Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mixed emotions for McNaughton

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mixed emotions for McNaughton Empty Mixed emotions for McNaughton Mon Dec 23 2013, 00:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Despite scoring his first goal in over five years against Charlton on Saturday afternoon, Kevin McNaughton confessed that the disappointment of not securing all three points against the Addicks has undoubtedly taken the gloss off his achievement.

The 31-year-old fired home on the stroke of half time to pull Wanderers level in the clash, with a second half rally proving fruitless for the Whites against a stubborn Charlton outfit.

With victory eluding Bolton at the final whistle, the full-back explained that the result is one which he and his teammates were frustrated with given their efforts for much of the clash.

“We had a fifteen minute spell in the first half where we didn’t start too well, but after that I felt we got into the game pretty well and kept possession well and had quite a few chances,” he said following the game.

“It’s been that way the past few weeks though because we need to learn to take our chances - it was a frustrating day in all.

“They played in a similar way to what we’ve been playing away from home during the past few weeks, so it was difficult to break them down.

“Lonners has made a good save for us as well to keep us in it, but the margins are just fine in this league.

“It is disappointing – I felt we were the more dominant team and I thought we created the best chances.”

After netting an unexpected goal – the last of which came for Cardiff City against Barnsley back in May 2008 – McNaughton admitted that he was left with mixed emotions following the game.

“I’ve had about 15 texts already off my mates because it’s been about five years since I last scored,” he said. “On a personal note, it’s great to score but it was such a frustrating afternoon for us and our supporters.

He added: “We’ve been punished for our mistakes and we haven’t taken our chances when we’ve had them - you’ve got to take them when you’re on top in games to kill things off.

“We just need to regroup again – there’s a lot more games to play, so we’ve just got to get on it again at Barnsley.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum