Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson backs new signing to learn fast

+3
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The former Forest Green striker was praised for his work-rate after making his first appearance as a Championship player in Bolton’s 2-1 defeat.

Parkinson admits, however, that Doidge was left isolated at times - and he is looking for better as his side make the journey to fourth-placed Middlesbrough tomorrow night.

“I was pleased with Christian,” he told The Bolton News. “He worked tirelessly but we need to get people around him quicker. He won some good headers and won the free kick that led to the goal.

“But nothing really fell for him in the box, so he didn’t get a chance to show what he’s really good at, and that’s scoring goals.”

Doidge already has four goals to his name in League Two this season and Parkinson sees no reason why his form cannot translate to a higher level.

“I’m very pleased with what I have seen from him so far,” the manager said. “It’s a big step up, of course, but I think he’ll come on for playing against QPR and seeing what it’s like to play in the Championship.

“Coming from where he has, Chris knows he’s got to be sharper in everything he does. And that will come.

“He’s already learned training alongside better quality players the sort of standard he needs to get to. But he’s a very committed player, so I am sure he’ll get there.”

Josh Magennis will be challenging for a spot up from at the Riverside having shaken off a groin injury to take his place on the bench against QPR to grab his fourth goal of the season.

Parkinson is considering making changes to keep his side fresh, knowing another long trip awaits at Ipswich a few days later.

“It’s always been in the back of our mind that there are three games in quick succession, so we will look at making changes over the course of that period,” he said. “We’ve got to bounce back but our form away from home has been very good.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Surely you learn to play football long before you sign for a professional club?

More drivel.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Surely you learn to play football long before you sign for a professional club?

More drivel.
The lad can play. What he needs to learn is to play Parky's way i.e. run around all day up front and try to make something out of nothing as Magennis does. Changing the system to give him the goal scoring chances he thrives on is clearly not an option.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lots of morons on facebook were slagging Doidge off, saying he can't make the step up. He can't do much if he never actually receives any service like on Saturday.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He didn't get much service, but when he did get the ball he did nothing with it.

Obviously he should get a run in the team, but he won't start tonight, that's for sure.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If he starts tonight then he is definitely on his own as we play tomorrow  Laughing

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat never knows what day it is these days Norpig! Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm a Chorley fan, I don't give a shite what day you Bolton bastards play.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm a Chorley fan, I don't give a shite what day you Bolton bastards play.
 Nearly 30K posts on here leads me to believe otherwise  Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm a Chorley fan, I don't give a shite what day you Bolton bastards play.
 Nearly 30K posts on here leads me to believe otherwise  Very Happy

She was originally lured in with free Pepsi and twirls. Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Nearly 30K posts on here leads me to believe otherwise  Very Happy

I come here to mock you, nothing more.

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sounded like he had an ok game to me. Let's give him time to bed in.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

He had a game of two halves. The first he didn't know his arse from his elbow, but credit to him, he got more involved in the second. He is a lightweight player, and he will have to get used to the physicality of the league. I'm sure he can do it, but it would be nice if he had a game-plan and tactics that he can play to.

Parky’s too cautious and wants to contain the opposition, but it is a game plan.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:.. but it is a game plan.
Sure it is but if he is dogmatic about playing that way, why sign a player that doesn't fit? Doidge is a bit like ALF and will be at his best when playing alongside a target man - but how often will that happen, unless we're chasing the game?

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

He is one of that rare breed, a proper goalscorer, a converter of chances. (Not much else admittedly) Unfortunately under Parky we don't create any chances we just send him up top on his jack jones and expect him to create something from high balls pumped up to him and set pieces delivered into the box. Ameobi being out for 6 weeks will just accentuate the problem. Something tells me we've wasted our money.

wanderlust wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:.. but it is a game plan.
Sure it is but if he is dogmatic about playing that way, why sign a player that doesn't fit? Doidge is a bit like ALF and will be at his best when playing alongside a target man - but how often will that happen, unless we're chasing the game?

You haven’t even see him play so to pidgeonhole him as an ALF type striker is questionable at best.

He’s capable of playing up front on his own, that’s what he did for Forest Green Rovers, so let’s actually give him a few games before deciding what he can and can’t do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum