick reckons Wanderers’ goalkeepers are in safe hands… well, almost.

Competition is fierce for the number one shirt at the Macron, Alnwick currently nudging ahead of Mark Howard and highly-rated youngster Jake Turner in the pecking order.

But behind the trio is ex-Barnsley, Aston Villa and Wigan Athletic keeper Lee Butler – a well-respected coach whose firm grip is the stuff of legend.

“I think he’s got the strongest handshake in the history of the world,” said Alnwick. “He can do some serious damage. It’s better to give him a high five, or something.

“But he’s definitely one of the best goalkeeping coaches I’ve had.

“He works you very hard every day but you have a good laugh with him as well, he’s a good lad. I enjoy every day and if you’ve got that with a coach then you’ve won half the battle.”

Butler arrived in the summer of 2016 from Bradford City alongside Phil Parkinson, Steve Parkin, Matt Barrass and Nick Allamby and is a regular face on the Wanderers bench.

Alnwick says the Yorkshireman has been instrumental in keeping the goalkeeping spot competitive between himself and Howard over the last 18 months.

“You hear at other clubs, I’ve spoke with mates of mine, goalkeeping coaches get changed and they dread going into training,” he said.

“It makes me realise how good I’ve got it to be working with Lee. He’s played a lot of games, knows all the different scenarios, knows what to say if you’ve not had such a good game. He’s been there himself and can talk it through.”

Alnwick has made some important saves in recent games against Fulham and Norwich to preserve Wanderers’ undefeated run but is still looking for his first clean sheet of the campaign.

“After I’d hurt my neck at Ipswich I probably shouldn’t have played against Brentford,” said the former Tottenham and Peterborough man. “As soon as I got fit the gaffer pulled me into the office and said I was going back in the team. That really raised my confidence, made you feel that bit taller.

“I have just got to keep ticking along. I’m not happy letting three in at Sunderland but on a personal note I’m happy with what I’m doing.”

The Wanderers keeper is setting no targets, other than to try and ensure the club is playing Championship football next season.

“I used to look and pick fixtures out – try and work out where we’d pick up points - and before Brentford I had it in my head we’d go on a run. It never works out the way you think it will.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum