Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Changing britain’s reputation abroad

Changing britain’s reputation abroad

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Fri Nov 16 2018, 03:09

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
One thing that has been quite apparent on this trip is how willing the Germans, Dutch, french - and perhaps surprisingly the Swiss and Scandinavians - have been to laugh at brexit. 

We used to have a reputation for not being able to handle our drink, exhibitionism and getting battered In fights that we start (apart from when the Russians battered us as they started it) but now it seems to be changing - being British is becoming synonymous with being thick.

Anyone else experienced foreigners suggesting brexit is the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.?

2 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sat Nov 17 2018, 09:53

Dunkels King

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@wanderlust wrote:One thing that has been quite apparent on this trip is how willing the Germans, Dutch, french - and perhaps surprisingly the Swiss and Scandinavians - have been to laugh at brexit. 

We used to have a reputation for not being able to handle our drink, exhibitionism and getting battered In fights that we start (apart from when the Russians battered us as they started it) but now it seems to be changing - being British is becoming synonymous with being thick.

Anyone else experienced foreigners suggesting brexit is the equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face.?

Everyone I work with, and I mean everyone, still cannot believe Brexit is actually happening. Let's not forget, if you are Theresa (millionaire) May, or Boris (millionaire) Johnson, or Nigel (millionaire) Farage etc, it will not impact you as much as a normal person, if at all because you will always know someone who can give you some easy job and keep you earning a big wedge of cash. The other post about Austerity and Poverty sums it up. Basically the Elitist idiots who somehow "run" the UK really do not give a shit about anyone other than Corporates who keep them in the lifestyle they are accustomed to through either having places on the board, or "consulting" or brown envelopes full of 50 pound notes (allegedly). When I read the report it made me think of what it must have been like 100's of years ago when you had no middle class, only those with money ie Royality and those associated with them or with the Church, and Peasants. It can only get worse as well.

3 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sat Nov 17 2018, 09:55

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
There are some happy souls around this morning.

4 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sun Nov 18 2018, 17:05

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@Dunkels King wrote:

Everyone I work with, and I mean everyone, still cannot believe Brexit is actually happening. Let's not forget, if you are Theresa (millionaire) May, or Boris (millionaire) Johnson, or Nigel (millionaire) Farage etc, it will not impact you as much as a normal person, if at all because you will always know someone who can give you some easy job and keep you earning a big wedge of cash. The other post about Austerity and Poverty sums it up. Basically the Elitist idiots who somehow "run" the UK really do not give a shit about anyone other than Corporates who keep them in the lifestyle they are accustomed to through either having places on the board, or "consulting" or brown envelopes full of 50 pound notes (allegedly). When I read the report it made me think of what it must have been like 100's of years ago when you had no middle class, only those with money ie Royality and those associated with them or with the Church, and Peasants. It can only get worse as well.
DK, pleased to see that you didn't specify too many names, as such people are rife in the UK. They consist of all party politicians, and many over-paid board chairmen. 
One thing I would say though, is that the Labour politicians are creaming a living off the rest of us, whilst hoodwinking many by claiming to be standing up for our rights.

5 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sun Nov 18 2018, 17:06

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Having said that, in all honesty, the same could be said of the Tories.

6 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sun Nov 18 2018, 21:16

finlaymcdanger

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@gloswhite wrote:Having said that, in all honesty, the same could be said of the Tories.

They're almost as bad as each other. The majority of these privileged, disproportionately wealthy, privately educated graduates can not and will never understand, let alone truly represent 99% of the people in the UK. The entire system is an outdated sham and there isn't one of the fuckers that I consider fit to represent me.

Cameron, Johnson, Gove and May deserve to be paraded naked through the streets of Britain and forced to live out the rest of their lives in poverty. Corbyn is nothing but an embarrassment to the Labour Party and deserving of no better. Self serving wankers the lot of them.

They can shove their Brexit up their arse.

7 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Sun Nov 18 2018, 21:57

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
When you look across the political spectrum, from left to right, the level of mediocrity is staggering. This must be one of the worst crops of politicians to infest parliament for decades.
If you got some of them round the table to debate, the table would leave in embarrassment.

8 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 02:02

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
If it makes you feel better, it is the same across the pond.  We have the liar-in-chief with his hand on the button.

9 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 08:20

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I remember ted heath crowing about finally getting us into the common market after Harold wilson’s failed attempts to get us in which had been blocked by the French.
How times have changed.

10 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 12:35

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
All this arguing and self flagellation of the UK and its politicians isn't very nice, but nobody seems to be bothered by the treatment we have received from the Europeans. I honestly believe that the way they have behaved is a real disgrace. Looking after your own is one thing, but doing what they have done to a major partner is despicable. 100 years after the end of the first World War, and all they can think about is how to punish us for wanting to be free of their rules. 
I think they should be ashamed of themselves.

11 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 12:52

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Well said Glos. :clap:

12 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 13:10

finlaymcdanger

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
@observer wrote:If it makes you feel better, it is the same across the pond.  We have the liar-in-chief with his hand on the button.

I do sympathise but at least there is an end point that will see Trump gone, even if he does get another term. Whereas Brexit, if it does go ahead, won't come and go, it will likely be around for at least a couple of generations.

Despicable as the man is, at least America will be able to look back and laugh at the clown within the next few years.

13 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 13:17

rammywhite

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@gloswhite wrote:All this arguing and self flagellation of the UK and its politicians isn't very nice, but nobody seems to be bothered by the treatment we have received from the Europeans. I honestly believe that the way they have behaved is a real disgrace. Looking after your own is one thing, but doing what they have done to a major partner is despicable. 100 years after the end of the first World War, and all they can think about is how to punish us for wanting to be free of their rules. 
I think you have a point there Glos. When all of this kicked off a few years ago Hollande and Merkel had the opportunity to shift their stance a little to make life easier for Cameron. It was their intransigence then which contributed to the problem.
Since then they have gone out of their way to make it as hard as possible for us- mainly to discourage other peripheral players from leaving. They were determined to make an example of us.
They have made it so difficult that I'm not sure that I would want to remain  in the EU with them. It irks  me that poorer, heavily subsidised East European states which have joined recently have a say in what we do. We've been paying large amounts to them for years.
I was a convinced remainer but I'm  slowly changing my mind  to a Brexiteer.
So I'm going the opposite way to the way that a Peoples Vote is expected to go. There could be a bigger majority to Leave if they go for another referendum

14 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 13:24

rammywhite

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@gloswhite wrote:All this arguing and self flagellation of the UK and its politicians isn't very nice, but nobody seems to be bothered by the treatment we have received from the Europeans. I honestly believe that the way they have behaved is a real disgrace. Looking after your own is one thing, but doing what they have done to a major partner is despicable. 100 years after the end of the first World War, and all they can think about is how to punish us for wanting to be free of their rules. 
I think you have a point there Glos. When all of this kicked off a few years ago Hollande and Merkel had the opportunity to shift their stance a little to make life easier for Cameron. It was their intransigence then which contributed to the problem.
Since then they have gone out of their way to make it as hard as possible for us- mainly to discourage other peripheral players from leaving. They were determined to make an example of us.
They have made it so difficult that I'm not sure that I would want to remain  in the EU with them. It irks  me that poorer, heavily subsidised East European states which have joined recently have a say in what we do. We've been paying large amounts to them for years.
I was a convinced remainer but I'm  slowly changing my mind  to a Brexiteer.
So I'm going the opposite way to the way that a Peoples Vote is expected to go. There could be a bigger majority to Leave if they go for another referendum

15 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 13:45

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@finlaymcdanger wrote:
@observer wrote:If it makes you feel better, it is the same across the pond.  We have the liar-in-chief with his hand on the button.

I do sympathise but at least there is an end point that will see Trump gone, even if he does get another term. Whereas Brexit, if it does go ahead, won't come and go, it will likely be around for at least a couple of generations.

Despicable as the man is, at least America will be able to look back and laugh at the clown within the next few years.
Unfortunately the damage will last for 20 years as he stacks the court with far right lifetime appointees.  Our country is as divided as you are with Brexit.  Those wounds do not heal quickly.  For the past 50 years we had legislators who could cross the aisle and work bi-partisan with the opposition... today, both sides are adamant and no one talks to each other... very similar to the way Trump's 37% doesn't move off his fear campaign. The same is true for Europe... fear guides the large minority.

16 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 14:01

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
What's with the Republican obsession with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Obs?

Seems like a fine young woman to me.

17 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 14:20

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
@boltonbonce wrote:What's with the Republican obsession with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Obs?

Seems like a fine young woman to me.
Far left ideals with no credible way of paying for those ideas.  Her view of the world is limited and often misspeaks about issues and areas she has no known knowledge of.  Her win was a surprise to everyone and shows the discontent with both political parties in America.  The incoming House of Representatives is a fresh look at diversity... with many more women among the newcomers.  The disparity between this group and the 78-80-year old leadership will be a contrast to watch these next two years.

18 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 14:37

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

19 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 16:59

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Which rules are you thinking of glos? The ones banning bendy bananas and prawn cocktail crisps or the ones banning hormone stuffed beef and chlorine flavoured chicken?

Last edited by xmiles on Mon Nov 19 2018, 17:03; edited 1 time in total

20 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 17:00

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I voted leave purely to avoid straight bananas.

21 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 17:57

Cajunboy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Bloody foreigners !!!

22 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Mon Nov 19 2018, 20:08

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Any examples of us being badly treated though? Seems they've been pretty clear since the start as to what their red lines would be - and stuck to them.

23 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 11:49

Dunkels King

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@T.R.O.Y wrote:

Any examples of us being badly treated though? Seems they've been pretty clear since the start as to what their red lines would be - and stuck to them.

Have to agree T.R.O.Y as the UK asked to leave. It is up to the UK to come up with a way to leave. The ball is completely in the hands of the UK. If they think they are being treated badly (the UK), why don't they just say to the EU "goodbye, we are gone, not interested in any deal" and go ? For info as an example regarding one of the big issues, the UK took 12000 refugees in the time Germany took 1.4 million. I heard nothing about the EU forcing the UK to take any more.

24 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 12:59

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
DK, as a result of taking 1.4 million immigrants Germany is now in turmoil, with Merkles party floundering, and lots of civil unrest in some areas. One comment I've heard a number of times, including from my German brother-in-law, is that she only took the immigrants because she was trying to head off a probable shortfall in workers a few years up the line. Not very altruistic.

25 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 12:59

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@xmiles wrote:

Which rules are you thinking of glos? The ones banning bendy bananas and prawn cocktail crisps or the ones banning hormone stuffed beef and chlorine flavoured chicken?
Come on XM, you're better than this.

26 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 13:02

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
@T.R.O.Y wrote:

Its supposed to be a negotiation.

27 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 13:05

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I can't believe there are now TWO Brexit threads.

About time the mods stepped in.

28 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 13:09

gloswhite

Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Nat, its the same as Brexit itself, and neither will meet in the middle.  Very Happy

29 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 13:26

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@gloswhite wrote:
@xmiles wrote:

Come on XM, you're better than this.

The serious point I am trying to make is that there is far too much talk about these allegedly onerous rules being "imposed" on us but very little evidence of any real damage being done by those rules that we adopt. Part of the problem is that we don't always use the rules very sensibly. For example we can send foreign criminals back to their own countries but we seldom do. We don't stop people who own fishing rights from selling them to foreigners unlike most other EU member states. And so on.

30 Re: Changing britain’s reputation abroad on Tue Nov 20 2018, 15:05

Dunkels King

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@gloswhite wrote:DK, as a result of taking 1.4 million immigrants Germany is now in turmoil, with Merkles party floundering, and lots of civil unrest in some areas. One comment I've heard a number of times, including from my German brother-in-law, is that she only took the immigrants because she was trying to head off a probable shortfall in workers a few years up the line. Not very altruistic.

Don't believe everything you hear or read. At the start there was a lot of concern about the influx of immigrants. That has died down except for in areas that hated all foreigners anyway. Most of these places like Dresden and Chemnitz etc have always been distrustful of any outsideres. My neighbours are from somewhere near Magdeburg in the old East Germany. They moved down to Bavaria and still don't like foreigners, despite the fact that in effect that is what they are as Bavaria doesn't think of itself as Germany Smile 

Where I live is about 1km from an old Airbase that was actually used as a processing centre for immigrants. Consequently there are thousands living in the general area now. The biggest complaint is not about the number of immigrants, rather about where they came from because it is pretty clear that around 90% of them have never set foot in Syria for a start.

Yes, Merkel made a big mistake, but actually it is not the disaster everyone thinks. You see a lot in the press about what's been going on with regard to immigrants, but it is nothing like as bad as it was a year ago. It takes a long time for Germans to trust people anyway. I worked with some guys for years who wouldn't even acknowledge the fact I had said good morning to them. Ignorant bastards is what I thought of them, but most are OK. It will never change in places like Dresden because most of the older former Eastern Germans like to complain about anything and everything. As for boosting the work force, that was never going to work anyway. I can honestly say that maybe 1% of the new wave of immigrants (if that) are working. It's hard enough to get a job in Germany as an EU Citizen with all the hoops you have to jump through (acceptance of your education and certificates etc) so what chance do the immigrants have, as all the really low skilled jobs are already the domain of Turkish people over here.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum