Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson fights his corner amid speculation over Bolton job

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson insists he can get Wanderers moving back in the right direction.

Despite criticism mounting over a run of form which has seen Wanderers take just five points from the last available 33, the Bolton boss says he is confident the club will pull out of their current slump.

Parkinson remained calm after Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Hull City, insisting he was proud of the job he had done at Wanderers over the last two-and-a-half years.

His situation appeared to be improved yesterday as Ken Anderson gave him conditional backing – claiming his statement on Thursday which said he would take “any actions necessary” to correct the club’s form were misconstrued by the media.

Parkinson also rallied against the chairman’s statement, insisting he is “proud” of the job he has done since coming to Wanderers in summer 2016.

But speaking after the final whistle on Saturday the Bolton boss was positive he could bring about better results, given more time in the role.

“A lot of people say to me ‘get out there in the media and defend yourself against the criticism more’ but I have always tried to keep my own counsel. It’s the way I will continue to be.

“We have got a great staff here. There’s not a single lad in the dressing room who isn’t giving their all, there really isn’t. We just can’t find that moment of quality at this moment in time.

“From within I think we can get better. We have got players coming back but even forgetting them I think we can do more around the opposition goal.”

Parkinson had been disappointed by his side's defending as they conceded a goal seven minutes in against Hull, Frazier Campbell turning home Markus Henriksen's cross.

“We got caught down the right and knowing the shape we set up with, you can get exposed down the sides," he said referring to his switch to 3-5-2.

“When the cross came in we had to deal with it. And it’s hugely frustrating we didn’t.

“It was a very scrappy goal and the last thing we needed."

Parkinson had no complaints with the backing he got from the crowd, albeit the lowest gate seen at The University of Bolton Stadium for a Championship game this season.

“I don’t know whether the fans booed at the end because I’d gone down the tunnel," Parkinson added. “But I thought they stayed with us and they encouraged the lads as much as they could and I thank them for that. It isn’t easy watching your team get beat."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum