Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton chairman bites back at his own players after strike

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

KEN Anderson said he was not prepared to be “blackmailed or threatened” into paying Wanderers’ players overdue bonuses on Friday thus avoiding the cancellation of today’s friendly at St Mirren.
The Bolton chairman and owner has issued a statement on the official website which confirms one player – understood to be goalkeeper, Ben Amos – was not paid his salary in June.
He also claims Championship retention and loyalty bonuses which were due to other players were planned and authorised to be paid at the bank yesterday, adding: “The players gave me an ultimatum that unless these sums were received on Friday they would not take part in the game planned for Saturday against St Mirren.”

A source in the squad claimed to The Bolton News that after bonuses had not appeared in their June wage, assurances were made by club officials that they would be fast-tracked on July 6. It was only when the payment was not cleared that a collective decision to cancel the game was made.
It is still claimed by the players that none of the group have been paid their Championship retention bonus.
Anderson continued his defence of the situation.
“None of the players who extended their contracts raised any concerns about previous problems as suggested in their statement and virtually every player we released wished to extend their stay. These are not the actions of a disaffected group, I am sure you would agree.
“To put it into perspective the net amount outstanding to those on the tour was about 2.5 per cent of the annual gross total player payroll.”

The last set of accounts for 2017 stated the wage bill was £12.6million – which would put the figure owed at £315,000. It is not known, however, whether the top figure includes non-playing staff.
“I have never hidden the details of the financial crisis the club was in upon my arrival and the problems going forward,” Anderson continued.
“The support from the non-playing staff, supporters, suppliers and the football family has been unwavering and the reason why I continue to support financially from my family’s wealth.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16339876.bolton-chairman-bites-back-at-his-own-players-after-strike/#comments-anchor

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers 'strikers' could be punished, warns Ken Anderson

KEN Anderson has warned action could be taken against players who refused to play in today’s friendly against St Mirren.
Wanderers’ squad took an unprecedented step to down tools on Friday night after a dispute over unpaid wages and bonus payments.
Their decision was announced in a statement to The Bolton News and is the first occasion in the club’s history that a fixture has been cancelled in such a fashion.
Hundreds of supporters were expected to watch the game in Paisley, many travelling up to Scotland the night before.

Anderson launched a scathing attack on the players’ actions, insisting he would not be “blackmailed or threatened”.
He also said in a personal statement on the club’s official website that those involved could now face punishment.
“It is very unfortunate that the players took the decision not to play today and the club will take the appropriate actions against those involved.
“Hopefully the players who chose not to play today will personally reimburse the supporters for their loss and inconvenience caused by their actions.”

Anderson had voiced his concern at cash-flow issues at this stage of the season last year when the late payment of player and staff bonuses for promotion hit the headlines.
The sale of Gary Madine in January – and a bonus payment received from Cardiff City for their promotion to the Premier League – was thought to have steadied the financial ship for Wanderers in the last few months.
But Anderson says the money has been used to keep the club running and that he has not changed his mind on when player bonus payments should be paid.
“Of course, contracts are contracts, but as often happens in business and in life generally things happen that affect all manner of contracts. As we are all aware, these same contracts are often ignored by players as well when it suits them.
“I stated last summer about my views on paying players’ bonuses in June, long before the club receive their bonus in August and my views on this have not changed. The same cash flow problems will continue to occur in the quiet non-playing months when there is little or no revenue for many clubs and businesses, as long as ‘Football Creditors‘ are treated differently to anyone else and as everyone knows, the players are always guaranteed payment one way or the other and before anyone else. Hopefully, in the future players’ contracts will address this problem so that they are paid at the same time as the clubs.

“As regards, the comments about the player sales, these funds have been used to keep the club alive over the last two years due in the main to the excessive and unsustainable salaries previously paid to and for players. As long as l am involved, I will continue to do my best to run the club in a commercially prudent manner to try to ensure that going forward the club will not again suffer from the same mistakes of the past and work to eradicate the trading losses that caused these financial problems.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16339911.wanderers-strikers-could-be-punished-warns-ken-anderson/

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

More of a diversionary tactic than a bite.

Last time I heard a Director saying words to the effect of "“Of course, contracts are contracts, but as often happens in business and in life generally things happen that affect all manner of contracts" as an excuse for not honouring contracts he was summarily dismissed and rightly so.

I've heard a lot of crap about the club's reputation being brought down by the players, but there's nothing in business that damages it's reputation than failure to honour a contract. 
What possible reason would there be for having any trust in any agreement signed with the club if they fail to meet their commitments?
What's even worse is the Chairman trying to justify it.

The correct course of action would have been a wholehearted public apology and immediate action to make the payments.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum