Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager

+10
Hipster_Nebula
Copper Dragon
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
doffcocker
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
terenceanne
xmiles
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 11:26

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

2Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 11:31

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Not a Hughes fan myself ..... dirty player and a nasty temper as a manager. We can swap places with Stoke next season......nice.
On an unrelated note: Stuart Holden came on for 15 minutes for the USA last night. He didn't have time to do much but a good sign for us.

3Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 11:55

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Excellent.

4Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 12:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is a truly amazing appointment, incredible.

I can't stand Pulis but he did a fair job at Stoke. I get that they want a change of direction in terms of football, but to employ Hughes who has been a disaster in recent years doesn't make sense.

It seems Chairman would rather employ experienced Premier League failures than risk a successful Championship manager. Mental.

Last edited by Natasha Whittam on Thu May 30 2013, 12:33; edited 1 time in total

5Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 12:31

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Can't get my head round this one, he has done average jobs at best wherever he has been and even at City with all the money could only get them a 6-7th finish.

Why do chairmen keep going for this clown.

6Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:03

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Football is very fickle. Hughes would have been viewed an ambitious appointment for a club like Stoke before he had a shite year at QPR.

7Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:05

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Oh Dear! Very Happy

Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager I5ojn8

8Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:09

I think it will turn out quite well for Stoke, he did well at Blackburn and Wales, his real problems come when he's needed to spend a load of money and build a team. He doesn't raelly have to do that at Stoke he already has the basis of a good team he just needs to add a decent striker and some good wingers.

He won't drastically change the style, all he needs to do is lift the players and add a bit of quality going forward. I think they'll do well together.

9Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall Natasha had some nice things to say about MH when we were on the hunt for a manager. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.
Not a fan of Hughes but the radio mentioned he did a good job at Fulham.
Also said he'd be likely to bring in all his "trusted" staff at every level of the club, so it looks like a complete overhaul at Stoke.
What I don't understand is how he got a 3 year contract when Pulis was on a rolling 1 year contract.
Despite his "old Bolton" style, Pulis has a lot of admirers in the game and should get a job fairly quickly IMO.

10Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:12

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

You do wonder how some clubs go about appointing new managers.

'Right we've worked the list down to 50 possible managers and one of them is my hairdresser'

'Here's the pin and blindfold....... may the force be with you'

11Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I think it will turn out quite well for Stoke, he did well at Blackburn and Wales, his real problems come when he's needed to spend a load of money and build a team. He doesn't raelly have to do that at Stoke he already has the basis of a good team he just needs to add a decent striker and some good wingers.

He won't drastically change the style, all he needs to do is lift the players and add a bit of quality going forward. I think they'll do well together.

Stoke have an ageing team with no real youth policy (according to their main forum), hence why they can't understand the appointment of Hughes who is clueless at building teams.

12Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always mentioned by our fans when we had a vacancy!

Opinions seem to have shifted some what.

(mentioned alongside get Sam Allaryce back/phil brwn wld be gud)

13Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Thu May 30 2013, 13:22

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:I think it will turn out quite well for Stoke, he did well at Blackburn and Wales, his real problems come when he's needed to spend a load of money and build a team. He doesn't raelly have to do that at Stoke he already has the basis of a good team he just needs to add a decent striker and some good wingers.

Stoke have an ageing team with no real youth policy (according to their main forum), hence why they can't understand the appointment of Hughes who is clueless at building teams.

Ye I would have thought they'd have brought somebody through who would use their academy. But their team isn't that old, only Crouch and Etherington are over 30 in their best starting line up.

14Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Sun Jun 02 2013, 13:17

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Read today that hughes was begining to think he'd lost it as a manager, did he ever have it in the first place?

15Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 15:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought this was a joke. Stoke have appointed Paul Lambert as manager. The same manager who failed at, well, everywhere.

What are they thinking? This story has the most predictable outcome since Newcastle appointed Steve McLaren.

I'm all for Prem teams taking a chance on lower league managers, but surely you choose a successful one.

16Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 15:55

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A strange choice i thought and i bet Stoke fans are less than impressed. He was at least 3rd choice as well after Flores and O'Neill so sounds like desperation time to me.

17Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 16:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They couldn't tempt Coyle away from Ross County.

18Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 16:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i see he's doing his usual stand-up job up there, bottom of the table, at least they'll be good at table tennis.

19Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 16:55

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Paddy Power yet again have already paid out on all bets for them to be relegated. lol!

20Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Empty Re: Stoke Appoint Hughes Manager Mon Jan 15 2018, 19:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:Paddy Power yet again have already paid out on all bets for them to be relegated. lol!
Laughing Another successful mission for Agent Coyle!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum