You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » The World Cup 2018 » The World Cup 2018 » VAR

VAR

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 VAR on Tue Jun 26 2018, 08:21

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I like it but unfortunately there is still the problem of bad refereeing. 
All the controversy seems to be about the refs rather than the system, either because they fail to refer a decision to VAR in the first place e.g. Kane getting wrestled v Tunisia or refs not giving a decision even though VAR makes it bleedin' obvious e.g.  Pique not getting sent off for the two footed challenge on the Moroccan yesterday.

I just hope they keep awarding penalties for cheating on corners etc because the game will get more goals and maybe eventually defenders will stop wrapping their arms around players so there will be more movement and competitiveness. And I hope the refs finally get the bottle to use it properly or it evolves so that the VAR room can interject when the ref misses an angle.

Early days for the system but it seems to be going in the right direction i.e. eliminating cheating, arguing with the ref etc as they have done in rugby which is a much better watch as a result.

2 Re: VAR on Tue Jun 26 2018, 10:08

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I agree it is the way ahead but I am still amazed at some of the decisions and non-decisions given so far. It will never be perfect but the wrestling of Kane and others in the Tunisia game was so obvious you have to wonder why it was not apparently seen.

3 Re: VAR on Tue Jun 26 2018, 10:34

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
VAR is a farce, it spoils the game for me. After virtually every England goal I didn't celebrate as I normally would because I knew a VAR review was coming.

Give each team one VAR review per game and leave it at that.

4 Re: VAR on Wed Jun 27 2018, 16:57

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Well,Germany are out. Not really surprised,they've been shocking. But how the hell did Leroy Sane fail to make the squad?
No problems with VAR at least.

5 Re: VAR on Wed Jun 27 2018, 17:05

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If only we'd had it when Maradona cheated us - and football.

6 Re: VAR on Wed Jun 27 2018, 17:16

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Given some of the decisions given and not given I'm not sure his "goal" would have been disallowed even with VAR.

7 Re: VAR on Wed Jun 27 2018, 18:25

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
xmiles wrote:Given some of the decisions given and not given I'm not sure his "goal" would have been disallowed even with VAR.
That and Thierry Henry's handball would have both been disallowed changing the history of football forever. Mind you, so would Geoff Hurst's in '66.

8 Re: VAR on Wed Jun 27 2018, 20:55

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I quite like VAR but as Nat said, you do think twice about properly celebrating a goal

9 Re: VAR on Thu Jun 28 2018, 11:54

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Boggersbelief wrote:I quite like VAR but as Nat said, you do think twice about properly celebrating a goal
I find it even more exciting as there's the additional tension of the review, watching the culprits shitting themselves, examining the evidence for ourselves, the sense of justice being served (providing the ref doesn't f*** it up despite having all the evidence) and then the celebrations when the (correct) decision is finally made. 
VAR didn't stop the Koreans going apeshit when their goal against Germany was approved - a correct goal that would never have been awarded without VAR. Imagine what would have happened if there had been VAR when Everton survived at our expense due to a disallowed goal? We might be Champions of Europe by now.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum