Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would You Take Megson Back?

+9
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
Lofty_Love
largehat
Hipster_Nebula
Sluffy
xmiles
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 09:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ok, so Gary Megson is back on the market. He's hated by the majority of Bolton fans with good reason.

But would you take him back for the remaining games of the season? Would he have a better chance of keeping us up than Owen Coyle?

2Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:32

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Would he have a better chance of keeping us up than Owen Coyle?

No. He struggled enough with a team that cost him £45m to build. He was just as tactically inept as Coyle and would be struggling just as much if not more than him on the budget he's had to work with.

3Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:36

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I know this is only a hypothetical question but no. Even if this was a real possibility I don't think he would be capable of motivating the players and his tactics and substitutions were not exactly inspirational. Plus I still hate the bastard.

4Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:36

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fwiw I believe Megson has a far, far better footballing brain than Coyle (mind you even Micky Mouse has a better footballing brain than Coyle!).

Do I have faith in Coyle keeping us up - NO, do I think Megson would - yes I do.

Would he ever return - no - there's too much hatred from far too many fans towards him for that to ever happen.

5Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:42

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't be so stupid.

I'd rather have Lofty pick the team.

6Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 10:43

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:Fwiw I believe Megson has a far, far better footballing brain than Coyle (mind you even Micky Mouse has a better footballing brain than Coyle!).

Do I have faith in Coyle keeping us up - NO, do I think Megson would - yes I do.

Would he ever return - no - there's too much hatred from far too many fans towards him for that to ever happen.

I have no faith in Coyle keeping us up either. If we stay up it will be because three of the other four at the bottom are even more useless than us.

I don't see much evidence of Megson having "a better footballing brain" in his spending all that money and still doing so badly that even Gartside could see he needed to be sacked.

7Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:14

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Like him or not (and most Bolton fans do) at least when Megson put a team on the pitch, he sent them out there with a plan.

Usually it was with two defensive midfielders, Muamba and McCann, with width being supplied by the fullbacks (Steinsson in particular), and with the long ball from the back for Kevin Davies.

Not pretty, upset a lot of fans but it worked well enough - and I believe his points per game is still better than Coyle's is.

What actually is Coyle's game plan?

He plays all the time with two wingers - as that brought about more 'attacking' football - the stats show that we don't score goals - so that isn't working.

He has resisted playing two defensive mids in a 4-5-1 (Muamba and Reo-Coker) to accommodate two up front - but the goals against column shows that doesn't work either.

He consistently plays players out of their natural positions - ie Tuncay - why?

He had until very recently had Knight hoofing the long ball to two static strikers who regrettably have gone past their sell by date.

What sort of a game plan is that - and is it surprising that it as failed so miserably?

As for Megson turning a top of the table team to a relegation one whilst spending a fortune - well is there any point wasting my breath again?

For one last time the side that Allardyce had left was 'old' and had to be replaced - Speed, Campo, Stelios all more or less retired from playing football after they left us, Anelka was always going to be sold to balance the books, Nolan had lost form with us for about two tears until his sale to Newcastle, etc.

Megson got 'lucky' in a sense that he was there when the new Sky Premier deal came through - did he spend it well - I don't think so - but he had to get 'Premier' players in - and was there much better available at the time AND who wanted to come to Bolton?

At the end of the day Megson kept us up - and as far as I'm concerned would have kept us up in the same season that he was sacked.

Should he have gone - the majority of the fans ensured that his reign as manager had become untenable.

Was I pleased we got Coyle - yes - am I still - very much no - and I've been a no for a great deal longer than most posters on here.

Coyle has no footballing brain - that is patently obvious to all now - and that is a fundamental requirement of any manager at any level. If people think he will suddenly become good in the division below I think you will be in for a shock.

He may have been promoted with Burnley but he is a one trick pony tactics wise - and everyone now is aware of his one and only game plan - and know how to not only stop it - but to beat it too.

8Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:30

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

At the end of the day Megson kept us up - and as far as I'm concerned would have kept us up in the same season that he was sacked.
==

I would disagree with this and I think the vast majority would too - far more of a majority than want Coyle out now, for example.

By this point Megson's time was up. He HAD to go. He was taking us down. I don't know of a single fan who was angry he was sacked, even the ones who liked him accepted his time was up.

9Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Don't think I claimed that anyone was angry that he was sacked - and I accepted that he could no longer continue in the face of the pure hatred of what seemed like the large majority of Bolton fans.

As for keeping the club up in 2009/10 - Megson got 17 points from the first 18 games before he was sacked - and Coyle managed 18 points from his first 18 games in charge - there is no reason what so ever to believe why Megson could not have done the same in - indeed one could even argue that if Megson was sacked for underachievement - then why was Coyle not relieved of his duties too with an almost identical record?

(Only joking on this last point before you get the wrong end of the stick again!).

10Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 11:58

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think id rather eat my own face

11Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:08

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Don't think I claimed that anyone was angry that he was sacked - and I accepted that he could no longer continue in the face of the pure hatred of what seemed like the large majority of Bolton fans.

As for keeping the club up in 2009/10 - Megson got 17 points from the first 18 games before he was sacked - and Coyle managed 18 points from his first 18 games in charge - there is no reason what so ever to believe why Megson could not have done the same in - indeed one could even argue that if Megson was sacked for underachievement - then why was Coyle not relieved of his duties too with an almost identical record?

(Only joking on this last point before you get the wrong end of the stick again!).

Wow, talk about a patronising reply.

Lets see if I can top that.

Megson was sacked because
a) he was taking us down
b) he was a twat
c) he wasted all our money

Coyle
a) may be taking us down
b) isn't a twat
c) hasn't had any money

Do you understand what I am saying to you right now?

12Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

And you call me patronising!

I don't believe Megson was taking us down but I believe Coyle probably is.

I don't believe either of them was / is a twat - I think it was foolish of Megson to be critical of some of the clubs supporters - I think it is foolish of Coyle to be insanely upbeat of our performances - we all have eyes and can see for ourselves he's talking bullshit.

Megson had to spend to build the side - he got more wrong than he did right - Coyle spent what money was given to him - he got more wrong than he did right. No manager ever buys the right players for the right money every time.

Forgive me if you consider this post patronising too.

13Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:25

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I actually don't think it's possible for you and I have a reasonable discussion on this subject, Sluffy. I vehemently disagree with every word you have written, and I don't like the way you put your point across. You sound like someone wanting to continuously score points. I don't think you even picked up on the irony of my last post, the "lets see if I can top that" bit, so you're not even reading them properly. I'll leave it.

14Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Megson sucked the "life" out of Bolton. Even if his style of football ground out results I wouldn't want him back in a million years.

What Coyle has done attempted set up like Spurs with a squad the quality of Walsall. It's blind faith, but what do you expect, we know he's deeply religious.

15Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 12:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No.

And anyhoo I'm curious to see how OCs "long-term plan" works out given that the focus has been firmly on young players.

16Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 13:33

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I would probably give up my season ticket if that cunt came back here.

He only just kept us up with a half decent team with the likes of Taylor, Nolan and Diouf so I seriously doubt he or Coyle can do it with this sack of shit we currently have.

17Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 13:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No. He will never come back either. The board know that if they did appoint him again then no season tickets would be renewed. Mine included.

18Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 14:24

I wouldn't take him back, Owen has a long term plan.

19Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 14:52

i'd get rid of coyle tomorrow, but i wouldn't want mr megson - a horrible man.

20Would You Take Megson Back? Empty Re: Would You Take Megson Back? Thu Mar 01 2012, 14:56

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'd take Megson back in the summer as a scout. He's found us some decent talent.

Before anyone comes at me with Elmander, let me repeat: He's found us some decent talent.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum