Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Huddersfield

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Parkinson Thought - Huddersfield Empty What Parkinson Thought - Huddersfield Sun Jan 07 2018, 14:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers exited the Emirates FA Cup at the third round stage despite a spirited display against Huddersfield Town at Macron Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Terriers had snatched a two-goal lead inside a matter of minutes at the start of the second half, and although Derik Osede halved the deficit with his second Bolton goal, the Yorkshire outfit held out to progress come the full time whistle.

And speaking following the final whistle, manager Phil Parkinson covered these points...

On his side's unfortunate exit from the competition...

I thought we deserved more. At half time, we came in having had the best chance to open the scoring and in the second half, apart from two minutes when they've scored both their goals, I thought we acquitted ourselves very well.

Their first goal was a scrappy one from a set play but the second one should never have stood.

If our supporters get chance to see the tackle on David Wheater which led to the goal, it is beyond belief how the referee hasn't given a free-kick for the challenge.

He's right on the spot and can see it - it's the kind of tackle that could have ended in a serious injury for David.

More importantly, the goal should have stood. After that though, we got back in the game and responded well and looked likely to force a replay.

Unfortunately though, we weren't able to do that.

On putting in an impressive performance against top-flight opposition...

With the changes we've had to make and the disruption we've had this week with the loan players and injuries to key players, I thought the lads who came in did really well.

Huddersfield are a very good side and they're having a great season in the Premier League, so we have to be pleased with the way we looked in that company, although we would have loved to have got through.

On the team's strength in depth shining through...

We spoke over Christmas about how switching things up and making changes in the team really lifted the group and the lads who came in today like Derik, who hasn't played for a long time but managed to get a goal, I thought he did a great job.

Alfie had a game at Sheffield United and of course, Alby has played a lot of games from the bench. He'll be disappointed with the header he missed, but equally I thought he put in a real shift for the team today and did a lot of good things.

On Derik notching his second of the season...

It was a very good finish from Derik and a great set-play from Fil who we know has that ability to pick people out.

He did it time and time again last year and having that quality set-play delivery is very important.

And finally, on turning our focus back to league football...

We've got a good week now to build up to Brentford away.

We can hopefully get the loan players we've been missing today back with us which will be key, look at the injuries we've got and make sure that we've got a good number of players to choose from next weekend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum