Bolton Nuts » The World Cup 2018 » The World Cup 2018 » Croatia v England

Croatia v England

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Croatia v England on Mon Jul 09 2018, 01:51

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Another winnable game and another game in which I can't even hazard a guess at the score as it entirely depends on which team plays to the best of their ability on the day.
Personally I'm just glad we've made it this far.
Head says not an effing clue, heart says England to win 2 - 1.

2 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 10:15

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Today is the day, let’s hope this England team, who have already exceeded expectation, gets us to a World Cup final.  Come on England!

3 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 11:35

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
To be brutally honest i've lost some interest/passion for it after watching how good the French were last night.

It feels like an equivalent of Bolton v Burton in the FA Cup semi final to play Chelsea in the final.

4 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 11:46

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Growler wrote:To be brutally honest i've lost some interest/passion for it after watching how good the French were last night.

It feels like an equivalent of Bolton v Burton in the FA Cup semi final to play Chelsea in the final.
Don't say that,I've had a tenner on them at 16/1. Not a big fan of International football but winning the WC would be nice,considering how long we've had to wait,and the drivel served up since our last win.

5 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 14:47

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We have a decent team and they're comparatively young (apart from Young ironically) and whilst we have good players coming through, this lot have to seize their chance now.
We need a performance and a bit of luck today and tomorrow will look after itself.
Come on England! Please don't blow it.

6 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 15:03

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Growler wrote:To be brutally honest i've lost some interest/passion for it after watching how good the French were last night.

I came away thinking the exact opposite, France hardly created a chance until the last few minutes.

7 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 16:04

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I came away thinking the exact opposite, France hardly created a chance until the last few minutes.
True apart from those that Giroud muffed, but Belgium were very strong in midfield and defence so it's not surprising. That said, France is not a problem the England team have. There's the little matter of Croatia and Modric...

8 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 16:20

Norpig

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Lets beat Croatia before we start worrying about the French!

9 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 17:21

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Due to Pogba and Kante's strength in midfield they are one the best defensive teams ever, and they have better attacking players than us.Mbappe is going to be the most sought after attacker in the world soon if he isn't more sought after than Messi now.
Belgium have 2 world class attacking midfielders who weren't good enough on the night to make an impression against them.We've got a striker who is world class from the penalty spot and nowt else of great quality in the midfield and attack.

10 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 21:52

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Dreadful 2nd half.

11 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 21:52

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ok,it's not coming home.

12 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 21:54

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Needed the second goal. However,I think the better team went through.

13 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 22:13

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
You can only go so far when you struggle to score from open play.

14 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 22:21

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We were terrible. Stirling, Alli & Lingard were absolute bobbins - I don't care that they ran themselves into the ground, this is the world cup semi-final, not a League 2 game between Exeter and Morecambe, we deserved some fooking quality. If you want runners pick the Brownlee brothers.

Too many pointless back passes, often going from deep in Croatia territory back to Pickford in 3 passes. Brilliant.

No plan B either, I'd like to have seen an Andy Carroll type player on the bench.

Fook me, if I wanted low quality, backwards passes, and no plan B I'd just watch last season's Bolton "highlights".

I'm seething.

15 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 22:44

MartinBWFC

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Natasha Whittam wrote:We were terrible. Stirling, Alli & Lingard were absolute bobbins - I don't care that they ran themselves into the ground, this is the world cup semi-final, not a League 2 game between Exeter and Morecambe, we deserved some fooking quality. If you want runners pick the Brownlee brothers.

Too many pointless back passes, often going from deep in Croatia territory back to Pickford in 3 passes. Brilliant.

No plan B either, I'd like to have seen an Andy Carroll type player on the bench.

Fook me, if I wanted low quality, backwards passes, and no plan B I'd just watch last season's Bolton "highlights".

I'm seething.
This.

16 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 22:51

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I thought it was a tactical decision by Southgate to sit back and invite pressure in the second half which would be madness but as the game wore on I think it was just our midfield players were knackered having to chase after their more gifted midfield players
It could have been so different if we had scored the second goal when we were on top but when the equaliser went in i'd have taken a penalty shoot out.
All our attacking players let the country down there was no quality from any of them, Kane and Rashford in particular were shite.

We'll not got an easier World Cup semi final than one against a country of 4 million people with a dodgy defence but hey ho..

17 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 23:12

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Big Sam for England lol!

18 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 23:14

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
How the hell do Croatia do it? Tiny population, but come up with quality players.

19 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 23:21

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
boltonbonce wrote:How the hell do Croatia do it? Tiny population, but come up with quality players.
Good question, at least they are consistently born there rather in Ireland or Scotland.

20 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 23:31

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Before the France v Belgium game,I was wondering who I'd prefer to play in the final. Always fatal to plan ahead.

21 Re: Croatia v England on Wed Jul 11 2018, 23:47

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Depressing, we had a brilliant first half hour or so but looked knackered after that - as soon as we let Modric get on the ball you just knew Croatia were starting to tick and we were in trouble. 

I like Southgate a lot but throughout the tournament I think he’s made the wrong subs at the wrong time. We needed fresh impetus in midfield and RLC should have been on for Ali or Lingaard in the second half. I’m also not convinced bringing Sterling off was a good move, he was stretching their back 4 and I do wonder if Rashford is a bit overrated?

Still, a good tournament and so many positives - the formation, Trippier, Pickford, Maguire and Kane especially.

22 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 05:59

Growler

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
England's  midfielders/ attackers in the 1990 World Cup Semi Final and last nights semi final

Lineker,Beardsley, Gascoigne,Waddle, Platt compared to Alli,Lingard,Henderson,Sterling,Kane

I honestly don't think one of the current 5 would have got a start in the 1990 team

We did very well getting so far with this team

23 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 11:31

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fair result although the manner of it was disappointing as Croatia's midfield ran the match from the moment we scored and the possession stats back it up. They had twice as many total shots as England and 7 on target to England's 2 which just underlines how ineffective we were going forward.
I think the British media and pundits - especially Ferdinand - did a great job of motivating the Croatian team to outpass and ultimately wear down England and with a top class midfield 4, two of which are a different class from anything we've got they ran us ragged.
Whilst England don't have any "world class" players it might have been possible to get a result had the squad included the skills to set up a different way to bypass Croatia's midfield e.g. a bully like Carroll as Nat mentioned, someone who can spray it about like Shelvey and maybe a dribbler like Zaha but Southgate opted to show faith in those who could play his preferred system and as a result, half of those selected didn't get a game in the entire tournament so wasted places IMO.
Still, we got to the semi final and that's an improvement but we need to go a fair bit further if we're going to compete with the top teams.

24 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 13:59

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
No problem with the work effort and 110% given. The lads gave it all they had.

As far as the analysis of it....I said before this game that we are not creating enough chances via open play and once again it did us in.  Just overall Southgate is too defensive for my liking. After we started to sit back it was only a matter of time......Parky like tactics I'm afraid.

25 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 15:03

Sluffy

Admin
Fwiw I didn't see us deliberately sitting back at all.

The way I saw it was that Southgate set up the team to be high tempoed and attacking with great speed, unfortunately that is bound to take a great deal out of a player.

I think we simply burnt ourselves out over the length of the tournament and badly tired in the second half of the game.  Players like Walker (and possibly Trippier) certainly should not be getting cramp in this day and age in the England set up.

Maybe Southgate should have switched his teams around more with say the likes of Vardy, Dier, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek, Rose and Cahill starting some of the games rather than keep an unchanged side (Belgium excluded) through out the competition, to keep the players that bit more fresher the longer we went in the World Cup.

We should have won if we could have kept the tempo and speed up as we did in the first half but unfortunately it no longer seemed to be in the players legs anymore.

I can't see the players now doing any better in the next few World Cups as they will have to carry the unreasonable hopes and expectations of the whole country from now on, on their shoulders because they managed to get to a WC semi-final whilst they were basically rookies, so when they have aged more with experience people will be thinking they will simply walk the next World Cup.

26 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 16:58

finlaymcdanger

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Southgate's 3-3-2-2 system was exposed by the first decent team we had to play (not counting Belgium). I'd have switched to a flat back four the second Croatia's midfield began to destroy us. I also think he was stubborn to persist with Dele Alli and Harry Kane who clearly weren't fit.

Ultimately, and although we had chances to extend our lead in the first half, we were out witted by a superior team containing Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus players. Reaching the Semi's was a great achievement but we finally found out where we are in the grand scheme of things.

27 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 17:03

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Sorry to be blunt, but anyone who thinks that our tactics were defensive does not have the first idea about football. As Sluffy said teams burn out, doesn’t take a genius to see that.

28 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 18:10

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
T.R.O.Y wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but anyone who thinks that our tactics were defensive does not have the first idea about football. As Sluffy said teams burn out, doesn’t take a genius to see that.

Why did Croatia not burn out then?  They played more minutes than us.

Just for the sake of argument.....Walker, Trippier & Young ...that's three fullbacks in the starting 11 .....along with Danny Rose & Eric Dier coming on as subs in the game and the earlier games to boot. And not to mention Delph who is really another full back.

All good players but I can't see a killer pass coming from any of them. Doesn't sound very offensive minded.....at least on paper.

29 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 18:16

T.R.O.Y

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Did you watch any of the games?

Trippier and Young played at wing back and we’re two of our biggest threats. 

Aside from this season Delph’s been a central midifielder his entire career?

30 Re: Croatia v England on Thu Jul 12 2018, 18:26

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
T.R.O.Y wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but anyone who thinks that our tactics were defensive does not have the first idea about football.

When did you turn into sluffy?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum