Bolton Nuts » The World Cup 2018 » The World Cup 2018 » Columbia v England

Columbia v England

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 Columbia v England on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:56 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I watched the Two Escobars last night - an amazing scene-setter for the upcoming game. How Columbia have managed to save their domestic game and national team after what happened is nothing short of incredible - and how anyone would have wanted to play football after the death threats, assassinations and drug cartel control of the clubs even more so.
Andres Escobar was assassinated for scoring an own goal FFS!

No other team in the world knows pressure like it and it has to be said that their players must have enormous cajones to even consider risking their own and their families' lives over 22 blokes hoofing a bladder round a field.

Theoretically we should win, but there is no doubt that the Columbian players will be pulling their tripe out to get one over on England.

2 Re: Columbia v England on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
If we turn up we will batter these. Their top man (Rodriguez) isn’t fully fit either which is a bonus.

3-0 England

3 Re: Columbia v England on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
England 0-2 Columbia

The resting of players will come back to haunt Southgate.

4 Re: Columbia v England on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:42 am

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'm expecting a close match which could go either way but to win the tie England will have to find top form. Bit worried if Ashley Young is selected to mark Cuadrado and also whether Kane and Sterling can get the better of Mina and Sanchez who may be young but are very big, strong, quick and talented.
This may go to penalties but I'm hoping for England to win by the odd goal in 3.

5 Re: Columbia v England on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:20 pm

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Seeing an early goal, 2 up at half time, game finishes 3-0 after Columbia try all out attack and we hit them on the break.  2 goals for Kane

6 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 am

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Today's the day and England has to stand up and be counted. Any nerviness in the performance will work heavily in Columbia's favour so BTID's dream early goal would be fabulous.
Even if Columbia get an early goal it will eradicate any complacency. What we don't want is for the scores to be tied with little time left because with England's WC luck there's only one way that will end.
I'll be in the pub from 6. It's going to be emotional.

7 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:28 am

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We will get dicked.

8 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am

Norpig

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sterling will end his goal drought and score the winner 

9 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:53 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Right it's pub time. 

I guess this is where England shit or get off the pan.

10 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 pm

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay

11 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I'm going for a 2-1 England win.

12 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
HERE WE GOO

13 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
What a kick in the nuts that was. If we go to pens I've a feeling we'll be ok.

14 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:21 pm

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Leeds_Trotter wrote:What a kick in the nuts that was. If we go to pens I've a feeling we'll be ok.

Yes,we've got a great record in that department. Surprised

15 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
We won a penalty shootout! Oh my God! Am I actually awake? WOW! Very Happy Laughing

16 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 pm

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I had Colombia in the sweep. English bastards!

17 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
boltonbonce wrote:I had Colombia in the sweep. English bastards!
I lost a point in the prediction comp and I don't care! Wa-hoo!

18 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I'm in shreds.

19 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Wendy's still in the sweep. I'm NEVER going to hear the end of this if we actually win. Very Happy cheers

20 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:09 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I just realised we DON'T have to face Germany no matter how far we get! This really could be our year!

21 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 pm

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fantastic feeling but the players need to step it up against Sweden. Although I do feel that those cheating/Dirty Colombian bastards put us off our stride perfectly.

22 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:28 pm

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hope the Colombian players stay safe. One was murdered not so many years ago for a bad back pass during the WC finals.
One has been threatened during these finals too. Scary times for those boys.

23 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Sluffy

Admin
boltonbonce wrote:Hope the Colombian players stay safe. One was murdered not so many years ago for a bad back pass during the WC finals.
One has been threatened during these finals too. Scary times for those boys.

Obviously we all hope such inhumanity doesn't happen again but looking positively, nothing happened to the Columbian players who got knocked out at the last World Cup.

As for the match is there only me that believes Kane was the one who committed the first foul in the lead up to the penalty? If you watch the England players line up for the corner in that queue of four players in a line, with the Colombian defender squeezed in, in front of Kane, the first move anyone did was Kane putting his arm behind the back of the defender then yanking him forward to put the defender off balance, which he never really recovered from in trying then to get the half yard back on Kane's run.

If I were on VAR duty I would have given a foul against England,

Good job I wasn't then!

24 Re: Columbia v England on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I couldn't face the penalty shoot out, I went for a walk instead.Very happy for Southgate it would have been a poor world cup if we'd lost that.His decision to rest players against Belgium has been vindicated.
Unfortunately we've not got a world cup winning side but i think we should get past Sweden if we havent lost Young and Kane to injuries

25 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 am

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I didn't know Trippier was a Bury lad!

26 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:10 am

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fook me, that was bloody tense. Chuffed to have won, but against decent opposition we would have been comfortably beaten.

I thought we were bloody shite, almost Bolton-esque at times. I have no idea why Alli is in the team, he brings absolutely nothing. Ditto Stirling, and Lingard was also anonymous.

And the substitutions were just a nonsense. The game was crying out for someone to hold the ball in attack alongside Kane, Rashford the obvious choice, but he decided to bring on another defensive midfielder (Dier) and just invite pressure. For all the big talk about Southgate, turns out he's no different than previous England managers, way too cautious. If we go into the Sweden game with the same mentality we won't get lucky twice.

I disagree with Growler, I think resting the players was at least partially responsible for the poor performance. Momentum is everything in tournament football and we had none. Considering most of them hadn't played for over a week they looked bloody tired.

27 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I worry about our lack of goals through open play. We should know as Bolton fans, it's never a good thing.

28 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:19 am

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:

As for the match is there only me that believes Kane was the one who committed the first foul in the lead up to the penalty?  If you watch the England players line up for the corner in that queue of four players in a line, with the Colombian defender squeezed in, in front of Kane, the first move anyone did was Kane putting his arm behind the back of the defender then yanking him forward to put the defender off balance, which he never really recovered from in trying then to get the half yard back on Kane's run.

If I were on VAR duty I would have given a foul against England,

Good job I wasn't then!

I saw it too but I think the ref and VAR team were looking at the persistent holding and blocking in the box and were focussed on that - almost as if FIFA is on a mission to eradicate it in order to get more goals and enhance the value of corners and free kicks. There were plenty of decisions that could have gone either way TBH.

Of greater concern was England's failure to create clear cut chances going forward and Southgate's reluctance to change things around in response. Alli was a passenger and couldn't compete so physically so he should have been subbed much earlier - it just wasn't his kind of game. Strikers had no decent service to work with and the two young Columbian CBs were immense so we needed some real quality going forward and didn't get it. 
Despite not clearing the header from which they scored, Trippier was MOTM by a street IMO.

Sweden will be a different kettle of fish - perhaps more suited for England's style - but equally Sweden will surely fancy their chances on Saturday.

That said, we scraped through a game we could very easily have lost and in doing so have got as far as anyone could have reasonably expected with this team, so job done already IMO even though there is still plenty of room for improvement. 

Don't know what it was like where you watched the game, but my local was packed out and the place went apeshit.

29 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am

rammywhite

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Growler wrote:I didn't know Trippier was a Bury lad!

Yep- his family live about 100 yards down the road from me!!

30 Re: Columbia v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:56 am

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
rammywhite wrote:
Growler wrote:I didn't know Trippier was a Bury lad!

Yep- his family live about 100 yards down the road from me!!
 Summerseat according to Wiki,  i remember playing cricket at Brooksbottom a very long time ago!Think thats the club where they have a Boxing Day match

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum