Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Gary Speed...

Gary Speed...

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 11:52

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Its a year to the day when this news broke...

http://news.sky.com/story/903606/wales-manager-gary-speed-found-hanged

Whatever the circumstances surrounding it, or the reasons he did it, reasons we will probably never know and ones im not interested in hearing if im honest, cannot detract from the fact he was one of the most well liked players, pundit and manager of his era.

Hope he found peace from whatever it was he was running from.

RIP Gary.

2 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:04

Reebok Trotter

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I concur.

3 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:08

aaron_bwfc

Too true RR, I doubt we will know what happened until his children get older and they are old enough to understand.

RIP Gary, gone but not forgotten.

4 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:09

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
RIP Gary

5 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:43

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Good player for Bolton, nice guy by all accounts. But took the easy way out I'm afraid.

6 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:48

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
aaron_bwfc wrote:Too true RR, I doubt we will know what happened until his children get older and they are old enough to understand.

RIP Gary, gone but not forgotten.

I'm not really bothered why he did it to be honest.

All I know is, that he must have been going though something truly hellish to want to do that in the first place.

To kill yourself must be hard enough, but to hang yourself (cant imagine it being the best way to go) and leave a wife and 2 children behind, it must have been a better option than living with or dealing with whatever was on his mind.

If the rumour about a certain paper making threats to 'out' him are true, then I believe the editor responsible should be charged with 'unintentional manslaughter' (or somthing like that... if such a crime exists)

7 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:50

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:Good player for Bolton, nice guy by all accounts. But took the easy way out I'm afraid.

Knew you would come out with your usual fucking tripe...

8 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:53

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

I realise suicide is an emotive subject, but I think people who take their own lives and leave their body for their family to find are scumbags of the highest order.

9 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:55

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

I realise suicide is an emotive subject, but I think people who take their own lives and leave their body for their family to find are scumbags of the highest order.

Admins, can we have a troll smiley please to use for a thread that Mr Whittam is trolling please?

Just to save us typing, we could just post the smiley and be done with it...

10 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:56

Hipster_Nebula

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
really really not the place for it.

disgusting.

as usual the mods will give this kind of shit a free ride.

11 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:58

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Do you not think it would have been difficult for him?

He was obviously in such a state of panic and distress to do something like that!

either that, or he was, under the skin VERY depressed - you know, that illness that does not exist according to you ...

12 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:59

Reebok Trotter

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

If the rumour about a certain paper making threats to 'out' him are true, then I believe the editor responsible should be charged with 'unintentional manslaughter' (or somthing like that... if such a crime exists)

The rumour was never about 'outing' him as there was never any question as to his sexuality. My understanding is that it involved a story going back sometime where Speed may have been the innocent victim. Another Welsh footballer, Alan Davies committed suicide in 1992. Investigative journalists have found a tangible link which is easy to find on the internet.

Personally, I like to keep an open mind whenever people take their own lives. They must be at a really low point and unless you have been there then it's hard to comment with any accuracy.

13 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:00

Hipster_Nebula

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't bite RR.

Nat made similar comments on a tribute thread to him on BA, really tasteless, and not funny in the slightest.

14 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:02

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Do you not think it would have been difficult for him?

He was obviously in such a state of panic and distress to do something like that!

either that, or he was, under the skin VERY depressed - you know, that illness that does not exist according to you ...

I accept all that to an extent, but if you read in the paper tonight that some randon bloke had hung himself knowing full well his kids could find him swinging from the rafters you'd think he was a twat.

That's an awful thing to do to your family, just because you were a bit unhappy or some embarrassing news was about to be revealed.

15 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:05

aaron_bwfc

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Sorry but you are bang out of order with the scumbags comment, I had a family member who did the same thing and don't appreciate people saying disgusting comments like that.

I appreciate you might not agree with suicide but to call them scumbags is just wrong.

16 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:07

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Don't bite RR.

Nat made similar comments on a tribute thread to him on BA, really tasteless, and not funny in the slightest.

I made similar comments because it's what I believe.

I fully understand people wanting to die when they have a disease or no quality of life, but to kill yourself in the prime of your life is a sin.

Even then I can accept it if you kill yourself without exposing your family to the shock of coming home to find you dead.

I don't understand why anyone would find that acceptable.

17 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:08

Hipster_Nebula

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
a bit of tact wouldn't go a miss nat.

If you want to discuss the nature of suicide start a thread.

18 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:09

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
aaron_bwfc wrote:

Sorry but you are bang out of order with the scumbags comment, I had a family member who did the same thing and don't appreciate people saying disgusting comments like that.

I appreciate you might not agree with suicide but to call them scumbags is just wrong.

Sorry you feel that way, but I'm just being honest. Without turning into Amos I have experience of this and, believe me, there is no worse experience.

Perhaps scumbags was the wrong word though, let's go with "selfish".

19 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:09

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I accept all that to an extent, but if you read in the paper tonight that some randon bloke had hung himself knowing full well his kids could find him swinging from the rafters you'd think he was a twat.

no I wouldn't...

I feel sorry for him. Like I say, to do that must mean you feel you have no option left. are you really suggesting that ANY parent would take the option of leaving their kids without a parent lightly? Not to mention the mental scarring it would cause and leave their spouse as a single parent...

I dont belive for one second he took the easy way out, he had a reason for doing what he did and it seemed a better option.

Maybe he felt that him being dead would be better for his family due to something that had happened, maybe he was suffering from a severe mental illness and thus can be absolved of any blame anyway.

all I know is, anyone who commits suicide, especially in such a way as GS did, do so because they feel either panicked to the point of suicide (very much like the guy who shot himself in the film titanic - bad comparison I know) or they are severely mentally disturbed...

either way, its nothing but sad.

20 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:10

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hipster_Nebula wrote:a bit of tact wouldn't go a miss nat.

I just find another RIP thread for this guy a bit much. It was his choice to die, why are we feeling sorry for someone who chose to do this?

21 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:12

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:a bit of tact wouldn't go a miss nat.

I just find another RIP thread for this guy a bit much. It was his choice to die, why are we feeling sorry for someone who chose to do this?

I'm not posting on this thread anymore. I've said my bit. your just going to keep trolling now, so il let you get on with it...

22 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:13

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

no I wouldn't...

I feel sorry for him. Like I say, to do that must mean you feel you have no option left. are you really suggesting that ANY parent would take the option of leaving their kids without a parent lightly? Not to mention the mental scarring it would cause and leave their spouse as a single parent...

I dont belive for one second he took the easy way out, he had a reason for doing what he did and it seemed a better option.

Maybe he felt that him being dead would be better for his family due to something that had happened, maybe he was suffering from a severe mental illness and thus can be absolved of any blame anyway.

all I know is, anyone who commits suicide, especially in such a way as GS did, do so because they feel either panicked to the point of suicide (very much like the guy who shot himself in the film titanic - bad comparison I know) or they are severely mentally disturbed...

either way, its nothing but sad.

I'm sure he felt he had a valid reason for doing what he did. Although I suspect when the truth comes out it won't seem worth killing yourself over. Few things are.

And I'm not saying he took the decision lightly, but he chose to kill himself at home where he must have known there was a good chance his kids would find his body. I'm sorry, but what sort of human being exposes a child to that sort of scene when they return from school?

23 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:17

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

I'm not posting on this thread anymore. I've said my bit. your just going to keep trolling now, so il let you get on with it...

Brilliant answer. Someone has an alternative view so rather than debate it you run off like a big girl.

I suspect it's because deep down you feel the same way.

24 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:19

aaron_bwfc

Natasha Whittam wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:

Sorry you feel that way, but I'm just being honest. Without turning into Amos I have experience of this and, believe me, there is no worse experience.

Perhaps scumbags was the wrong word though, let's go with "selfish".

Can't argue with the first line there is nothing worse, I was only young at the time but still affects me and my family to this day.

Yes scumbags is the wrong word IMO, scumbags are people like drug dealers and murderers not suicide victims.

25 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:27

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Brilliant answer. Someone has an alternative view so rather than debate it you run off like a big girl.

I suspect it's because deep down you feel the same way.

Fine...

Like you do? You have ran away from several threads recently were you run out of trolling ideas and simply leave the thread to run its course...

your nothing but a WUM, a pretty good one, but a total WUM and a troll. I dont think anything you post is actually 'your' opinion. You simply post what will provoke a reaction, when you get one I assume you must get some form of sadistic pleasure out of it.

why do you refer to it as 'your work' as well... strange.

26 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:28

Reebok_Rebel

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I'm sure he felt he had a valid reason for doing what he did. Although I suspect when the truth comes out it won't seem worth killing yourself over. Few things are.

I feel the truth (if it can be called 'truth') if any, is better of staying were it is if im honest Nat...

27 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 14:28

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Fine...

Like you do? You have ran away from several threads recently were you run out of trolling ideas and simply leave the thread to run its course...

your nothing but a WUM, a pretty good one, but a total WUM and a troll. I dont think anything you post is actually 'your' opinion. You simply post what will provoke a reaction, when you get one I assume you must get some form of sadistic pleasure out of it.

why do you refer to it as 'your work' as well... strange.

I won't joke about on a subject like suicide. The opinions I have given here are all my own. I suspect by the lack of people jumping in to condemn me that most feel the same way I do, they just don't want to say it.

28 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:26

Sgt. Bash

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I'm not going to be drawn into a long debate about suicide, all I will say is it is NOT the easy way out. If it was, hundreds of thousands of people would kill themselves every day. To take your own life is the hard way out. It must take more guts, balls, courage than anything else to actually go through with it. Leaving a mess behind for others to find is horrible, yes, but it's not an easy way out and as others have said, Gary must have had no doubts that it was the ONLY option available to him. Such a sad situation! That's all I will say on that.

RIP Speedo. Gone, but never forgotten!

29 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:33

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Lt. Boon wrote:all I will say is it is NOT the easy way out.

A bloke gets a girl pregnant and then does a runner a few weeks after the baby is born, leaving her to bring up the child on her own. No one would deny that is taking the easy way out.

A family gets into massive debt and can't pay any bills. The husband does a runner leaving his wife and three kids to face life without a roof over their heads. No one would deny that is taking the easy way out.

A guy hangs himself at the family home leaving his wife and kids to sort his mess out. No one should deny that is taking the easy way out.

30 Re: Gary Speed... on Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:40

Keegan

It is unfortunate that he took his life and I understand Nat's view that he should have done so where his kids were not likely to see the end result. I don't know how much reason and logic can be applied to the decision to end your life, however. What's done is done and I will always remember him not for his death, but for his life.

R.I.P. Gary Speed. Like a Star @ heaven

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum