Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Falklands - Do You Care?

+8
Mr Magoo
gloswhite
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
Quent
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:41

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

There appears to be increasing tension between the UK and Argentina as the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War approaches.

Am I the only one who thinks it's time to hand them to Argentina and forget all about them? In the big scheme of things is it really important, is it worth going to war again?

2The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:57

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

What's the big deal over the Falklands anyway?

They are not something I have ever studied but surely no island is really worth all this much trouble?

3The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That there's some corner of a foreign field. That is forever England.

The place is miles away in the south Atlantic and is only fit for raising sheep and fishing. If we abandon it and let the Argies take over we do a great disservice to all the soldiers who lost their lives defending its sovereignty all those years ago.

Lest we forget............

4The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:43

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Reebok Trotter wrote:If we abandon it and let the Argies take over we do a great disservice to all the soldiers who lost their lives defending its sovereignty all those years ago

True, and no doubt the stance the politicians will take.

But you can't keep defending something just because many soldiers died 30 years ago, or where does it all end? A nuclear war over a few sheep?

5The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:48

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

But there are some decent oil fields in that area which comes under the jurisdiction of the Falklands !!!!

6The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:But there are some decent oil fields in that area which comes under the jurisdiction of the Falklands !!!!

There is indeed! The Falklands is a British colony. The people all speak the Queens english, not spanish.

It's a bit like Morocco claiming the Canary Isle belong to them because they are closer to the islands than Spain.

7The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:28

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I'm not so sure people would be as keen to defend it if they had to fly out there themselves.

8The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 15:11

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The people who live in the Falkland Islands, by and large, wish to remain a British colony. So long as that remains the case, we have a duty to protect their right to British sovereignty. It's got nothing to do with keeping the islands themselves. It's about people.

9The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 15:49

the rights of a few shouldnt mean the rest of us have to go to war. if they want to be british then let them move here

10The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:06

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear. In any case, you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

11The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:17

Il Padrino wrote:you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

they're not invading, they simply want the islands for themselves.

if they'd invaded i guess we'd have to defend the falklands, but as they haven't, perhaps a bit of common sense should prevail here - give them the islands, preventing a pointless war.

but of course our government will take your attitude and thousands of men and women will end up dead.

12The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:21

Il Padrino wrote:I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear.

thanks. no im just someone who has seen what war can do, and defending a few people and there sheep is not worth the death it will cause if that makes me a troll then ill get back under me bridge

13The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:24

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Il Padrino wrote:I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear. In any case, you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

You're debating with all of the above.

My dad fought in the Falklands, even so this petty point scoring is pathetic IMO.

14The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:30

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

im no wum

15The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

You're probably right, Hipster. I just don't think someone asking "why should the rest of us go to war?" and suggesting "they can move here" is being sensible.

What if some other nation made a claim to islands closer to home, or part of the British mainland? It's just typical of the I'm-alright-Jack attitude in this country. The Falkland Islanders are British citizens and they deserve the protection of the British government and if necessary, its armed forces.

16The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:40

its the bigger picture im looking at.

if you really think it's potentially worth losing thousands of lives and starting world war 3 over a handful of people you really are as silly as the men who run our government.

17The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sir Nut's Dad wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

im no wum

Yes you are.

Not a problem though, every board needs one or two or three or four.

18The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:59

so a wum is someone who disagrees with you

19The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ok, maybe you're not strictly a "wum." But you know what i mean.

but come on "sir nuts dad" admit you can type in perfect english. That would be a start, no need for the spelling mistakes.

20The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:05

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

not-so-plain-jayne wrote:its the bigger picture im looking at.

if you really think it's potentially worth losing thousands of lives and starting world war 3 over a handful of people you really are as silly as the men who run our government.

Well, if you really think thousands of lives would be lost and world war 3 is coming over the Falkland Islands, I'll take no lectures on silliness from you, thanks.

Even if you're right to view the Falkland Islanders as a handful of people, and even if we were heading to war with Argentina over them - which we aren't - then fewer than 1,000 people died in the last Falklands War, so where you're getting the idea that thousands would die in another such war, I have no idea.

If people declare war on you, you have to fight back. If you think that is in any way silly, then you're completely out of touch with the realities of international affairs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum