Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers can get more goals out of Sammy Ameobi, says boss

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson reckons he can get more goals out of Sammy Ameobi this season.

The former Newcastle United wing man finished last term in the Championship with his best-ever haul of four goals, three of which were scored in the first six games.

Ameobi’s close-range finish against Halifax Town in last Saturday’s friendly was actually his first goal this February, when his superb solo run and drive were enough to seal three priceless points at the Macron.

But while the 26-year-old has often shown a penchant for the sublime in his Bolton career, Parkinson feels his player can add greater depth to his game this season by weighing in with less spectacular strikes, more often.

“The goal Sammy scored against Halifax was the kind of thing he’s got to add to his game. He’s got to get inside of his full-back,” he told The Bolton News.

“People think the top wide players score 30-yarders all the time, but they don’t. They get a ratio of the scrappier goals where your positioning has got to be right.

“Sammy is getting there. He’s been right at the front of the running all the way through pre-season. There’s no reason why he can’t be doing those lung-busting runs to get in the penalty area and among the goals.”

Ameobi signed a new two-year deal at the Macron this summer, turning down offers from elsewhere in the Championship.

He had arrived at Wanderers in League One after patchy loan spells with Middlesbrough and Cardiff City where most of his football was played off the bench.

Parkinson was convinced he could make Ameobi a regular starter, however, and last season he played a career-high 33 games from the first whistle.

That faith was a major part of Ameobi’s decision to return to the Macron after his contract had expired.

“I have had such a wonderful time at Bolton, both in first six months and last season.

“I feel like I owe the fans, the staff – especially the gaffer - and the other players a lot,” he said.

“I came last season a bit of a broken man. People were very patient with me and filled me with confidence. I tried to play my best football and that was a huge factor for me.

“When my contract was up the working environment was a huge factor for me. I have loved my time here and hopefully there’s a great season ahead.”

Ameobi is also happy with the mood within the squad, no doubt improved this week by the resolution of the pay dispute which had thrown a cloud over pre-season.

The winger had spoken on behalf of the dressing room last weekend, seeking a quick agreement between Ken Anderson and the players over outstanding bonuses.

And he says the atmosphere around the training ground was another big factor in choosing to stay with Bolton.

“There is a good feeling here,” he said. “We know we have got to be at a good level of fitness to start the season well but the lads want to work for each other.

“There is a good core of players here and they’ve brought in some quality, down to earth boys who just want to work hard for the team. There’s a positive feel around us and a good working environment here.

“They will bring in more quality, I’m sure, but at the moment we’re working with what we have got and making sure there’s a solid base we can build on.”

Ameobi sat out of the behind-closed-doors friendly against Morecambe but is expected to return to the reckoning in tomorrow’s friendly against Spanish side Girona.

For all their issues this summer, Wanderers are undefeated in their summer games thus far and Ameobi would be happy to contribute to another good performance.

“That’s what I feel like I should be doing. I feel like I should be creating and scoring more goals and getting more consistent. I feel like I can be involved in the good things this club can do.

“We know it’s going to be a tough season in the Championship. Girona are La Liga, so it will be a tough game.

“Hopefully we can keep working hard to get into shape and rectify the start we made last season.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

4 goals all season says it all really.

And yet people cream themselves about him. I'd much rather have kept Morais.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:4 goals all season says it all really.

And yet people cream themselves about him. I'd much rather have kept Morais.

The same morais that scored less?

maconman

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

I see Lennon at Hibs is now eyeing up Alf as a target.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum