Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Hull

+5
luckyPeterpiper
observer
bryan458
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 18:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fraizer Campbell's early strike proved decisive as, despite a dominant performance, Wanderers slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to Hull City on Saturday afternoon.

The former Manchester United striker beat Ben Alnwick with just seven minutes on the clock, and while the Whites enjoyed the majority of possession and opportunities during the remainder of the clash, they came up just short come the final whistle.

And speaking following the final whistle, manager Phil Parkinson covered these points...

On his assessment of the game…

We’ve had enough chances to get something from the game today.

I thought the lads adapted well to the system, as we made a lot of changes.

We obviously worked on playing that way during the international break and revisited it yesterday in training.

Some of the approach play was good, as we’ve had more chances today than we’ve had for a lot of weeks.

But as everybody knows, it is about taking those opportunities and we needed someone to put it in the back of the net.

In reality and on the balance of the game, possession and chances created, it probably should have been a 2/3-1 win for us.

But you can see confidence levels are low which is inevitable after getting beat on Wednesday and the criticism that comes with it.

I really thought the lads showed great bravery, in terms of going a goal down at home and we know it was scrappy goal, but we kept playing and trying to implement the way we needed to play today to break Hull down.

We got in some good positions but at the very least, we have to make the goalkeeper come off the pitch and say he has to be fantastic.

We missed too many simple chances.

On potentially missing a bit of luck…

I don’t think it is luck, but I would like a bit of that as well, I just think we can do better.

We’ve got better quality players in and around that final third, that when the opportunities came to make the goalkeeper work, we didn’t do that today.

They don’t miss chances on purpose, but you can see that there is a lack of confidence which is inevitable when you are on a bad run.

But, we are ahead of where we were last season and over-achieving to be in this position.

We know we’re on a difficult run and we need to dig ourselves out of it.

We need to working for each other.

The lads are a terrific group of players, who are a joy to work with.

There was nobody who hid out there on the football pitch today.

Everybody kept showing for the ball and trying to do the right things.

Were we always great and decision making spot on? Probably not but there was nobody hiding.

For that, I am very proud of them.

On Erhun Oztumer being an example of not hiding away…

With Ozzy, it didn’t go well for him in front of goal but he kept showing for the ball.

He typified what I just said and with him, we know his has that quality in front of goal.

He has a record of scoring goals and we see it every day in training.

Credit to him because he didn’t let his head drop and kept going out there.

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be but on another day, he could have had a hattrick.

On some positive individual performances…

I thought the body language of the players, in terms of when the chips are down which they are, was excellent.

The crowd were good I thought, getting behind the lads even when they scored, they stayed with us.

I thought Doidgey and Clayton worked well together, as well as Joe Williams probably having one of his best games.

There were some other good performances around the pitch.

But, football is about taking your chances when they come and we didn’t do that today.

On focus turning to Aston Villa on Friday…

We just have to regroup and it’ll turn.

We had a terrible start last year and we found a way to turn it around and get ourselves going.

This is probably our worst run since then, although we had some tough times last year.

Like I always said and in my first press conference at this club, that what is important is that everybody at Bolton stays together.

Everybody at the club, who works for them or supports them, needs to stick together because that is the only way.

We’re not a club who has great resources and are going to compete with the top clubs in this division.

But what we have got, is a mentality that we stick together and that is exactly what we have done.

I am very proud of the lads today, as it is very difficult playing when you have had a bad defeat and face criticism when you’re 1-0 down at home.

We stuck at it and kept going to the end.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 18:33

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parky wrote:I am very proud of the lads today

He really doesn't help himself. Praising the players after a home defeat to bottom of the league.

3What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 18:38

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

'On balance and chances we should have won 2 to 3-1'.

Is this fucker on drugs ????

4What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 19:14

bryan458 wrote:'On balance and chances we should have won 2 to 3-1'.

No need for the abuse, the mans done our club well and deserves respect.

He’s also correct, Donaldson should have scored a couple and Doidge had a decent chance. If we take them it’s a different story.

5What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 19:54

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I am very proud of the lads today

I would stop giving player ratings and I wouldn't be so proud of losing to a bottom club who had only won twice in 21 matches and had lost five in a row away.  Not many players acquitted themselves in these past few weeks and we still don't have a starting eleven.

6What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 20:57

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I reluctantly came to the conclusion today that Phil has taken us as far as he can. I respect what he did in getting us back into the Championship and keeping us there with next to nothing last season but this season he seems to have run out of both ideas and the ability to motivate the players to perform consistently at the level we know they are capable of. So unfortunately I think it's time for him to go so that a new manager can have a decent run to the transfer window and get a proper look at who we can get to strengthen us with whatever budget may be available. I wish Phil Parkinson well and hope he finds another club soon that's more suited to his approach but I really do feel it's time for him and BWFC to part company.

Whether or not Ken Anderson feels the same does of course remain to be seen but given his expression at the final whistle I suspect Phil's remaining time with us can now be measured in days if not hours. The only thing I can see that might save him is if Ken feels it would be too expensive to sack him and pay him off now but given the revenue loss that will happen if we do get relegated again I suspect he might feel there's no choice but to pull the trigger now rather than take that risk.

7What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 20:59

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

T.R.O.Y wrote:
bryan458 wrote:'On balance and chances we should have won 2 to 3-1'.

No need for the abuse, the mans done our club well and deserves respect.

He’s also correct, Donaldson should have scored a couple and Doidge had a decent chance. If we take them it’s a different story.
No need for the abuse, Seriously, it say's Bolton BANTER !!!
Donaldson should have scored a couple, He Didn't!!!
Doidge had a decent chance, He Didn't take it!!
Also
Our goalkeeper made a great save, should have been 2-0 !!!
Change of formation, again, not surprised that the players look as though they are all total strangers.
7 Changes, after the 5 from the Rotherham game, no continuity!!!!
IMO there is no way that PP will turn this around, he has not got the quality or the intelligence. !!!
How many saves did their goalkeeper have to make during the game ?????
Agianst a team bottom of the league ???? And we were at home !!!
How many times has all the above happened this season and last for that matter!!!

the last thing that I would want to see happen is if this drags on and the support becomes toxic ala Coyle/Freedman.
think about it !!!!! ..dunno..

8What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 21:07

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Banter is one thing Bryan but personal abuse is another. Look, I share your frustration and even anger at today's performance and I agree it's now happened too often this season for Phil to stay but I don't dislike the man. I respect what he's accomplished especially given the constraints he's worked under but I believe he's simply run out of steam and ideas. Because of that I think it's time for him to go now while he still has the right to hold his head up and be proud of the things he got right.

9What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 21:09

Nobody’s disputing Donaldson or Doidge didn’t take the chances - we all saw the game, no clue what point you’re trying to make there.

All I’m saying is, calling him a fucker is unnecessary. Whether he keeps his job or not.

10What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sat Oct 27 2018, 21:11

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I reluctantly came to the conclusion today that Phil has taken us as far as he can. I respect what he did in getting us back into the Championship and keeping us there with next to nothing last season but this season he seems to have run out of both ideas and the ability to motivate the players to perform consistently at the level we know they are capable of. So unfortunately I think it's time for him to go so that a new manager can have a decent run to the transfer window and get a proper look at who we can get to strengthen us with whatever budget may be available. I wish Phil Parkinson well and hope he finds another club soon that's more suited to his approach but I really do feel it's time for him and BWFC to part company.

Whether or not Ken Anderson feels the same does of course remain to be seen but given his expression at the final whistle I suspect Phil's remaining time with us can now be measured in days if not hours. The only thing I can see that might save him is if Ken feels it would be too expensive to sack him and pay him off now but given the revenue loss that will happen if we do get relegated again I suspect he might feel there's no choice but to pull the trigger now rather than take that risk.
The main issue for KA is that he wants to sell the club and the state that we're in means that the value of the club is dropping like a stone. KA wants to sell a successful business and that's not happening at the moment.
Parky will be a casualty of KA's financial planning rather than his poor football

11What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sun Oct 28 2018, 11:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:I reluctantly came to the conclusion today that Phil has taken us as far as he can. I respect what he did in getting us back into the Championship and keeping us there with next to nothing last season but this season he seems to have run out of both ideas and the ability to motivate the players to perform consistently at the level we know they are capable of. So unfortunately I think it's time for him to go so that a new manager can have a decent run to the transfer window and get a proper look at who we can get to strengthen us with whatever budget may be available. I wish Phil Parkinson well and hope he finds another club soon that's more suited to his approach but I really do feel it's time for him and BWFC to part company.

The main issue for KA is that he wants to sell the club and the state that we're in means that the value of the club is dropping like a stone. KA wants to sell a successful business and that's not happening at the moment.
Parky will be a casualty of KA's financial planning rather than his poor football
If Anderson has also reached the end of his options as regards financing the club - apart from actually putting some of his own money in, which is highly unlikely - poor results could leave us in limbo.
Anderson would be less likely to have the option to exit with a big payoff and may try to hang on to his tenure in the hope that things improve by going further down the austerity route and if he does that, I'd be gobsmacked if he'd even consider taking on the cost of changing the manager.  
The obvious alternative would be for Anderson to consider accepting an offer that more accurately reflects the value of the club - i.e. no big payoff, but I can't see that happening.
If I was a betting man, in the absence of a miraculous solution appearing out of nowhere or Parky walking by choice, I'd be putting my money on the former as I can't imagine Anderson would invest his own money or walk away without a payoff.
If that leads to admin/points deduction/relegation maybe then we'd be able to go back to the drawing board with a new owner.

12What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sun Oct 28 2018, 13:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its highly unlikely, but I'll ask anyway, what if nobody wants to buy the club, and were left with KA?

13What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sun Oct 28 2018, 13:47

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

gloswhite wrote:Its highly unlikely, but I'll ask anyway, what if nobody wants to buy the club, and were left with KA?
Administration is the only likely outcome.

14What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sun Oct 28 2018, 14:36

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Admin is at this time unlikely since the club's existing debts are being serviced as per their schedules. Ken has made some payments a bit late but he HAS made them so unless that changes it's very unlikely any of the creditors would look to put us in admin since most of them would only get a fraction of what they're owed as a result and some would get nothing at all.

Basically the problem with finances seems to be that there is nothing left over AFTER the current commitments are met which is why I think Ken may be reluctant to pull the trigger on Phil if it involves a significant pay off at the moment.

With no disrespect to lusty or any of the others who think Ken's the bad guy here the issue today is ON the field not off it. While it obviously has a knock on effect on the finances the main question now facing BWFC is how to improve our results and win some matches.

Personally I think Ken's first and foremost a businessman and if he feels the risks of keeping Phil outweigh the benefit of not making a pay off then Phil will be gone sooner rather than later. There is one other possibility but it might be remote in that a deal for Ken to sell is close to being done in which case Ken may feel it's best to let the new owners decide who they want as manager.

Obviously this is all speculation on my part. Were it up to me I'd have sacked Phil last night and issued a statement thanking him for his services but perhaps with events at Leicester taking up so much attention perhaps Ken feels it would be distasteful to act today. Our next match is away to Villa and I doubt anyone of us expects a positive result there so perhaps Ken will act after that.

15What Parkinson Thought - Hull Empty Re: What Parkinson Thought - Hull Sun Oct 28 2018, 15:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Good points there Peter, but if Ken decided that Parky has to go, it could be difficult if, by some miracle, we perform well at Villa. 
Also to do so would be admitting defeat before we go there, and a literal throwing away of a possible 3 points, just to appear considerate. Football has never been that when it comes to money. 
He's more likely counting the beans behind the scenes, and deciding on the cheapest or most profitable way out. Either that or which route will allow him the least loss in the long run.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum