Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Liam Trotter SIGNED (on loan with option to buy)

+14
Copper Dragon
karlypants
BoltonTillIDie
Keegan
xmiles
Barryjw
doffcocker
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
rammywhite
Culcheth_White
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
doffcocker wrote:I could understand us wanting to buy him now for a nominal fee rather than lose out on him in the summer (assuming he's as good as people say), but a loan?

Loan signings can only benefit us short-term. We've got countless bigger short-term worries. As ever, I'm bemused with the happenings up at Horwich.

isn't this just a loan with an "option to buy" clause?
Perhaps wander but it still makes no sense. If DF is this keen on him why not buy him now, put him on a two or three year contract and then if things don't work out we can at least get our money back selling him. His price is only 400K apparently and that's because his contract is up in summer. If he had two years left he'd have cost at least a million. We could in a worst case scenario make at least 100K profit on the guy selling him on so why are we paying his wages for the rest of this season and tying up money from the next window's available funds when we know we have next to nothing to play with anyway? It's a senseless deal, a sort of Buy now Pay later thing.

Last edited by luckyPeterpiper on Fri Jan 31 2014, 16:33; edited 1 time in total

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:This is an odd deal imo. He's out of contract in the summer anyway but we're going to pay for him then? if I might be blunt WHY are we loaning him at all? I understand his price is only about 400K so if we've agreed to pay that for him why not just pay it now, make him our player on a two or three year deal then sell him on if he doesn't work out for a profit however small it may be? Add to that the fact it's 400K less that the manager will have to work with in the summer and this makes no sense at all.

All to do with cash flow. About 10,000 supporters( mugs) like me , in June will be stumping up for our season tickets. That's about £3 m going into club coffers. When that arrives we'll pay for young Liam

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

In the mean time, we're paying his wages (there's gotta be a lot in it for Millwall for them to let their best player leave 6 months prematurely), and can't afford players we're in immediate need of.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

About the only area we don't need more players is midfield so another difficult to understand decision by Dougie. If he keeps this up he will soon achieve the level of genius achieved by the mighty Owen Coyle, Jinsy Praise Him!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We might not lack bodies in midfield but everytime i watch us I always think midfield is one of the glaring weakness' with this team, little composure, devoid of any creativity, very little attacking intent and not much skill. 

There's no area on the pitch we can't add quality too IMO.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Apart from his name, this is a player I have thought could be very useful in our midfield for some time now. I think it is a good piece of business by Doug. We have a number of midfielders who end their tenure with us this summer. Bringing Trotter in now allows Doug to determine which players are best to go forward with as well as gives him additional options for the rest of this season. Welcome to the Trotters, Trotter!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember him being decent - having the name Trotter makes me remember this...

Good bit of business I hope...

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Fair comments Hipster and Keegan but I am starting to wonder how long Dougie needs to make a difference. The last couple of months at the end of last season looked promising but once Dawson left every thing seemed to fall apart. I know money is tight and the board are doing nothing to help him but there are too many decisions I find hard or impossible to understand like his misplaced faith in Knight or Pratley. Why was he so keen to sign CDavies? Why can't he find a left back - not that Tierney was any good either. What does he see in Mason? Why loan out Sordell when he actually seemed to be fitting in and scoring goals in pre-season?

I am one of the few on here that is still prepared to give Dougie some more time but my support for him is gradually disappearing.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
There's no area on the pitch we can't add quality too IMO.

But there's plainly some areas that need strengthening more than others. As it stands, we've got one striker to choose from tomorrow and four, maybe five defenders, all centre halves, except a teenage right back.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I remember him being decent - having the name Trotter makes me remember this...

Good bit of business I hope...
No dispute about him being decent BTID. I just feel the way the deal's been put together makes no sense AND we need players in other areas much more urgently. As a straightforward but now I'd have been quite happy with bringing him in because at worst we could put him on a two to three year deal and if it didn't work out sell him in summer with every chance of making a profit. However, we still need a left back and if DF put this buy now pay later deal together for trotter to let us sign a good LB today then I'll be quite happy with that, it would make sense. I'm not exactly holding my breath for that though because sense is something the club seems unable to spell much less practice without the word "non" in front of it.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:This is an odd deal imo. He's out of contract in the summer anyway but we're going to pay for him then? if I might be blunt WHY are we loaning him at all? I understand his price is only about 400K so if we've agreed to pay that for him why not just pay it now, make him our player on a two or three year deal then sell him on if he doesn't work out for a profit however small it may be? Add to that the fact it's 400K less that the manager will have to work with in the summer and this makes no sense at all.

The deal is on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

It could be a good move this as Dougie still has the £400,000 to spend elsewhere and for the time being we just need to pay his wages and not both. Smile

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie is a canny barsteward. He has to be with the Board messing about with his spending money.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Dougie is a canny barsteward. He has to be with the Board messing about with his spending money.

Plus he is Scottish and they are famous for their parsimony.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Liam Trotter seems to be more of an attacking midfielder, which isn't bad news. He was linked with a few Premier league clubs for around £2 million a couple of years ago.

According to some Millwall fans, his defensive part of the game isn't great and sometimes he goes missing in games, but when he's on form, he's a great player and will score goals.

Liam Trotter is a big lad, he's 6ft2 and we need some height in midfield, especially with us playing Spearing, Danns, Chungy, Mavies etc,

Personally, I think Dougie has got a player with loads of potential, for not much money and we'll be reet!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:Liam Trotter seems to be more of an attacking midfielder, which isn't bad news. He was linked with a few Premier league clubs for around £2 million a couple of years ago.

According to some Millwall fans, his defensive part of the game isn't great and sometimes he goes missing in games, but when he's on form, he's a great player and will score goals.

Liam Trotter is a big lad, he's 6ft2 and we need some height in midfield, especially with us playing Spearing, Danns, Chungy, Mavies etc,

Personally, I think Dougie has got a player with loads of potential, for not much money and we'll be reet!
Culceth I don't think anyone denies he's decent but why this weird deal? If DF rates him then why not pay the 400K, stick him on a contract (say two or three years) and then if he isn't working out sell him in the summer with a reasonable expectation of some profit? Also, while he's definitely got potential we really, REALLY need to strengthen the defence and there seems to be no sign that's going to happen unless Darcy Blake is on his way here (he was released by Palace and Dougie signed him for them from Cardiff. He's a decent Left Back at this level and we already know Dougie is keen on players he's worked with before)

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Doug most likely does not have the 400,000 right now but will be getting highly-paid bodies off the roster in the summer and will be able to spend a bit then. We will most likely pay his full wages and pay have given Millwall a token amount to have him on loan. Works out better, financially. There is a school of thought that says the best defense is a good offense. Trotter will help us to keep the ball away from our crap defenders which also makes sense. Darcy Blake is listed as having played CB and RB - not LB.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Keegan wrote:Doug most likely does not have the 400,000 right now but will be getting highly-paid bodies off the roster in the summer and will be able to spend a bit then. We will most likely pay his full wages and pay have given Millwall a token amount to have him on loan. Works out better, financially. There is a school of thought that says the best defense is a good offense. Trotter will help us to keep the ball away from our crap defenders which also makes sense. Darcy Blake is listed as having played CB and RB - not LB.
my bad on blake, sky says rb and rm misread it Rolling Eyes  I'm sure I remember him as an LB at Cardiff though, maybe he was filling in for someone? Anyway he's a Welsh International and has been very decent at this level. If Dougie IS now looking for a Right Back and to shift Baptiste out to the left I think we could do worse and 'cos he's a free agent he won't cost us anything but his signing on fee, as I said on another thread it's purely speculation on my part but if Dougie is after this guy it would imo be a decent move.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Keegan wrote:Doug most likely does not have the 400,000 right now but will be getting highly-paid bodies off the roster in the summer and will be able to spend a bit then. We will most likely pay his full wages and pay have given Millwall a token amount to have him on loan. Works out better, financially. There is a school of thought that says the best defense is a good offense. Trotter will help us to keep the ball away from our crap defenders which also makes sense. Darcy Blake is listed as having played CB and RB - not LB.
I agree with Keegan, We haven't spent 400k on Trotter, it will just be a minimal amount to Millwall, plus his wages as he's out of contract in the summer. I don't think Trotter will be on massive wages either and I can see Dougie not signing an aging Danns on a permanent deal in the summer, so I think this deal could well work out for us in the long run.

I don't know a lot about him, but if he's a box to box midfielder then he's somebody we've been missing since Holden IMO. Medo and Spearing just don't compliment each other and Pratley isn't good enough really, so despite us having a lot of talented players in midfield the balance hasn't been right for a long time.

I hope he's going to bring that balance and make us more of a threat going forward.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

You have to remember that if the opportunity arises to get a decent player in within budget then you get him.

That's irrespective of you needing players in other areas.

I don't think Douglas is a good manager but I'll bet that he knows that he needs a left back and a forward in, and has been trying to get them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum