Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tour de France 2018

+7
wanderlust
Growler
boltonbonce
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
rammywhite
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 14:09

Travelodge

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Hey, Sluffy!

Remember when I predicted that Thomas had the chops to become a GC rider a couple of years ago and you laughed at me and posted about 5000 words explaining why you were right and I was wrong?

Well who's wearing the maillot jaune aujord'hui?

32Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 14:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Travelodge wrote:Hey, Sluffy!

Remember when I predicted that Thomas had the chops to become a GC rider a couple of years ago and you laughed at me and posted about 5000 words explaining why you were right and I was wrong?

Wait for it.........
Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Giphy

33Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 14:44

Travelodge

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Very Happy

I really shouldn't poke him, should I?

But it's fun....

Hope you're well. The email's the same if you fancy a chat cos I'm not hanging round here.

34Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 14:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Travelodge wrote:Very Happy

I really shouldn't poke him, should I?

But it's fun....

Hope you're well. The email's the same if you fancy a chat cos I'm not hanging round here.
I've been spending a great deal of time in the chilled section at Sainsbury's in recent days,due mainly to it being cheaper than getting air conditioning, but I've had very little going on in my sad excuse for a life.
I've somehow managed to reach the ripe old age of 65 though,which is quite a feat,given my record.
I'm doing a great deal of walking. Sometimes four or five hours a day,although it usually depends on when the cops bring me home.
I'll rummage through my in box and see if I can remember how emails work. Since I've retired and unsubscribed from what seems like the world and his wife,it's a pretty empty place.
Nice to see you on here though. Nat's thrown a wobbly and disappeared,but I bet she'll be back.

35Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 15:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Travelodge wrote:Hey, Sluffy!

No I don't if I'm being honest when was that?

Thomas himself only believed he would be a GC contender from the 2016 season and even then only in the Giro or Vuelta.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/future-holds-geraint-thomas-132279

He's been Sky's GC in in the last couple of seasons without great success (although not always down to him - a policeman caused him to fall off his bike and injure himself at the Giro once!).

He's also perceived to have a weakness (which he admits to himself) in racing at the very highest peaks - this from yesterday -

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/geraint-thomas-attacked-earlier-didnt-want-risk-anything-388109

He's without doubt the best rider in the Tour to date and hopefully will now win baring an accident or injury but luck as also played a part (just like it did with Wiggins) about being in the right place at the right time - namely being 'groomed' specifically for this race because of the very real doubts that Froome would not be allowed to ride because of salbutamol inhaler business, and also with Froome and key domestics like Poels riding the Giro just 5 weeks earlier (nobody as won back to back Giro and TdF in recent years).

His luck also held at the very beginning of this Tour too when he was more or less the only GC rider who didn't fall and lose time on the first stage and who was also part of a very strong Team Time Trailing squad for stage three - and thus put him out front of all the other GC riders without doing anything other than not fall off his bike!

If Froome had also not fallen and been on similar time with Thomas, there would be no doubt that it would have been Thomas burying himself as a domestic for Froome as per usual and not having the free role he's had because of it.

I do hope Thomas does win, I have nothing against him and at 32 he doesn't have many chances to win a further TdF if Froome targets them again (instead of collecting more Giro and Vuelta's).

Nice to see you're as obsessive compulsive as always and felt the need to tell the world - well Nuts anyway - that you were right and somebody else was wrong (although I don't believe I was as I would only have been saying what the facts of the matter were at that time).

No doubt you are out there somewhere telling countless other people that they are wrong about voting for Brexit, Trump or voting Conservative and no doubt countless other stuff - in that charming, totally unabusive way that you have(!) - and no doubt we will here from you again the next time you want to tell me you 'told me so' over something said in general conversation on an internet footy forum from a few years back.

36Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 15:14

Travelodge

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

See...?

Told you so.

37Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 15:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Travelodge wrote:See...?

Told you so.

Can't help yourself can you - you have to be right all the time, even when it means fuck all to everyone else but you.

Obsessive behaviour.

38Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 15:56

Travelodge

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

And again....see?

39Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 16:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Motivation is the key.
Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Bear-bike-funny-lol-Favim.com-2647342

40Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 16:30

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Travelodge wrote:And again....see?

I thought you said you weren’t hanging round here? Laughing

41Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Thu Jul 26 2018, 16:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Nice to see him back though KP. The false beard fooled no one though.

Certainly not where he was wearing it.

42Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Fri Jul 27 2018, 11:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Si - vete a la mierda Dave! Ese es mi trabajo. Ve y construye un bote o algo....Smile

43Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Fri Jul 27 2018, 14:32

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the words of Magoo. Oy bread, stop being a pussy and come back

44Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Fri Jul 27 2018, 14:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:In the words of Magoo. Oy bread, stop being a pussy and come back
Too right Boggers. Anyone who can start a 'farts in the bath' thread,needs to be heard.

Although not in a bubble blowing way.

45Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Fri Jul 27 2018, 17:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:In the words of Magoo. Oy bread, stop being a pussy and come back
Too right Boggers. Anyone who can start a 'farts in the bath' thread,needs to be heard.

Although not in a bubble blowing way.

Laughing

46Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Mon Jul 30 2018, 07:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 GettyImages-1007347622-copy

Deserved win by Thomas, clearly the best rider in the Tour.

Fair play to Froome battling back to reclaim third spot from Roglic, I didn't think he would.

Not a classic Tour to remember really though.

47Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Mon Jul 30 2018, 09:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As you know Sluffy,I'm not a fan of the sport,so I don't have the right to judge if this was a classic,or not,but,from what I can see,this win has been achieved by sheer hard work,and a passion for the sport.
No TUE's,and no drug cloud on the horizon.
If Thomas can start to put a little polish on what has become a badly tarnished sport,then I think,classic or not,he'll have done a sterling job.
Well done to him.

48Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Mon Jul 30 2018, 09:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:As you know Sluffy,I'm not a fan of the sport,so I don't have the right to judge if this was a classic,or not,but,from what I can see,this win has been achieved by sheer hard work,and a passion for the sport.
No TUE's,and no drug cloud on the horizon.
If Thomas can start to put a little polish on what has become a badly tarnished sport,then I think,classic or not,he'll have done a sterling job.
Well done to him.

I guess it is all about perception really.

If people are drawn into the sport because of Thomas's win then that is a good thing for everybody and greatly welcomed.

Fwiw I've never though either Wiggins or Froome have ever been drug cheats.

If you did though, then you would have to wonder if Thomas is too because he's been with Brailsford (GB cycling then Sky Team supremo) from the very beginning and won two Olympic golds with Wiggins and has been with Team Sky right from the start, even before they signed Chris Froome.

So if people believe Wiggins and Froome are somehow tainted, I can't see why they wouldn't think that Thomas must be similarly tainted also?

I tend to think there is sort of an anti-Anderson analogy here, in that people (including yourself) have doubts about Anderson, then everything Anderson does must be doubtful - and similarly people have doubts about the integrity of cycling, then everything about cycling must be doubtful also.

If Thomas win helps break that sort of thinking for people, then that may very well become a watershed moment for the sport.

Let's hope so anyway because it really is a great sport to follow if people would only give it a chance.

49Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Mon Jul 30 2018, 09:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree about Froome and Wiggins. There have been a few odd things happening ,but certainly no smoking gun.
I'm not even against TUE's,if they're needed. Being asthmatic shouldn't mean you're barred from top level sport.
And for the record,I'm not anti Anderson,but,for obvious reasons,I tend to wear my 'concerned' hat.
We're in a better place than we were,so fair play to him for that.

50Tour de France 2018 - Page 3 Empty Re: Tour de France 2018 Mon Jul 30 2018, 10:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:I agree about Froome and Wiggins. There have been a few odd things happening ,but certainly no smoking gun.
I'm not even against TUE's,if they're needed. Being asthmatic shouldn't mean you're barred from top level sport.
And for the record,I'm not anti Anderson,but,for obvious reasons,I tend to wear my 'concerned' hat.
We're in a better place than we were,so fair play to him for that.

Just for clarity, I was saying that you had 'doubts' about Anderson, not that you were actually anti-Anderson.

As for TUE's, I've no doubt they have been used to gain unfair advantage BUT have stayed just the right side of the rules to do so.  Pushing the envelope no doubt but all professional teams in all sports do that.

I don't think it is still allowed but what used to happen in football was that home clubs used to reduce the width of the pitch when playing against teams who liked to spread the ball wide - unethical and unsportsman like - probably, against the rules at the time - certainly not!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum