Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Changing britain’s reputation abroad

+8
karlypants
observer
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
Dunkels King
wanderlust
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Met a young German girl who is backpacking around south east Asia on her own and asked her if it was safe in Vietnam, Cambodia,Laos and here in Thailand and she said she feels much safer here than in her own home  town where groups of Somalis and Syrians hang around on street corners and have threatening behaviour especially towards females. (Paraphrased)
I’m all for taking in refugees but only on the condition that appalling outdated attitudes to women are dropped and some attempt at cultural and social integration is made.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

In the overall worldly scheme of things I think our general reputation worldwide is one of positivity. We can all consider which bits are newsworthy, from Brit tourists in the Spanish Costas to the excellent work carried out through most poor countries in Africa, relations with stubborn diplomacies such as Russia and China and education, science and research in many disciplines around the globe. The media in this country generally talk us down, but lots of countries I have visited have been mainly positive about our international standing.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:In the overall worldly scheme of things I think our general reputation worldwide is one of positivity. We can all consider which bits are newsworthy, from Brit tourists in the Spanish Costas to the excellent work carried out through most poor countries in Africa, relations with stubborn diplomacies such as Russia and China and education, science and research in many disciplines around the globe. The media in this country generally talk us down, but lots of countries I have visited have been mainly positive about our international standing.
I think that’s true in a lot of places but we do have a very dodgy history as regards how we got to the top in the first place via e.g. controlling the world opium trade, colonialism, slavery and exploitation so not everyone thinks we’re great.

gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:
gloswhite wrote:All this arguing and self flagellation of the UK and its politicians isn't very nice, but nobody seems to be bothered by the treatment we have received from the Europeans. I honestly believe that the way they have behaved is a real disgrace. Looking after your own is one thing, but doing what they have done to a major partner is despicable. 100 years after the end of the first World War, and all they can think about is how to punish us for wanting to be free of their rules. 
I think they should be ashamed of themselves.

Any examples of us being badly treated though? Seems they've been pretty clear since the start as to what their red lines would be - and stuck to them.
Its supposed to be a negotiation.

We were told the EU’s red lines before the vote even happened, nothing has changed. I don’t think it’s in any way fair to say we’ve been punished by them. They’ve been clear as to what leaving the EU entails, the politicians who championed it have not. 

I’d be aiming my criticism at the Tory party if I was you, May promised to stick to her red lines or walk away, it’s whats in her manifesto. She’s basically lied to her entire voting base.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum