Bolton Nuts » The World Cup 2018 » The World Cup 2018 » Sweden v England

Sweden v England

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Sweden v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hard to imagine, but it's the quarter final of the World Cup and England have a very winnable game in just 3 days time! 
Wow.
I mean WOW!
Could there be a greater incentive for the players? I don't think so.
If England can find that final third creativity that was largely missing against Columbia and make inroads into Sweden's very solid 4 4 2 we could stroll it.
If we don't it's another lottery.
Conversely if Sweden can put in the kind of performance they did when they eliminated Italy in the qualifiers and pumped the not-too-shoddy Mexico in the group stage we could be in trouble.
My money's on England doing the business and winning 2 nil in the 90 minutes. But they'll have to up their game to do so.

2 Re: Sweden v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Sluffy

Admin
Sweden seem to be a typical hard working, disciplined team that certainly won't be a 'very winnable' game for us - have some people forgotten us playing Iceland not so long back - that 'very winnable' game didn't go too well for us did it?

Sweden seem to play the typical 'English game' of 4-4-2, so we should not be surprised at what sort of tactics we will be facing from them.

I do worry though how our 'all action' strategy will hold up in Samara, where the weather forecast seems to be suggesting near 30C at kick-off, I thought we tired badly as a whole in the Colombian match.  I'm sure the Swedes won't be running around at 100mph during the match.

I can actually see this game being a great deal tighter than people expect.

If Southgate allows for the weather instead of going all out from the gun we should win, if not, it might not be coming home even though we all do want it too!

3 Re: Sweden v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 pm

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
It’s coming home

4 Re: Sweden v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Reebok Trotter

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
On paper we have the much better team but the knockout stages always result in a few surprises. I think the win on penalties was a massive morale booster and we should go into the Sweden game with nothing to fear. We should beat the Swedes but I don't think it's a gimme.

5 Re: Sweden v England on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Tough game, it will be a close score. 2-1 England. Don’t think they’ll be as dirty and desperate as Colombia were though

6 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We have to remember that the Swedes usually beat us - we've won just one in the last eight meetings. Their defence is superb with Mexico, Korea and Switzerland all failing to score against them.
Only Germany managed to turn them over and that took a piece of genius from Tony Kroos in the dying seconds. The Swedes are so well organised that England will not only have to be diligent at the back, but also produce some real quality and class to open them up so for me the key to the match will be in England's hands - they will have to step up another gear or two.

We don't want a repeat of what happened when Norway turned us over...

7 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Sluffy

Admin
wanderlust wrote:We have to remember that the Swedes usually beat us - we've won just one in the last eight meetings. Their defence is superb with Mexico, Korea and Switzerland all failing to score against them.
Only Germany managed to turn them over and that took a piece of genius from Tony Kroos in the dying seconds. The Swedes are so well organised that England will not only have to be diligent at the back, but also produce some real quality and class to open them up so for me the key to the match will be in England's hands - they will have to step up another gear or two.

Somebodies suddenly changed their tune then since starting this thread!

wanderlust wrote:England have a very winnable game in just 3 days time!
Wow.
I mean WOW!

Very Happy

8 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:11 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:We have to remember that the Swedes usually beat us - we've won just one in the last eight meetings. Their defence is superb with Mexico, Korea and Switzerland all failing to score against them.

Wow.
I mean WOW!

Very Happy
You forgot the bit about England having to up their game to do it, still if a bit of selective editing and dumbing down helps you create an issue where there isn't one, go for it.

9 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Sluffy

Admin
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Wow.
I mean WOW!

Very Happy
You forgot the bit about England having to up their game to do it, still if a bit of selective editing and dumbing down helps you create an issue where there isn't one, go for it.

It isn't me that went from 'easy win' to 'really difficult game for us' with 24 hours!!!

Razz

10 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 pm

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
It is a winnable game, but it won’t be easy

11 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:It isn't me that went from 'easy win' to 'really difficult game for us' with 24 hours!!!

Razz

He didn't say it would be easy, he said it was winnable. Big difference.

Our first home game against Bristol City is winnable but far from easy.

You need to stop your bullery of certain members of the forum.

12 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Hardworking, well organised Nordic teams get so far until they meet a quality team with better players who outclass them.This will hopefully be England.The bookies think it will be, England are the shortest price of the 8 teams to win their quarter final match.

13 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Sluffy

Admin
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:It isn't me that went from 'easy win' to 'really difficult game for us' with 24 hours!!!

Razz

He didn't say it would be easy, he said it was winnable. Big difference.

Our first home game against Bristol City is winnable but far from easy.

You need to stop your bullery of certain members of the forum.

He said we had "a very winnable game".

Now he's saying" the Swede's usually beat us", "we've won just one in the last eight meetings",  "their defence is superb", that England need to "produce some real quality and class to open them up", England will have to "step up another gear or two (to win)"...

Does that really sound like "a very winnable game" to you because it sure as hell doesn't to me?

If so he's changed his tune in the last 24 hours just like I said.

14 Re: Sweden v England on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:51 pm

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Theoretically it should be winnable....but I am still slightly concerned of our lack of chances produced from open play.  Few shots on goal. Mostly relying on set piece headers which should be defended better by the Swedes..
Apart from that we are playing well overall so it's 60/40 for me on the Game.

15 Re: Sweden v England on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Pat Nevin reckons that Celtic full back Lustig being suspended is a blow for the Swedes hopes of creating chances and "England play against that Swedish team and 99 times out of a hundred, England will beat them."

The former Scotland winger was frustrated by the lack of threat up front from both the Swedes and Swiss.

"Sweden just didn't look good enough," he added. "There just didn't look like there was any sophistication to them or anything different they could do.

"You are looking all around that team and looking for someone that's going to surprise you and there's absolutely no-one."

16 Re: Sweden v England on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The Swedes are very well organised and that along with their physicality is their strength, but the Swedish media are putting England as clear favourites which is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Problem is how can they do that when they usually win against us? I guess it's because our players are predominantly playing at a higher level and include a fair few overpaid ponces, but that's because on their day they can produce.
Question is will they produce something special tomorrow?  They didn't against Columbia so I reckon my comments still stand i.e. if England play to their full potential and as a team they should win - but that kind of quality can't just be turned on and off like a tap.

As for England being the out and out favourites, I don't buy it because playing to the best of their ability isn't guaranteed - and you never know what the game will throw up as regards slices of luck and dubious decisions.

17 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:16 am

Sluffy

Admin
wanderlust wrote:The Swedes are very well organised and that along with their physicality is their strength, but the Swedish media are putting England as clear favourites which is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Problem is how can they do that when they usually win against us? I guess it's because our players are predominantly playing at a higher level and include a fair few overpaid ponces, but that's because on their day they can produce.
Question is will they produce something special tomorrow?  They didn't against Columbia so I reckon my comments still stand i.e. if England play to their full potential and as a team they should win - but that kind of quality can't just be turned on and off like a tap.

As for England being the out and out favourites, I don't buy it because playing to the best of their ability isn't guaranteed - and you never know what the game will throw up as regards slices of luck and dubious decisions.

I doubt many of us our even the England players have been reading the Swedish media!

Only Hypernormalists like you!

And betting odds reflect more the flow of money being placed on specific outcomes, not the actual result of the game - so wouldn't you think in England the odds on us winning would attract more money from the vast number of England fans who are betting - and thus shorten there odds - whilst at the same time lengthen Sweden's because substantially fewer people must be putting their money on them?

I don't know if they have bookies in Sweden but if they have I would think Sweden's odds would be a lot shorter and ours that much longer.

18 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 am

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Lusty’s personal troll strikes again.

19 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:21 am

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I agree, it has gotten way too personal. Damaging an already dying site.

20 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Climb out Nat Very Happy

21 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:36 am

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Hopefully a straightforward victory today, need to ensure we actually play football, run at them and attack

22 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 am

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Hopefully a straightforward victory today, need to ensure we actually play football, run at them and attack

Bloody hell, too much confidence for my liking keep it to yourself before you jinx the nation!

23 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:43 am

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
In all honesty now, I think we will tonk these men 4-0

Last edited by Boggersbelief on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

24 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Climb out Nat Very Happy

There's a lot of room in TROY's fat arse to be fair.

25 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Not with my head already wedged up it.

26 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:26 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Off to the pub now. Build up begins here.
Gawd I hope we win.

27 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 pm

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
We are through to the World Cup semi final!

28 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:11 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Great performance, right result and even more encouraging a goal from open play. I was a bit worried that we didn't finish as well as we should but in truth I thought we were much the better side and that if we play like that against either Russia or Croatia then we'll be fine.

But does anyone else think this is the most 'upside down' World Cup in years? I mean look at all the teams who've gone out when they were meant to be real contenders if not outright favourites. For my money Belgium have so far proven to be the best team in the competition and if we meet them in the final (assuming we get there) then they'd have to be favourites.

29 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
We couldn't ask for a more comfortable quarter final win than that, hardly any tense moments at all.It was our best performance of the tournament which bodes well.Maguire has had a great tournament, i didnt even know his club side till the other night and Trippier is the other stand out player for me.
I'm rooting for the Russians tonight, i think we'd be strong favourites to beat them.Modric would be the best midfielder on the pitch if we face Croatia which is a problem.
And since their first match i've fancied France to win the tournament, they just have more quality throughout the team than anyone else

30 Re: Sweden v England on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 pm

luckyPeterpiper

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Growler wrote:And since their first match i've fancied France to win the tournament, they just have more quality throughout the team than anyone else
I'm not so sure about that mate. For me Belgium have been the stand out team, partly through skill and partly through the amazing way they have played for each other. When I watched them play Brazil last night it was an awesome display of both imo. In the second half when they had their backs to the wall every man was there willing to do whatever was needed to keep one of the tournament favourites at bay. Yes they had some luck especially with the foul by Kompany that wasn't given but they deserved it if only because of the spirit in which they played. In truth I really hadn't given Belgium much thought much less a real chance of winning before the finals began but when you look at the names on their team sheet and the way Martinez has wielded them into such a close knit team you have to say they're a match for anyone.

In truth I would actually prefer to face France in the final if we get that far because the French don't seem to have quite that same spirit and spine, especially if they concede an early goal.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum