Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ex-Gothenburg defender Mikael Dyrestam on verge of signing for Wanderers

+12
Sluffy
rammywhite
finlaymcdanger
terenceanne
aaron_bwfc
MartinBWFC
Culcheth_White
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
karlypants
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are poised to make a decision on whether they will sign Sweden international full-back Mikael Dyrestam.

Dougie Freedman has been chasing the defender since the summer but will decide today if he is in the right physical shape to play Championship football and solve his long-term search for a full-back.

Dyrestam, capped twice by his country, has battled back from a serious knee injury and is believed to have offers from a handful of other European clubs.

But having battled hard to get the 22-year-old to Euxton, where he has trained since the start of the week, Freedman revealed yesterday that he is now close to making a choice on whether to offer the ex-IFK Gothenburg star a contract.

“We really like him,” Freedman said ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Watford. “It isn’t so much a trial because he has really only been doing fitness tests but we have him for one more day and then I’ll see where we are.

“He has impressed me but I know him anyway. I have seen him a few times in Gothenburg and watched him play.

“He has got huge potential – a couple of caps already – and he is the profile of the type of player I want to sign.

“Is he ready to come into the team right now? Probably not, and that is a little concern of mine.

“He plays different positions though his favourite position is full back. He hasn't played for a couple of months because Gothenburg have been off with their winter break.

“My concern is if he could come in and help us right now.”

Freedman has been on Dyrestam’s trail since he left Gothenburg at the end of the Swedish season last autumn but it has taken until now to bring him to the UK.

With Marc Tierney out until April and Tim Ream still seen as a stop-gap at left-back, the scene appears set for Dyrestam to make an impact, provided he can prove his fitness to the club’s medical staff.

And for Freedman it would mark the end of a long fight to get the versatile defender to the club.

“I can only say we’re working extremely hard behind the scenes to put things in place,” he said. “The IT department and scouting department working so hard to find the young talent all over Europe.

“I know it’s not translated onto the pitch right now with results. But it is only a matter of getting results and the whole club will start spiralling upwards.

“We started looking at Dyrestam live last August. Eight times we have watched him and I have been over a couple of times.

“We have built up a relationship with these people so if he did become available we would be closer to the deal than if we had just jumped in yesterday.

“It’s been a long process. He has been here to see if he can step in for Saturday or if he needs another month or another two months.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Another one 'for the future' who will end up getting fucked off after 2 years...

Note to Dougie - we are in the shit NOW! thus, we need players to help the team NOW!

you FUCKING IDIOT!!!!  ::mad:: 

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Though you may not like or "rate" them I think it's nonsense to say he hasn't tried to aid the team "NOW!!!!11!" in favour of the "future" 

Trotter, Danns, Juke, Mason, Feeney, Mcnaughton, Moritz, Hall, Beckford, Baptise, Spearing, Medo, De Ridder, Butterfield, Craig Davies, Tierney. Lee-Barrett. 

vs

Wilkinson, Gregus, Bolger, Mckee, Bastos, White, Fraser. (Can't think of any others do correct me if I'm wrong)

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Another one 'for the future' who will end up getting fucked off after 2 years...

Note to Dougie - we are in the shit NOW! thus, we need players to help the team NOW!

you FUCKING IDIOT!!!!  ::mad:: 
What are you on RR? 
Doesn't the article say that Dougie's concern is if he'll be able to step straight into the first team or not? Having watched him 8 times DF clearly knows what the lad can do and as the article clearly says it's just a matter of fitness after the winter break.
He's clearly NOT looking at someone "for the future" so why are you writing this nonsense?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Though you may not like or "rate" them I think it's nonsense to say he hasn't tried to aid the team "NOW!!!!11!" in favour of the "future" 

Trotter, Danns, Juke, Mason, Feeney, Mcnaughton, Moritz, Hall, Beckford, Baptise, Spearing, Medo, De Ridder, Butterfield, Craig Davies, Tierney. Lee-Barrett. 

vs

Wilkinson, Gregus, Bolger, Mckee, Bastos, White, Fraser. (Can't think of any others do correct me if I'm wrong)
Trotter, Danns, Juke, Mason, Feeney, Mcnaughton, None of those are our players Hipster, they are someone else's and McNaughton isn't here at all, neither is Feeney. In the case of Jutkiewicz and Mason we have sent OUT strikers in order to borrow two more, a nonsensical use of our resources imo. Cravies, Eaves and Sordell all belong to us and while I admit I don't want Sordell back we could have given Cravies his "needed run of games" here and maybe put Eaves in on the bench while awaiting Beckford's return. 

Looking at the others how many are in the team NOW! De Ridder, no. Butterfield. no. Cravies, no not even here as he got loaned out. Tierney, Lee-Barret, Moritz all listed as injured. 

So of all those help us now players who ACTUALLY BELONG TO US we have just three from your long but distinguished list.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Though you may not like or "rate" them I think it's nonsense to say he hasn't tried to aid the team "NOW!!!!11!" in favour of the "future" 

vs

Trotter, Danns, Juke, Mason, Feeney, Mcnaughton, None of those are our players Hipster, they are someone else's and McNaughton isn't here at all, neither is Feeney. In the case of Jutkiewicz and Mason we have sent OUT strikers in order to borrow two more, a nonsensical use of our resources imo. Cravies, Eaves and Sordell all belong to us and while I admit I don't want Sordell back we could have given Cravies his "needed run of games" here and maybe put Eaves in on the bench while awaiting Beckford's return. 

Looking at the others how many are in the team NOW! De Ridder, no. Butterfield. no. Cravies, no not even here as he got loaned out. Tierney, Lee-Barret, Moritz all listed as injured. 

So of all those help us now players who ACTUALLY BELONG TO US we have just three from your long but distinguished list.
But as Dougie has said all along, the loan players have been brought in on a temporary basis because the players he's loaned out and the youngsters mentioned aren't good enough.

So if he thinks the players who actually belong to us are shite or not ready, and he knows that he'll be able to release some of the dead weight in summer, why wouldn't he bring in players on a loan basis just to tide us over until then?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's not my list btw thats just the list. 

I know their status too, so clearly they were players for the immediate future, I.E to improve (In DF's opinion) the team as we stand/stood. 

which goes against the argument that he only buys "players for the future" to "fuck them off in 2 years" 

If anything he hasn't/hasn't been able to look to the future enough sadly.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

That would be a fair point wanderlust IF we were improving the squad but we aren't. Look at the results mate. 

I'll admit that Jutkiewicz has surprised me, he looks far better than I thought he would based on his stats and what little video footage I was able to find but he's only played three games so far so I'll withold judgement for the moment. 

Mason was hardly world beating last time he was here but I blame DF for that. the system we play doesn't suit Mason and it still won't. McNaughton isn't here, ditto Feeney who were both really decent imo. Trotter and Danns, well, Trotter looks unfit, Danns is poor on the ball and neither are better than what we have already. 

This Defender we're looking at seems to me to have some potential, you don't get international caps for being rubbish at his age however it's clear from DF's own comments there are serious question marks over the man's fitness which cast a major doubt over his ability to help in the here and now.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I can understand why. 
In summer he'll be releasing a few high earners which will give him options for the first time. At that stage it would seem sensible to assess which, if any youth players will be ready for next season before he splashes any of the cash he's saved on new players. He doesn't appear to think the young 'uns will be ready this season, so a summer evaluation would be perfect and if more need to be axed/replaced so be it.
But hopefully a few will come into regular contention.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:It's not my list btw thats just the list. 

I know their status too, so clearly they were players for the immediate future, I.E to improve (In DF's opinion) the team as we stand/stood. 

which goes against the argument that he only buys "players for the future" to "fuck them off in 2 years" 

Hipster, my feeling is that he spends too much time talking about the future and not enough about the now. Worse, he bigs up our "prospects" one minute then says they aren't good enough the next. 

I am the first to agree that he faces awfully hard challenges due to the finances but he is failing in his primary goal of motivating the players we have now to perform at their best. Dougie needs to work on the now much harder, admit his system doesn't work with the current squad and change it to one that does. I'd be happy if all he did was steady the ship while bringing the wage bill into some sort of control but he isn't even doing that much. 

I agree that in this case Reebok Rebel is wrong, DF wants Dyerstram for immediate deployment but I can well understand the frustration Rebel feels with Dougie saying the lad might not be fit enough to play yet. How many times have we heard that already about others?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Might be annoying but this is the world we're operating in, we can't afford the big money buys, we can't afford these "splashy" loans with fees and slices of premier league wages, we need to be creative. 

And I'm not too worried about his interviews tbh, in fact I couldn't care at all. More concerned that he starts to get things right on the pitch, like you say.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Might be annoying but this is the world we're operating in, we can't afford the big money buys, we can't afford these "splashy" loans with fees and slices of premier league wages, we need to be creative. 

And I'm not too worried about his interviews tbh, in fact I couldn't care at all. More concerned that he starts to get things right on the pitch, like you say.
I agree but he doesn't help himself with his interviews imo. Sadly I feel he is incapable of getting it right on the pitch Hipster, that's why I feel he should go. That said I believe the changes need to start at the very top, Gartside should be first out of the door.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Apparently, Mikael Dyrestam has gone home and there is no deal!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:Apparently, Mikael Dyrestam has gone home and there is no deal!
Shame he didn't hack it, but what can you do? Either he is the LB solution or not and if he's not, good on Dougie for sending him back.

Doesn't help our situation though. The search goes on...

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:Apparently, Mikael Dyrestam has gone home and there is no deal!
Shame he didn't hack it, but what can you do? Either he is the LB solution or not and if he's not, good on Dougie for sending him back.

Doesn't help our situation though. The search goes on...
It looks like wages weren't the issue. I can only presume the lad wasn't up to stepping straight in the first team, which is surely what we need right now.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nixon saying he's not signing, and gone back to Sweden.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

His fitness couldn't have been great to start with, with the two injuries he has had over the last few years so it wasn't going to be great after not playing for a couple of months.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

So, it looks like we didn't sign Dyrestam because his club wanted around £320K for us to sign him, due to his age.

I wonder have much it would cost to sack Dougie and all of his staff? Alot more than that, i'd imagine.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:So, it looks like we didn't sign Dyrestam because his club wanted around £320K for us to sign him, due to his age.

I wonder have much it would cost to sack Dougie and all of his staff? Alot more than that, i'd imagine.
Thought he was a free agent?
I suspect we might see this lad again at some point.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:So, it looks like we didn't sign Dyrestam because his club wanted around £320K for us to sign him, due to his age.

Thought he was a free agent?
I suspect we might see this lad again at some point.
Due to his young age, you have to pay training fees, usually just a few hundred thousand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum