Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton named among UK's unhealthiest towns

+6
sunlight
Growler
doffcocker
rammywhite
Norpig
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton’s high street has been named among the 'unhealthiest' in the country.

Research by the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) found that residents living in towns with lots of bookies and off-licences die younger than those with plenty of libraries and pharmacies.

Its ranking of 70 high streets found those living in the top ten healthy areas lived on average two-and-a-half years longer than those with the 10 unhealthiest high streets.

Bolton was judged to be the seventh unhealthiest town in the UK.

Grimsby led the list, followed by Walsall and Blackpool, while Edinburgh, Canterbury and Taunton came out on top in the healthy stakes.

The report also found that Bolton has the second highest percentage of empty shops - with 26.4 per cent of retail outlets unoccupied.

The Health on the High Street: Running on Empty report used a scale giving points for pubs and bars, dentists, opticians, libraries, leisure centres, museums and galleries, pharmacies, coffee shops and vape shops.

Points were deducted for betting shops, payday lenders, fast food outlets, off licences, tanning salons and empty shops.

Stoke-on-Trent, Sunderland, Northampton, Wolverhampton, Huddersfield and Bradford also found themselves in the bottom ten.

The research found that 4,000 new fast food outlets had opened across the UK in the past five years - predominantly in poorer areas.

Deprived areas now have five times more fast food shops than wealthy neighbourhoods, the RSPH said.

It showed that vape shops have doubled to 2,000 in the last three years, while the number of empty shops on the high street has increased from below 7 per cent in 2007 to 11 per cent in 2017.

Shirley Cramer CBE, chief executive of the RSPH, said that Chancellor's Budget did 'not go far enough' for high streets as local authorities are unable to reshape them due to ongoing funding cuts.

Kieron Boyle - chief executive of Guy's and St Thomas' Charity which works to improve health in London - welcomed the research and said it highlighted the role of environmental factors on health and how factors beyond the health and care system can influence people's wellbeing.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No real surprise is there? The town centre is a shadow of what it was 10-15 years ago and gets worse every time i go back.

Last edited by Norpig on Fri Nov 02 2018, 11:45; edited 1 time in total

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:No real surprise is there? The town centre is a shadow of what is was 10-15 years ago and gets worse every time i go back.

You're right Mr. Pig

The town centre used to be something to be proud of and now its an embarrassing shambles.
Thanks Bolton Council- you're doing a grand job making Bolton a great place to live.
Don't forget though to claim your expenses!!!

Last edited by rammywhite on Fri Nov 02 2018, 11:55; edited 2 times in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is all Cliff’s fault the shitbag.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

rammywhite wrote:
Norpig wrote:No real surprise is there? The town centre is a shadow of what is was 10-15 years ago and gets worse every time i go back.

You're right Mr. Pig

The town centre used to be something to be proud of and now its an embarrassing shambles.
Thanks Bolton Council- you're doing a grand job making Bolton a great place to live.

At least we've spent £50m on a new bus station.

Which is handy for the abundance of people that want to come to Bolton.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

doffcocker wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

You're right Mr. Pig

At least we've spent £50m on a new bus station.

Which is handy for the abundance of people that want to come to Bolton.
……..or get away from Bolton

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The bus station is nice, i was there yesterday but the surrounding area is still a major shithole and as far the bottom end of Bradshawgate! It is an absolute disgrace and an eyesore and should be a major embarrassment to the Council.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WTF did you come to Bolton on Sunday for? Shocked

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think the only town centre round here that isn't a shithole is Bury.
Rochdale, Stockport, Oldham, Ashton under Lyne, Blackburn, Burnley these are all shitholes with swathes of empty shops and the bookies/pound shops due to the decline of the high street and the growth of internet shopping.
Bury has bucked the trend possibly because it is surrounded by more affluent suburbs than Bolton and , being smaller also helps.Bury also had a policy of banning out of town retail parks to focus on the town centre.Bolton is maybe paying the price for encouraging the Middlebrook retail park 20 years ago.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:WTF did you come to Bolton on Sunday for? Shocked
 It was my Mums birthday so i brought the kids up to see her. Still bloody rail replacement buses from Manchester as well Mad

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
karlypants wrote:WTF did you come to Bolton on Sunday for? Shocked
 It was my Mums birthday so i brought the kids up to see her. Still bloody rail replacement buses from Manchester as well Mad

Fair enough mate. Thought it was weird you coming back here apart from the footie with it being a shit tip and all that. Very Happy

I can't believe the replacement buses are still in place. It must be well past the deadline all this work.

Northern Rail are a complete joke.

We will be meeting up with friends in a couple of weeks time and I can only hope we aren't affected by this as they just take forever.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think that a lot of the Pubs and Bars in the Town Centre ought to just stop selling Beer and sell bags of glue instead. Say knock out each bag of glue for £1.50. If it takes off then perhaps a few small businesses can start manufacturing proper ` sniffing glue ` to sell to the Pubs wholesale, via draymen. This would create jobs in the manufacturing zones and there is room for some `artisan glue`, maybe with different flavours such as mint.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:I think that a lot of the Pubs and Bars in the Town Centre ought to just stop selling Beer and sell bags of glue instead. Say knock out each bag of glue for £1.50. If it takes off then perhaps a few small businesses can start manufacturing proper ` sniffing glue ` to sell to the Pubs wholesale, via draymen. This would create jobs in the manufacturing zones and there is room for some `artisan glue`, maybe with different flavours such as mint.
They could sell Blu Tack as a chewable starter glue.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

boltonbonce wrote:
sunlight wrote:I think that a lot of the Pubs and Bars in the Town Centre ought to just stop selling Beer and sell bags of glue instead. Say knock out each bag of glue for £1.50. If it takes off then perhaps a few small businesses can start manufacturing proper ` sniffing glue ` to sell to the Pubs wholesale, via draymen. This would create jobs in the manufacturing zones and there is room for some `artisan glue`, maybe with different flavours such as mint.
They could sell Blu Tack as a chewable starter glue.

That is quite industrious. Weatherspoons can pioneer it perhaps, with a `happy hour` on a Sunday Morning.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Too many pies.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It’s no wonder we have so many Greggs in Bolton.

Fatty Morris must have requested them to fulfil his huge appetite!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We went in to Manchester yesterday and the first thing my Daughter said was why are there so many Greggs? Us Northerners love a pie or pasty  Very Happy

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:We went in to Manchester yesterday and the first thing my Daughter said was why are there so many Greggs? Us Northerners love a pie or pasty  Very Happy

I regularly travel to Leeds for work and walk past 7 Greggs during my 12-minute walk from the station to the office.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Shopping at Greggs used to be a sort of siegfried line of absolute poverty in Bolton. One of my friends once appeared from a Greggs shop and presented moi-meme with a red hot bag that was once white but by the time it had travelled to the bench outside the bag had turned into a sort of celothane looking plastic than paper. I was going to ring the Police on her for trying to poison me.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum