Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Men Get Paternity Leave From Work?

+3
aaron_bwfc
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a bit silly really isn't it. For centuries women have been having babies and coping quite easily in those early days - but now men are getting time off to "help" them.

Surely it's just an excuse for a holiday?

A chap at my company has informed me he is taking paternity leave when his sprog drops, I've informed him that it will be the last decision he makes if he goes through with it.

He already has a written warning for being part of the office sex club so it won't be difficult to get rid.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

By law you cannot refuse Paternity Leave!!!

And with suggesting that its the last thing he does for your company, suggests unfair, or even constructive, dismissal and could actually take your/your dads company to the cleaners.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not that dumb Chris, I'll just make something up - with his previous bad record he won't have a leg to stand on.

Imagine your company takes off and you employ staff - then one day a guy says he's having a month off to change nappies. It's a joke!

I'm more interested in this sex club you're running.

its just more proof society has gone soft- there shoodnt even be maternity leave for women

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Why shouldn't the father be allowed time off to spend time with his new born?

Seems a bit heartless not letting them have time off if you ask me.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:Why shouldn't the father be allowed time off to spend time with his new born?

Seems a bit heartless not letting them have time off if you ask me.

He can spend time with his sprog when he gets home from work, just as men have been doing down the ages.

Having Daddy at home for the first few weeks of your life makes no difference to how you turn out. Or does this explain why Owen Coyle is such a knob, because Coyle Snr wasn't at home?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I am all for paternity leave. It's no bloody holiday that's for sure. Men and women are treated as equals in the workplace so why shouldn't men be treated equally and given paternity leave. When my youngest was born I got five days paid paternity leave. it wasn't a lot but I was glad for it.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Down the ages? Paternity leave hasn't been just made up in the last few days, it's been around for years.

You could say the same for the company really, letting have the father a couple of weeks off isn't going to kill the company is it.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:
You could say the same for the company really, letting have the father a couple of weeks off isn't going to kill the company is it.

That's the whole point of this thread you dummy, of course it could kill a small company, namely Whittam International PLC!!

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

If the father is taking 2 weeks off, just do what you do when an employee goes on holiday any other time. It's not rocket science.

Unless you don't allow holidays at your workplace, which wouldn't surprise me. Very Happy

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No time off in my opinion.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mr Magoo wrote:No time off in my opinion.

Your'e a hard taskmaster, Magoo. I reckon you run a tight ship and rule over your staff with an iron lung.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I hate paying for anybody who is not at work, its like theft.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I do agree that small businesses find it a struggle when staff go off on the sick for long periods. Most companies pay 6 months pay for those on the sick. It's hard to keep things going when your workforce isn't producing.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes i think 2 or 3 weeks is reasonable to spend some time with their new family.

certainly not more than that depending on circumstance.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Male employees are only entitled to paternity leave after 6 months' continuous service, and they are allowed 2 weeks.

So Natasha's "month off" is fictitious.

As usual, it's one of those pieces of legislation which is fine in principle, works well usually in larger companies, but penalises small businesses, just like maternity leave does.

If you run a business which employs 10 people and you are interviewing candidates for a vacancy and a female candidate admits she is pregnant or intending to start a family, if there's another candidate of the same ilk, you're not going to give her a job, not because you're a bad person, but because your company can't afford for 10% of its workforce to be absent on full pay for months. You can't run a business like that.

It's not really the same for paternity leave, though, they only get 2 weeks and there's a 6 month qualifying period as I mentioned above. It's only the same as someone taking annual leave.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:Male employees are only entitled to paternity leave after 6 months' continuous service, and they are allowed 2 weeks.

So Natasha's "month off" is fictitious.

As usual, it's one of those pieces of legislation which is fine in principle, works well usually in larger companies, but penalises small businesses, just like maternity leave does.

If you run a business which employs 10 people and you are interviewing candidates for a vacancy and a female candidate admits she is pregnant or intending to start a family, if there's another candidate of the same ilk, you're not going to give her a job, not because you're a bad person, but because your company can't afford for 10% of its workforce to be absent on full pay for months. You can't run a business like that.

It's not really the same for paternity leave, though, they only get 2 weeks and there's a 6 month qualifying period as I mentioned above. It's only the same as someone taking annual leave.

Pretty much my thoughts. If I ran a small company I would be unlikely to recruit a female applicant who was pregnant. It makes no financial sense whatsoever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum