Last Match: Bolton 0-1 Blackburn
Next Match: Rotherham V Bolton - 20/10/18 @3PM Live

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract

Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 pm

BoltonTillIDie

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bolton Wanderers are pleased to announce the signing of Stephen Ireland on a short term contract.

The Cork-born attacking midfielder has spent his entire professional career to date in the Premier League and brings a wealth of experience to the University of Bolton Stadium.

Starting his foray into the game in his homeland with Cobh Ramblers, he made the move to England as a teenager with Manchester City and turned pro at the Etihad Stadium in 2005.

Making 176 appearances for the Citizens in all competitions during a five-year spell, he also played UEFA Cup football with the club during the 2008/09 campaign.

Moving to Aston Villa in the summer of 2010, he proceeded to spend three-and-a-half years with the Midlands outfit – including a loan stint with Newcastle in 2010/11 – before making the switch to Stoke City in January 2014.

After four-and-a-half years with the Potters however, 32-year-old Ireland brought down the curtain on his time at the bet365 Stadium in the summer and has now linked up with Phil Parkinson’s men.

Manager Phil Parkinson added: “Although he's got a bit to do in terms of match fitness, we've got a lot of games coming up and I'm sure he will make a positive contribution.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BoltonTillIDie

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We sign an unfit player on a short term contract...interesting.

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Dear me, another "not match fit" signing.

Will we never learn?

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Haha yeah typical!

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
They should have just come out and said that he was training with us!

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hasn't he been training with us since pre-season?

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
So how short is the short term contract? A month?

bryan458

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
He is still probably better than anyone we have !!

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Dear me, another "not match fit" signing.

Will we never learn?
You have answered your own question!  Spot on.

10 Re: Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 pm

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Hasn't he been training with us since pre-season?
Injured in pre-season.

11 Re: Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 am

Leeds_Trotter

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Good signing if he can keep fit.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Too similar to Oztumer. We needed a big bastard who can play a bit

Norpig

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
A good player years ago but how many games has he actually played in the last 5 years? Plus how unfit is he?
If and it's a big if, he can rediscover his form he would be useful but i just can't see it happening, hope i'm wrong though.

14 Re: Stephen Ireland signs on short term contract on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:58 pm

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
One thing about Stephen Ireland was that he could always pick out a killer pass so I'm wondering whether the lack of a decent final ball against Rovers influenced the decision to give him a contract?

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
He hasn’t been picking out ‘killer passes’ since his time at City to be fair, he’s a nice option off the bench if the money’s right and he’s fit though. I’m happy enough with it, we need options and this is one where if he’s motivated he might find his level.

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Never liked him. He pretended his gran had died in order to get out of an international game.

A ponce, of the lightweight variety.

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Did we not sign some great midfield hope from Leeds? I forget his name. Is he still alive?

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Never liked him. He pretended his gran had died in order to get out of an international game.

A ponce, of the lightweight variety.

Didn’t he say that to keep something personal away from the public to do with his Mrs?

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Did we not sign some great midfield hope from Leeds? I forget his name. Is he still alive?
Do you mean Murphy?

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Do you mean Murphy?

Maybe, clearly a bright prospect.

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
His squad number is 15. I've nothing more to add.

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Was a decent player a few years back so anything approaching that level will be good for us. Of course Parky will not even have him on the bench until Christmas then play him at right back or something else that defies logic.

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I’ll trust the man who’s watched him train everyday over one who saw city play on match of the day a decade ago cheers Terrence.

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I’ll trust the man who’s watched him train everyday over one who saw city play on match of the day a decade ago cheers Terrence.

Stop your bullery of Terrence.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I’ll trust the man who’s watched him train everyday over one who saw city play on match of the day a decade ago cheers Terrence.

Is this the same man who claimed that Erhun Oztumer was a striker?

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I offer perspective to idiotic posts. Not my fault Terrence can’t put anything sensibility forward.

rammywhite

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
He's got to be a better bet than Lloyd Dyer from what we saw of him against Blackburn.

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:He's got to be a better bet than Lloyd Dyer from what we saw of him against Blackburn.
Dyer looked fine from the waist up.

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Your blind loyalty to Parky is admirable. If he is good enough to sign a contract then good enough to play don't you think. He must be fit enough for a 20 minutes sub in the next game surely.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Your blind loyalty to Parky is admirable. If he is good enough to sign a contract then good enough to play don't you think. He must be fit enough for a 20 minutes sub in the next game surely.

I ain’t said owt

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum